• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Lump found on Honey - she’s gone

weedug

Mama Doe
I could really do with some thoughts on Honey. We were at the vets a couple of weeks ago for a check up and the vet found an open lump on Honey’s side. I was to treat it with iodine for a week, and at the last appointment that was changed to a steroid cream. The vet is sure it is cancerous because of how it looks and it bleeds so much when cleaned thoroughly, but no tests have been done or offered. The vet originally said that she thought cutting out the lump out wasn’t in Honey’s best interests, but today mentioned that it might be worth taking the risk otherwise she could see this being why Honey is pts.

Honey has a lot of health problems though, which is making me unsure whether to go ahead with removal. I don’t have anyone to talk it over with so hoped that I could get some input here.

Honey is 10 years old and has EC. The EC is affecting her back legs and she occasionally has weakness in them. Three treatments of panacure haven’t lowered the levels. She has also had a CT done last year which showed a static mandibular abscess involving the lower molars, as well as progression of thoracic nodules. They were originally only in the right side, but small ones are now visible on the left lung. A biopsy would be needed to diagnose them, but since Honey has been relatively well it’s not been offered. She also has thoracic and lumbar spondylosis and right sided rhinitis and loss of nasal turbinates. She takes metacam, Tramadol, gabapentin, and Zantac daily for the pain, and has for some years.

My problem is, do I put her through a fairly long op to remove the lump, and the vet can’t say if there are satellite lumps, or would it be kinder to just keep her comfortable for as long as possible given all her other problems?

Last edited:
I could really do with some thoughts on Honey. We were at the vets a couple of weeks ago for a check up and the vet found an open lump on Honey’s side. I was to treat it with iodine for a week, and at the last appointment that was changed to a steroid cream. The vet is sure it is cancerous because of how it looks and it bleeds so much when cleaned thoroughly, but no tests have been done or offered. The vet originally said that she thought cutting out the lump out wasn’t in Honey’s best interests, but today mentioned that it might be worth taking the risk otherwise she could see this being why Honey is pts.

Honey has a lot of health problems though, which is making me unsure whether to go ahead with removal. I don’t have anyone to talk it over with so hoped that I could get some input here.

Honey is 10 years old and has EC. The EC is affecting her back legs and she occasionally has weakness in them. Three treatments of panacure haven’t lowered the levels. She has also had a CT done last year which showed a static mandibular abscess involving the lower molars, as well as progression of thoracic nodules. They were originally only in the right side, but small ones are now visible on the left lung. A biopsy would be needed to diagnose them, but since Honey has been relatively well it’s not been offered. She also has thoracic and lumbar spondylosis and right sided rhinitis and loss of nasal turbinates. She takes metacam, Tramadol, gabapentin, and Zantac daily for the pain, and has for some years.

My problem is, do I put her through a fairly long op to remove the lump, and the vet can’t say if there are satellite lumps, or would it be kinder to just keep her comfortable for as long as possible given all her other problems?

Sorry for the brevity of my reply, I am poorly atm. I would opt for palliative care for Honey-ie keep her comfortable and not put her through surgery. I am so sorry that you have more sad situations to face about one of your Rabbits

(((((((((((((Hugs)))))))))))))))) x

Thank you so much for replying when you are unwell Jane. I hope things improve for you soon. I really don’t want to give up on Honey, but don’t want her to suffer through an op then her mouth gets too sore to continue.

To be honest, I wish I hadn’t gone to the vet today. She seemed happy in herself before she went, but has been a bit quiet and keeps licking near the wound since she has come home. Hopefully she’ll pick up again soon.

Bless her! 10 is a pretty good age really and she has many problems. I agree with Jane, keep her as comfortable and happy as possible. xx

Bless her! 10 is a pretty good age really and she has many problems. I agree with Jane, keep her as comfortable and happy as possible. xx

Thanks. For some reason I don’t feel 10 is old, but she has had health problems for about the past 9 years so I suppose she has done well to get to this age.

Ah bless her. Doughnut was on all of those meds at the end but I also found cold laser treatment helped with her arthritis. As sometimes she ended up bouncing around again. As for other issues I don't know what to advise. You know her the best if it's too much. Doughnut bounced back so many times with all her health issues but she didn't want to fight any more and went down to 750g. I knew it was the right time.

Last edited:
You are providing amazing care for Honey. I am confused how vet determined lump was cancer. Did she do a needle biopsy?
also does vet suspect a specific type of cancer?
Given her history, I agree with Jane that palliative care is something to consider for Honey.

You are providing amazing care for Honey. I am confused how vet determined lump was cancer. Did she do a needle biopsy?
also does vet suspect a specific type of cancer?
Given her history, I agree with Jane that palliative care is something to consider for Honey.

Thank you. There’s been no biopsy done. The skin is open at the lump, so when the scab is taken off the lump is visible. When it was first found the skin was open and there was an obvious almost purple coloured lump inside. The vet seems to think cancer because of how the lump looks, how it has reacted over the past couple of weeks, and how much blood there is when the scab is removed.

I’m so sorry :cry: I don’t have experience of this but I would always opt for quality of life over quantity, so I hope she is able to be kept well and comfortable for a long time to come. sending lots of vibes and hugs xx

Hi, sorry to hear your rabbit is unwell. And I agree that it is probably best not to operate at 10 years old even though my rabbit lived until she was nearly 13. In the end we did find a lump on her which was supposed to be cancer a few/weeks or months before she died but we didn’t operate as we thought it was too risky given her age and would be unfair to make her go through that. Not to add that even if it was cancer then removing it may not prevent much if it has already spread. I feel like this is such a negative reply but 10 is a good age and providing she is happy and pain-free at this point I think that’s all that matters.

I had three sisters that all developed breast cancer when they were 7 or 8 years old. Two of them, Midnight and TS, had the lumps removed. Both had the lumps return several months later. Midnight developed an open wound in the same area she had the cancer. At the time they did not have the manuka honey so I used vitamin E oil to keep the scab from cracking/bleeding. She did not seem to be bothered by the wound and was bright until her final couple of days. When the third sister developed the same cancer, I did not have the lump removed and if memory serves me well, Snuggles life span following the diagnosis was not significantly different from her littermates.
Please let me know if the honey helps Honey. I heard about Manuka honey before and I was good to learn about the different grades of Manuka honey. Please keep me informed on Honey's progress. She is so lucky to have you for her family.

I can't help with your decision but sending lots of vibes to help you make it. I'd follow you heart. Honey sounds one hell of a little fighter & I hope whatever your decision you have lots more time with her xx

My sweet, brave girl was pts yesterday. She fought so hard through everything. I am utterly devastated.

Back