• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Article in The Telegraph

This sounds admirable. Every bunny needs a friend. Are the vets thinking about making provisions in the law for people who need a single bunny if your bunny loses his/her partner? or if you want to have a trio?

I understood it to suggest that the 'pet vending legislation' should be amended, so that when buying a rabbit, people should only be allowed to buy more than one. If that's the case, I don't think it would apply to adoptions from rescue, nor of course private sales in the free-ads.

If I were to take a guess, I could see it getting watered down and the requirement merely being for the seller to advise buyers of the fact that rabbits do better with the company of another rabbit.

............ and of course we know how reliable Pet Shops are regarding the sexing of Baby Rabbits........................

............ and of course we know how reliable Pet Shops are regarding the sexing of Baby Rabbits........................
Hah! I thought it was just me that was thinking that [emoji38] I'm such a pessimist [emoji38]

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

People have a lot of problems when they buy 2 rabbits. You read about it all the time on other groups. Mis-sexing babies is too easy resulting in unwanted litters. Plus fighting when they reach a certain age. It's much better to get one at a time if you are not experienced and wait until that one is neutered.

People have a lot of problems when they buy 2 rabbits. You read about it all the time on other groups. Mis-sexing babies is too easy resulting in unwanted litters. Plus fighting when they reach a certain age. It's much better to get one at a time if you are not experienced and wait until that one is neutered.

Yes, that's true. However, people also have a lot of problems bonding when they get one at a time. I could imagine also the fear of bonding might put people off buying a friend. The only sure way is to sell rabbits in neutered, bonded pairs or groups, however that's just not feasible.

.........better still, no Pet Shops selling Animals at all x

I understood it to suggest that the 'pet vending legislation' should be amended, so that when buying a rabbit, people should only be allowed to buy more than one. If that's the case, I don't think it would apply to adoptions from rescue, nor of course private sales in the free-ads.

If I were to take a guess, I could see it getting watered down and the requirement merely being for the seller to advise buyers of the fact that rabbits do better with the company of another rabbit.

That makes sense.

They should say not sold at all in pet shops, and rescues as many do re-home in pairs of to go with a single bun for pairing

Back