Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 39

Thread: Lump found on Honey - she’s gone

  1. #1
    Mama Doe weedug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Nr Edinburgh, Scotland
    Posts
    4,923

    Default Lump found on Honey - she’s gone

    I could really do with some thoughts on Honey. We were at the vets a couple of weeks ago for a check up and the vet found an open lump on Honey’s side. I was to treat it with iodine for a week, and at the last appointment that was changed to a steroid cream. The vet is sure it is cancerous because of how it looks and it bleeds so much when cleaned thoroughly, but no tests have been done or offered. The vet originally said that she thought cutting out the lump out wasn’t in Honey’s best interests, but today mentioned that it might be worth taking the risk otherwise she could see this being why Honey is pts.

    Honey has a lot of health problems though, which is making me unsure whether to go ahead with removal. I don’t have anyone to talk it over with so hoped that I could get some input here.

    Honey is 10 years old and has EC. The EC is affecting her back legs and she occasionally has weakness in them. Three treatments of panacure haven’t lowered the levels. She has also had a CT done last year which showed a static mandibular abscess involving the lower molars, as well as progression of thoracic nodules. They were originally only in the right side, but small ones are now visible on the left lung. A biopsy would be needed to diagnose them, but since Honey has been relatively well it’s not been offered. She also has thoracic and lumbar spondylosis and right sided rhinitis and loss of nasal turbinates. She takes metacam, Tramadol, gabapentin, and Zantac daily for the pain, and has for some years.

    My problem is, do I put her through a fairly long op to remove the lump, and the vet can’t say if there are satellite lumps, or would it be kinder to just keep her comfortable for as long as possible given all her other problems?
    Last edited by weedug; 01-03-2020 at 01:11 PM.

  2. #2
    Wise Old Thumper
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    In my Burrow
    Posts
    145,102

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by weedug View Post
    I could really do with some thoughts on Honey. We were at the vets a couple of weeks ago for a check up and the vet found an open lump on Honey’s side. I was to treat it with iodine for a week, and at the last appointment that was changed to a steroid cream. The vet is sure it is cancerous because of how it looks and it bleeds so much when cleaned thoroughly, but no tests have been done or offered. The vet originally said that she thought cutting out the lump out wasn’t in Honey’s best interests, but today mentioned that it might be worth taking the risk otherwise she could see this being why Honey is pts.

    Honey has a lot of health problems though, which is making me unsure whether to go ahead with removal. I don’t have anyone to talk it over with so hoped that I could get some input here.

    Honey is 10 years old and has EC. The EC is affecting her back legs and she occasionally has weakness in them. Three treatments of panacure haven’t lowered the levels. She has also had a CT done last year which showed a static mandibular abscess involving the lower molars, as well as progression of thoracic nodules. They were originally only in the right side, but small ones are now visible on the left lung. A biopsy would be needed to diagnose them, but since Honey has been relatively well it’s not been offered. She also has thoracic and lumbar spondylosis and right sided rhinitis and loss of nasal turbinates. She takes metacam, Tramadol, gabapentin, and Zantac daily for the pain, and has for some years.

    My problem is, do I put her through a fairly long op to remove the lump, and the vet can’t say if there are satellite lumps, or would it be kinder to just keep her comfortable for as long as possible given all her other problems?
    Sorry for the brevity of my reply, I am poorly atm. I would opt for palliative care for Honey-ie keep her comfortable and not put her through surgery. I am so sorry that you have more sad situations to face about one of your Rabbits

    (((((((((((((Hugs)))))))))))))))) x
    I AM NOW POSTING AS 'InspectorMorse' BECAUSE A TECHNICAL PROBLEM HAS LOCKED ME OUT OF MY 'Jack's-Jane' ACCOUNT ON SOME DEVICES !!

  3. #3
    Mama Doe weedug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Nr Edinburgh, Scotland
    Posts
    4,923

    Default

    Thank you so much for replying when you are unwell Jane. I hope things improve for you soon. I really don’t want to give up on Honey, but don’t want her to suffer through an op then her mouth gets too sore to continue.

    To be honest, I wish I hadn’t gone to the vet today. She seemed happy in herself before she went, but has been a bit quiet and keeps licking near the wound since she has come home. Hopefully she’ll pick up again soon.

  4. #4
    Wise Old Thumper
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    IOW
    Posts
    20,126

    Default

    Bless her! 10 is a pretty good age really and she has many problems. I agree with Jane, keep her as comfortable and happy as possible. xx

  5. #5
    Mama Doe weedug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Nr Edinburgh, Scotland
    Posts
    4,923

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tonibun View Post
    Bless her! 10 is a pretty good age really and she has many problems. I agree with Jane, keep her as comfortable and happy as possible. xx
    Thanks. For some reason I don’t feel 10 is old, but she has had health problems for about the past 9 years so I suppose she has done well to get to this age.

  6. #6
    Warren Veteran cpayne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Dartford
    Posts
    6,841

    Default

    Ah bless her. Doughnut was on all of those meds at the end but I also found cold laser treatment helped with her arthritis. As sometimes she ended up bouncing around again. As for other issues I don't know what to advise. You know her the best if it's too much. Doughnut bounced back so many times with all her health issues but she didn't want to fight any more and went down to 750g. I knew it was the right time.
    Last edited by cpayne; 04-02-2020 at 06:20 PM.

  7. #7
    Warren Veteran bunny momma's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2014
    Posts
    9,034

    Default

    You are providing amazing care for Honey. I am confused how vet determined lump was cancer. Did she do a needle biopsy?
    also does vet suspect a specific type of cancer?
    Given her history, I agree with Jane that palliative care is something to consider for Honey.

  8. #8
    Mama Doe weedug's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Nr Edinburgh, Scotland
    Posts
    4,923

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by bunny momma View Post
    You are providing amazing care for Honey. I am confused how vet determined lump was cancer. Did she do a needle biopsy?
    also does vet suspect a specific type of cancer?
    Given her history, I agree with Jane that palliative care is something to consider for Honey.
    Thank you. There’s been no biopsy done. The skin is open at the lump, so when the scab is taken off the lump is visible. When it was first found the skin was open and there was an obvious almost purple coloured lump inside. The vet seems to think cancer because of how the lump looks, how it has reacted over the past couple of weeks, and how much blood there is when the scab is removed.

  9. #9
    Moderator Zoobec's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Posts
    42,685

    Default

    I’m so sorry I don’t have experience of this but I would always opt for quality of life over quantity, so I hope she is able to be kept well and comfortable for a long time to come. sending lots of vibes and hugs xx

  10. #10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by weedug View Post
    I could really do with some thoughts on Honey. We were at the vets a couple of weeks ago for a check up and the vet found an open lump on Honey’s side. I was to treat it with iodine for a week, and at the last appointment that was changed to a steroid cream. The vet is sure it is cancerous because of how it looks and it bleeds so much when cleaned thoroughly, but no tests have been done or offered. The vet originally said that she thought cutting out the lump out wasn’t in Honey’s best interests, but today mentioned that it might be worth taking the risk otherwise she could see this being why Honey is pts.

    Honey has a lot of health problems though, which is making me unsure whether to go ahead with removal. I don’t have anyone to talk it over with so hoped that I could get some input here.

    Honey is 10 years old and has EC. The EC is affecting her back legs and she occasionally has weakness in them. Three treatments of panacure haven’t lowered the levels. She has also had a CT done last year which showed a static mandibular abscess involving the lower molars, as well as progression of thoracic nodules. They were originally only in the right side, but small ones are now visible on the left lung. A biopsy would be needed to diagnose them, but since Honey has been relatively well it’s not been offered. She also has thoracic and lumbar spondylosis and right sided rhinitis and loss of nasal turbinates. She takes metacam, Tramadol, gabapentin, and Zantac daily for the pain, and has for some years.

    My problem is, do I put her through a fairly long op to remove the lump, and the vet can’t say if there are satellite lumps, or would it be kinder to just keep her comfortable for as long as possible given all her other problems?
    Hi, sorry to hear your rabbit is unwell. And I agree that it is probably best not to operate at 10 years old even though my rabbit lived until she was nearly 13. In the end we did find a lump on her which was supposed to be cancer a few/weeks or months before she died but we didn’t operate as we thought it was too risky given her age and would be unfair to make her go through that. Not to add that even if it was cancer then removing it may not prevent much if it has already spread. I feel like this is such a negative reply but 10 is a good age and providing she is happy and pain-free at this point I think that’s all that matters.

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •