• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Older rabbits that could be pregnant?

So I started working on a farm/school to help with their chickens, which I know a lot about, but they also have some rabbits, which I know VERY little about. When I got here they had the rabbits running around in the previously occupied chicken coop. I've since moved them back to their cages because the males were fighting and they were getting very close to tunneling out. 3 females and 2 uncastrated males. These rabbits are, as far as I've gathered, around 5 years old. I'm wondering what the likeliness of these females being pregnant are? They were in the coop for about month before I got here, which seems to be the average gestation period. These rabbits will not be afforded the luxury of a vet visit to check for pregnancy or any other health issue so I would like advice on what I can do for them. If they do have a chance of pregnancy, would it be safe for me to check without hurting the fetuses? I hope this is an ok forum to ask this stuff, since it seems more pet oriented.

P.s. I will also be posting about their abysmal living conditions in housing for advice on that.

Oh dear! But glad the bunnies have now got you on their side. Can you report them to the RSPCA? It is not easy to feel if a rabbit is pregnant and if they are, what could be done? It sounds as if the owners know nothing about rabbits at all nor care. I hope you can help them in some way.

Five year old females can be pregnant. They were with two males for over a month so they had plenty of opportunities to mate.Unlike animals with a season or cycle, rabbits are induced ovulators-so they can get pregnant anytime they mate.
Palpitating abdomen may allow you to feel babies if done properly at the right point in pregnancy-halfway point from what I recall.
Good luck.

I am surprised there are no fights between the girls if they have not been neutered and they live in a confined space. Is there any history on them at all?

Maybe ask if there have been baby rabbits before? Someone may know, although it is highly likely that the babies did not survive so may not have made it the point where they were seen outside the nest. If there have been previous litters, then they are likely to be pregnant.

I'm glad they have you to look out for them now.

They have not been pregnant before, I believe this is the first time they were put together. I think the intention for them at first was meat rabbits, but that didn't work out and they are just used for a compost source. I will try palpating today, because it can't really do any harm if I'm gentle, but I have no idea what stage they would be at in pregnancy. They also may be overweight (which I will also try and feel them up for today) as they receive a diet of mostly pellets and some greens from the garden. I figure there may be less of a chance in that case, but the induced ovulation thing makes me less hopeful. If they have babies and I looking at infanticide since they are in unnatural conditions or the females not being able to birth well due to age and dying? I will be talking to the administrator of the school today about this to try and come up with a plan.

They have not been pregnant before, I believe this is the first time they were put together. I think the intention for them at first was meat rabbits, but that didn't work out and they are just used for a compost source. I will try palpating today, because it can't really do any harm if I'm gentle, but I have no idea what stage they would be at in pregnancy. They also may be overweight (which I will also try and feel them up for today) as they receive a diet of mostly pellets and some greens from the garden. I figure there may be less of a chance in that case, but the induced ovulation thing makes me less hopeful. If they have babies and I looking at infanticide since they are in unnatural conditions or the females not being able to birth well due to age and dying? I will be talking to the administrator of the school today about this to try and come up with a plan.

Personally I wouldn't palpate them, a vet should do it, and even then I think it's not always clear what they're feeling. You could end up hurting them, or not knowing what you're feeling. It's tricky from what I understand [emoji51]

I think I'd talk to the admin at the school asap, it doesn't sound like they're in good conditions at all, and the diet sounds bad, do they have any access to hay or grass? They really need separating as rabbits can do serious damage to each other.

So glad you're looking out for them, poor buns :(

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

I agree I wouldn't palpate unless I was a trained professional. Hope they get the help they need, and thank you for caring about them bless them

Ok, I will hold off on the palpating since I was on the fence about it anyway. From what I read you can only tell between days 10-14 so the chances of me even feeling anything are low. They do not have access to hay. I think they've had pellets their whole lives with some greens. I've been giving them kale, lettuce, moringa, Spanish needle, and occasional fruit since that's all easily accessible from the garden. Is changing their diet at this age a good idea? I could start them slow on hay if that will work. There are 5 rabbits and 4 raised cages so I could separate all the females, but would have to give them water bowls instead of the bottle waterers because there are only 2.

Hay should be their main food with a small amount of pellets. Bowls are actually better for them. If they are getting on well perhaps it would not be such a good idea to separate them - at least they have the friendship of the others. It is so difficult to advise without seeing them etc and you say the girls are not fighting. The hay/grass keeps their teeth worn down and is also good for the health of their digestive systems so it isn't optional. Good luck with the owner. Are you in UK? As far as having babies goes, if conditions are very poor they will possibly re-ingest them but hopefully this won't happen now the boys are separate.

I will push the hay then. He is open to renovations but seems to be convinced the rabbits are not stressed. They are relatively calm rabbits and to not bite, but are still not exactly cuddly or easy to hold. They accept petting but don't really look relaxed. I know very little about rabbit behaviors and I've only known these ones a week so it's hard to gauge any stressed behavior. I'm in the US. I did make a post in the housing category showing their dwellings but I can take pics of them rabbits close up of that will help.

Back