Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Advice on bonding please

Quote Originally Posted by tonibun View Post
    Good luck for tomorrow. Try to remain calm and matter of fact, pop them together with something to eat and remember they need a friend and it is only a small percentage of rabbits which don't want or like other bunnies.
    Thankyou :-)

Wise Old Thumper

Millions of vibes for tomorrow. Bonding rabbits is certainly stressful, but as tonibun says just try to remain calm. Have everything you need close at hand and use lots of food as a distraction.

Awww loads and loads of good wishes for a successful bond!

Give me Guinea Pigs any day! Put them in together, job done!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I agree re bonding guinea pigs!!! Mind you I really enjoyed my one and only rabbit bonding even though it wasnt stress free.

Wise Old Thumper

Quote Originally Posted by *lily* View Post
    Awww loads and loads of good wishes for a successful bond!

Give me Guinea Pigs any day! Put them in together, job done!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The girls are usually easy but I've just put 2 girls in with a boy and girl and one of the girls won't leave the box she is in. It's been 3 days now and I hope she will be ok. I put them together to make life easier for me with this weather. The 2 I have moved were outside but they are now in the shed. They do make a lot of mess unlike the bunnies who are all litter trained.

Unfortunately the bonding session didn't go well today :-( We did it downstairs where the bunnies don't go, I also put a new shower curtain sheet thing on the floor to make sure it was definitely a neutral smell. Put a baby pen around to make a fairly small area. Put a few chew things, toilet rolls, boxes which neither of them had. SHadow (the new male bunny) explored, Hazel stamped her foot at first, explored for a second, went passed him without acknowledging him twice, they both ignored each other but without warning he went past her again, slowly not fast or anything, and she did a grunting noise at him and bit him on the side near his bum seemingly for no reason. luckily my partner grabbed her quick before they could start fighting. I was going to wait a minute and try again but she seemed so aggressive towards him. I wonder if the problem is she settled in so quickly when we got her and she doesn't get phased by much, so maybe that neutral ground kept her interested for a short while and then remembered she didn't want him around. I wonder if the house isn't going to be neutral enough as she quite happily pushes past into any room you let her in and decides it is hers too! After we put them back to their rooms, Shadow didn't seem to bothered, Hazel was very clingy, putting her head down for attention so I think it upset her more than it did him. Luckily it doesn't seem like Shadow got hurt. any advice is appreciated. Do I continue again tomorrow? Thanks

Wise Old Thumper

I'm sorry it hasn't gone too well for you, it's usually always the females which spoil things. Maybe this has to be a slow bond for her sake, put in 2 pens close together but not able to touch (bite) one another. Lots of people do this kind of bond over on UK Rabbits with success. So don't lose hope. If you try this method and let one of the rabbits free roam this will cause aggressive behaviour, so maybe just leave them for a few weeks in close proximity. Hopefully she will realise that he is not a threat.

Quote Originally Posted by tonibun View Post
    I'm sorry it hasn't gone too well for you, it's usually always the females which spoil things. Maybe this has to be a slow bond for her sake, put in 2 pens close together but not able to touch (bite) one another. Lots of people do this kind of bond over on UK Rabbits with success. So don't lose hope. If you try this method and let one of the rabbits free roam this will cause aggressive behaviour, so maybe just leave them for a few weeks in close proximity. Hopefully she will realise that he is not a threat.
    Thankyou, yesterday we decided to try in the garden instead as that is 100% neutral to both of them. We put up a couple of baby pen gating things together to make the area. they both were a bit scared at first, did some exploring, some munching on the grass etc. They went near each other a few times but didn't take much notice. After about 10 minutes Hazel did come near shadow but I kept my (gloved) had inbetween just in case. She went off exploring again. We would try again today but it is raining/sleeting! Hopefully we can try again tomorrow :-)

Wise Old Thumper

Fingers crossed the weather is better for you tomorrow. Time that they spend together where neither rabbit starts to become aggressive is what they need to be able to trust each other.

Wise Old Thumper

Quote Originally Posted by Sammy&Patch View Post
    Thankyou, yesterday we decided to try in the garden instead as that is 100% neutral to both of them. We put up a couple of baby pen gating things together to make the area. they both were a bit scared at first, did some exploring, some munching on the grass etc. They went near each other a few times but didn't take much notice. After about 10 minutes Hazel did come near shadow but I kept my (gloved) had inbetween just in case. She went off exploring again. We would try again today but it is raining/sleeting! Hopefully we can try again tomorrow :-)
    This sounds better. Hazel is probably acting territorially in the house and this is always a problem with a female.