• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

French lops 3 months old - introducing them to veggies

Hey my French lop sisters have turned 12 weeks old. I tried to introduce a small amount of celery and a few tiny tiny bits of apple, to get them gradually used to veggies and because I’m still letting them get used to me, I wanted them to eat from my hand, which they did.

However one of them has had a little bit of diarrhoea - it tends to come out in very small amounts when she’s hopping around.

I’m thinking maybe it’s too early to introduce veggies. When should I start and how much?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hey my French lop sisters have turned 12 weeks old. I tried to introduce a small amount of celery and a few tiny tiny bits of apple, to get them gradually used to veggies and because I’m still letting them get used to me, I wanted them to eat from my hand, which they did.

However one of them has had a little bit of diarrhoea - it tends to come out in very small amounts when she’s hopping around.

I’m thinking maybe it’s too early to introduce veggies. When should I start and how much?

Three months should be OK, but as one of them is not tolerating them well, I should wait another week or so. Certainly go back to feeding just hay until her digestive system is completely back to normal. When you try again I would try just one food at a time and monitor for any reaction. Give a very small amount to start with and gradually increase over a few days if all is well.

I would think it's probably the apple that caused the problem because of its sugar content. Perhaps stick to a leafy green vegetable or herbs (e.g. parsley, coriander or mint) to start with.

I hope her tummy is back to normal soon.

Three months should be OK, but as one of them is not tolerating them well, I should wait another week or so. Certainly go back to feeding just hay until her digestive system is completely back to normal. When you try again I would try just one food at a time and monitor for any reaction. Give a very small amount to start with and gradually increase over a few days if all is well.

I would think it's probably the apple that caused the problem because of its sugar content. Perhaps stick to a leafy green vegetable or herbs (e.g. parsley, coriander or mint) to start with.

I hope her tummy is back to normal soon.

Thank you I appreciate the advice. I will make sure they only eat hay tomorrow and when Lottie’s stools are normal again I’ll try something different. Herbs sound good :)

How's Lottie today?

She seems fine thanks for asking... no unusual stools in the pen last night and nothing I’m worried about while they’ve been out hopping around the house so far today. She is currently very happily swinging around and bashing things with a kitchen roll tube....

bac12e76d6cf0a7fa155d4a963a6e6e5.jpg

She seems fine thanks for asking... no unusual stools in the pen last night and nothing I’m worried about while they’ve been out hopping around the house so far today. She is currently very happily swinging around and bashing things with a kitchen roll tube....

bac12e76d6cf0a7fa155d4a963a6e6e5.jpg

Brilliant :)

Back