• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bonding help/guidance and thoughts please

Craig 1965

Warren Veteran
I've read the basic bonding advice re bonding a duo and what I am asking for please from everybun is some of your far greater experience than I with bonding.
Now, I will be brutally honest, I am extremely nervous and anxious and scarred of bonding Lillian and Leo because everything with me is still very raw about the loss of Henry and the effect that has had not just on us, but also on Lillian and the dynamics here.
I am not allowing any physical contact between Lillian and Leo until at least the end of February due to the hormonse situation with Leo. It is not fair on him, nor is it fair on Lillian and I really don't want to emotionally hurt Lillian or allow her to be physically hurt. The same applies to Leo but he has never been bonded.
I have spent the last 4 days with Leo as far as I can, allowing him to become used to our surroundings, and also his new hutch. I have given him garden time as much as I can at about an hour intervals and then rotating with Lillian so as not to create an imbalance. Lillian watches from the sanctuary of the kitchen/diner and I do not want to create a tension or feeling of intruder although Leo is in the garden and so therefore on Lillians patch.
I have as far as possible, mixed scents about by swapping poops and used straw from toilet areas between the living environments.
I have also allowed Leo to be in the kitchen/diner area twice whilst Lillian was up top of garden out of sight of this, so Leo could explore and scent up areas - which he has done with frequent poop dropping and chin rubbing. My logic is to get Lillian used to the scent of Leo.
Leo presents as non agressive towards us - I've seen nothing whatsoever to suggest any agression at me - quite the opposite. He is extremely gentle and controlled and loves a fuss. This is where I become nervous because whilst he has a gentle nature at us, he may also react differently in a bonding situation.
The dilema I have, is that a neutral area is almost an impossibility here. The garden isn't, the kitchen/diner is Lillians home and she is also very much at home in the living room. The garage is also not neutral because again, Lillian (and Henry) used to hang out there,
Spare room is not an option due to space so we've got a hallway and the bathroom. Neither ideal.
The first video below shows how Lillian 'tends' to sit outside near Leo's hutch at the moment. I'm not sure what signals this gives off to be honest. I don't know if she's deliberately antagonising Leo by giving him the stare, and acting like she couldn't care. Or if she is just being blase about it and worknig him out. It's not an easy sign to read.

The second video shows recent interaction and slightly concerns me due to the agression or apparent aggression between Leo and Lillian and this scares me because I don't want this to kick off during the bond. Of course, I know some will say that there will be an element of this - it is how it is, but that doesn't make it easier on me.
When Leo's hormoses settle, will he change in terms of aggression?
Thing is, Leo is on Lillians patch and she is rightly protective of that.
Second video

My readings suggest a small enclosre initially with a person being present with goves, towel etc but I've not yet had an aggressive situation in a bond. I've been unbelievably fortunate. Lillian and Henry were seperated for several weeks but were only feet apart and both were relatively new to the house so there wasn't a territorial issue. One day, Henry went outside, Lillian followed and it just happened. No flare ups, nothing.
But at the moment, I'm sort of tied in this limbo situation of having one in, one out, and giving both bunnies similar time outside and showing both bunnies our affection so as not to make one feel less part of the family than the other.
Please can you give me any guidance/help/things that I could try that would minimise the potential problems. It's still several weeks away, but I am really anxious that if I cann't get a bond with Lillian then I am in worse case scenario and I don't know what to do.
Thank you all in advance for your help
Craig x

Most rabbits will bond as they have a deep seated need for companionship, so you have this fact on your side. I have never bothered about 6 weeks unless the Doe is not spayed as any male will or should chase the female, even if he has been neutered for a few years - it makes no difference as he is still a male. A lot of people bond their rabbits in a small pen with a lot of hay and some treats and, if there is no fighting, there is no need to separate them. Because the longer they are together with no fighting, the sooner you will be able to leave them without supervision. If you start early in the morning, by evening you will have a reasonable idea as to how it's going, and if needs be, you can separate them for the night but by the second night you should be able to trust them. I have always done this and had almost 100% success. The problem scenario is if |Lillian decides to be awkward or even aggressive then you will need to take it slower so she can get used to the idea. But you won't know this until you try it. I can't read her thoughts from the videos, she might be guarding the hutch in case Leo comes out, when she will attack him. or, she may be sitting there because she wants to be near him, another bunny! I have to go pick my car up now - MOT and a flat battery.

My view on bonding is that the character of the bunnies is more important than the skill/experience of the bonder. Some rabbits will be very laid back and others less so. I also think that you need to be flexible whilst you are bonding and modify the arrangements according to your instincts and gut feelings. Tonibun has made some sensible points. As I've said on one of your other threads, I don't think you can read anything, positive or negative, from how Lillian and Leo interact with a barrier between them. It will almost certainly be different and they will feel differently, especially regarding their confidence, once the barrier is removed.

I think a bathroom or hallway would be fine. As Tonibun said, it's usual for the male to chase the female, who should have enough space to move away. Obviously don't use anything in the bonding area, which Lillian has used, such as a litter tray. Food is a good distraction technique. I would make sure that you start the bonding when both you and your wife can be around. One person can oversee the bonding, but there will be times when that person will need the loo or some food/drink. Use very thick gloves and separate quickly if things look aggressive. It's amazing how quickly a bite injury can occur. On the other hand some interaction will occur and if it isn't aggressive, you don't want to separate too early.

Lillian will know, from her bond with Henry, how she should behave. Leo on the other hand is an unknown quantity as far as Does are concerned. Lillian might actually be the closest that he has ever been to another rabbit :)

If things are going well, it's best not to separate them. I think you will have a very good indication quite early on whether they will bond successfully or not.

Back