• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

New Hay Impacting Urine?

bunjour

New Kit
For the past two weeks, I've noticed my rabbit's urine has been smelling unusually fishy. She's a senior rabbit, but very active and in fine health according to the vet checkup she had last month. This coincides with my spouse and I accidentally buying her a bag of Burgess Excel Feeding Hay with Dandelion and Marigold, instead of the usual plain variety. I'm just wondering: Is it possible the Dandelion and Marigold are making her urine smell more strongly? It's still 98% hay, but she doesn't usually have these in her diet and I'm wondering if it's impacted the odour...

For the past two weeks, I've noticed my rabbit's urine has been smelling unusually fishy. She's a senior rabbit, but very active and in fine health according to the vet checkup she had last month. This coincides with my spouse and I accidentally buying her a bag of Burgess Excel Feeding Hay with Dandelion and Marigold, instead of the usual plain variety. I'm just wondering: Is it possible the Dandelion and Marigold are making her urine smell more strongly? It's still 98% hay, but she doesn't usually have these in her diet and I'm wondering if it's impacted the odour...

Diet can affect the colour and smell of a Rabbit's Urine- Dandelions in particular can make the urine very dark orangey-brown in colour.

http://www.greendale.co.uk/rabbit_urinalysis.html

That said the 'Fishy' odour is not something I would consider to be a normal thing and it might indicate that your Rabbit has a Urinary Tract Infection. Is she a spayed Doe ?

I would advise you to consult your Vet if the 'Fishy' odour to the urine continues

I agree. You're quite fortunate here as it should be simple enough to determine if it is the hay by switching back to the plain one. If this doesn't resolve in 48 hours I'd get her checked over

Back