• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

What type of hay is the best to feed??

Bojangles

Young Bun
Hello, I have always fed my rabbits either meadow hay or Timothy hay, but which one would recommend??
I have a 5/6 year old lop, we have just been to the vets and he all okay, except for his back teeth a slightly long, I was told it Wasn’t anything to worry about now and that I should change his diet to help him to grind his teeth down naturally before his next check up on his teeth in 6 months! So I am now feeding him only table spoon of pellets a day to encourage him to eat more hay.
I have read that Timothy hay is thicker and helps with rabbits teeth however it is a lot richer, so I’m not sure what the best hay would be for him? Any suggestions please ?

One of my rabbits, Frosty, needed a couple of dentals within months of each other, thankfully, since I found some hay he will eat much more of, he hasn’t needed a dental in over a year. The other change I made in his life was adopt him a rabbit friend and she encourages him to eat more hay too.

It is well worth asking for samples of hay from different companies, my rabbits both love Timothy hay from Timothy hay.co.uk, also haybox and they like sweet green hay from nature’s own too. There’s hardly any waste and it’s good quality. I think whatever hay they will eat lots of is good, and a variety is also good too.

One of my rabbits, Frosty, needed a couple of dentals within months of each other, thankfully, since I found some hay he will eat much more of, he hasn’t needed a dental in over a year. The other change I made in his life was adopt him a rabbit friend and she encourages him to eat more hay too.

It is well worth asking for samples of hay from different companies, my rabbits both love Timothy hay from Timothy hay.co.uk, also haybox and they like sweet green hay from nature’s own too. There’s hardly any waste and it’s good quality. I think whatever hay they will eat lots of is good, and a variety is also good too.

This for me is key. There is not going to be much difference, nutrient wise, between different types of hay (apart from Alfalfa). The nutrients will also vary slightly depending on when it's been cut.

So try to find a hay that your rabbit really loves and therefore eats a lot of. You could also hand cut him some grass, which will also be beneficial to his teeth.

Thank you, I order my hay from haybox so I might order some Timothy hay this month and try him with that and see which one he prefers! His run is attached to his house on paving so I will try get him out into the other run on the grass more days when I’m at home. Thank you, hopefully they’ll be some improvement on his teeth when we go back, really want to avoid him having to have dentals!

Back