Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Advice on bonding please

A fairly dry day today so we took the opportunity earlier to take them outside again. this time I had a smallish mesh panel in with us so I could keep it between them if they got close, this worked better than my hand inbetween as I could let them get closer and see if they would attack rather than stopping them possibly unnecessarily. I know I will need to stop the barrier eventually but I figured for now I will try this way. I kept sort of following them around and moving it so they didn't notice too much it was between them. Hazel went for Shadow once (which he took no notice of) but we moved her away and let them carry on again. They spent most of the time ignoring each other eating grass, a few times they sniffed each other through the mesh but didn't attack (they may have done without it there I don't know), Hazel followed Shadow a few times so she may have attacked him if she could but she didn't seem to be being aggressive. Mostly he ignored her and she also spent most of the time munching. They were even munching right next to each other at a couple of points with the barrier inbetween not worried about the other being there. This session was about 35 minutes long so I would say it was pretty successful. I'm thinking try this for a few days (weather permitting!) until they seem ready to try without the mesh. In the house they can still see each other daily through the mesh on the gate that seperates them. It's only at night that they are properly apart. Fingers crossed for more good sessions :-)

Wise Old Thumper

This sounds positive. I would be happy with that

Wise Old Thumper

This sounds good.

Just a quick update, sunday we did another shortish session outside, went well. Monday we did about 35 minutes but had to come in due to it raining! Today we did nearly an hour! Each time I had the mesh panel between them, moving it as they moved. neither showed any aggression today, they both were busy munching grass or sniffing each other through the mesh, then going off to munch again. Shadow did bite at the mesh and try to move it a couple of times but mostly I kept it so they didn't really notice it was there. Near the end Shadow was getting faster moving and did some binkys, I had to be quick to get the mesh between them as Hazel seemed unnerved with his fast movements. She didn't get aggressive but I think she would have gone for him if the mesh wasn't between. So I am going to continue this way for the next few days and then take it from there :-)

Wise Old Thumper

You don't want her to become territorial over her side of the mesh.

Today was a bit mixed. I did about 1 hour 10 minutes. I tried to use the mesh divide less and my hand inbetween instead. Mostly it went well, a mix of them ignoring each other munching and a bit of interest now and then to each other. Hazel was more interested in Shadow, I allowed her to sniff the side of Shadow without a barrier but with my hand next to her, she was getting a bit too interested so I pushed her a little bit away, she was quite intent so I moved her again and put the mesh in the way. She went off eating again, Shadow seemed none the wiser that anything was happening. I continued like this, at one point they were munching pretty much nose to nose with my hand ready. Unfortunately on one occasion I was letting Hazel get near Shadow again and she was sniffing near his bum, he didn't seem to notice but decided to do a wee right then! It didn't get her but I'm guessing the sent aggravated her, she tried to get to him, not exactly aggressive but maybe wanting to mount him. I put the mesh panel in the way and she ran round the other way to try to get to him, I moved it and blocked her, she ran back the other way to get to him and I blocked her again. He didn't take much notice and hopped off, I blocked her again and started strkoking her. She settled but in a submissive sort of way. when I stopped she shook her ears and started munching again. I let them do a bit more munching and then ended the session. I was pleased that she didn't get aggressive with me when I was stopping her and wasn't trying to bite or make grunting noises etc. But she wanted to do something maybe dominate him I'm really not sure!

The last few days haven't gone great. Unfortunately the area I live in has tons of seagulls and the last few days when I've been outside with hazel and shadow, they have been so noisy. Shadow seems to have got used to the noise and only sometimes stops in fear, mainly he just carries on eating. hazel has been very scared, particularly yesterday, when another lot of birds (geese maybe) were also about flying overhead and adding to the constant sqwarking of the seagulls. She kept crouching down and kind of creeping along. She bit at shadow when I let them near each other, i think as she was scared. Mostly they have been completely fine through the barrier mesh eating near no problem. If I let them sniff each other a bit they are fine, nose to nose etc. But allowing any more freedom they start to get into a scuffle. So they seem to be tolerant of each other but I don't know how to get past this stage. Particularly now my neutral ground is upsetting hazel. Have done 1 hour sessions but cut short at half hour today as hazel was just scared the whole time and only stopped to munch grass a couple of times for a few seconds. In the house she is so brave and doesn't get scared easily but that isn't neutral ground. It is sooooooo frustrating, those annoying seagulls, we have a bt building just across the road with a massive flat roof and that's where the seagulls congregate hense the constant loud noise!

Wise Old Thumper

That's a shame about the birds. I can imagine it would be a problem though. It's hard to know what to suggest really, unless there's somewhere in the house where neither of them have been for any length of time, particularly Hazel as she is more likely to be territorial.

hazel is a little less uptight today, the seagulls aren't around much at the minute. Maybe i need to find what times in the day they are around less. Hazel has her 2 month checkup tomorrow for her cancer check, fingers crossed i haven't noticed any signs of illness. If she is still ok I'm maybe going to look at options of seeing if someone can take them in and bond them. There is a place I know that does it but it's a 4 hour drive away so not practical! i'm not sure how it works as I would imagine they could bond but then still have issues when back home again as it's Hazels territory, she ha pretty much been everywhere in the house!

Wise Old Thumper

Sending lots of vibes and good wishes for Hazel's check-up tomorrow. A 4 hour drive seems a lot. Perhaps someone on here knows and could recommend someone closer to you?