• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

How to stop a house bunny pulling up carpets

Tiggertime

Young Bun
Tigger's a fully fledged house bunny, gets loads of attention, has toys, chews, food here there and everywhere, hay, etc, but now and then he just wants to pull up carpets. He gets told off, and knows when he's been naughty 'cos he then comes and gives us kisses to say sorry, but how else can we stop him being a little git?

He's also destructive with clothing and bedding when it's within reach.

I had a bunny who pulled up the carpet on the stairs one day. The reason was, I think, that there was a bit of 'give' where it wasn't stuck down right, so when she pulled at a fibre, the carpet underneath moved upwards. It's the only reason I could think of, as she never showed any interest in any of the rest of the same carpet, or others.

House bunnies are just so destructive critters! Has he got a friend?

I had a bunny who pulled up the carpet on the stairs one day. The reason was, I think, that there was a bit of 'give' where it wasn't stuck down right, so when she pulled at a fibre, the carpet underneath moved upwards. It's the only reason I could think of, as she never showed any interest in any of the rest of the same carpet, or others.

House bunnies are just so destructive critters! Has he got a friend?

No, just us. He was a rescue and quite young when we first got him. We've been on the lookout for a friend for him but not had much luck so far as we'd prefer another rescue. We're reluctant to just go out and get one too in case they don't get on. The charity we got him through are quite good in that they arrange play dates and help with bonding but so far there hasn't been anybody for him.

Well he's clearly not missing out on anything - its just a bunny on a mission & there's often no stopping that. A friend might help curb destructive behaviour but equally a friend might help him dig up the carpet. Good luck with finding him sombun

Tigger's a fully fledged house bunny, gets loads of attention, has toys, chews, food here there and everywhere, hay, etc, but now and then he just wants to pull up carpets. He gets told off, and knows when he's been naughty 'cos he then comes and gives us kisses to say sorry, but how else can we stop him being a little git?

He's also destructive with clothing and bedding when it's within reach.

Hi! I also have two free roam house bunnies and can vouch that a friend for your bunny is unlikely to stop them from digging/plucking carpet, from my experience anyways. My bunny has always tried to pluck and dig up carpet (which she is told off for) and since getting her husbun, that hasn’t changed haha. In fact he actually tries to dig a little as well but isn’t half as destructive as her. The best ways I’ve found to reduce how often she digs/plucks carpet is just through simple training. Whilst it doesn’t necessarily stop it, it has definitely helped. I’ve training her so that clicking (with my fingers) is how she gets told off and knows what she’s doing is wrong. She tends to stop when I do this for the most part but if she doesn’t then I just move her away from the area - she’s very smart and gets the idea she’s in trouble quite quickly! I’ve also found that seagrass mats (you can buy on amazon) are a great alternative to dig and chew instead of carpet, as well as cardboard which is also good. It’s unlikely you’ll fully stop your bunny digging carpet as it’s a natural instinct but there are definitely ways to manage and reduce it. Hope it helps!

Just to also mention, try putting seagrass mats/cardboard/ceramic tiles in the hotspots where your bunny frequently digs to block off the area.

Hi! I also have two free roam house bunnies and can vouch that a friend for your bunny is unlikely to stop them from digging/plucking carpet, from my experience anyways. My bunny has always tried to pluck and dig up carpet (which she is told off for) and since getting her husbun, that hasn’t changed haha. In fact he actually tries to dig a little as well but isn’t half as destructive as her. The best ways I’ve found to reduce how often she digs/plucks carpet is just through simple training. Whilst it doesn’t necessarily stop it, it has definitely helped. I’ve training her so that clicking (with my fingers) is how she gets told off and knows what she’s doing is wrong. She tends to stop when I do this for the most part but if she doesn’t then I just move her away from the area - she’s very smart and gets the idea she’s in trouble quite quickly! I’ve also found that seagrass mats (you can buy on amazon) are a great alternative to dig and chew instead of carpet, as well as cardboard which is also good. It’s unlikely you’ll fully stop your bunny digging carpet as it’s a natural instinct but there are definitely ways to manage and reduce it. Hope it helps!

:roll: :lol: I feared that might be the case!

The seagrass mats look a good idea.

Back