Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: 5.5 years old rabbit pregnant?

Thank you so much for your reply. My bunny had 2 minor surgeries before and she used to chew all her stitches after surgery and opens them all, that's why Im really scared of spaying her as the recovery can be sooo stressful.

Unfortunately I thought a doe gets sterile after 4 years and its less likely that my 5.5 years old bunn becomes pregnant. I was not aware that they can have babies at this age.

I am just seeking a way to know if she is 'really' pregnant or not at early stage to plan a surgery for spaying her.

Quote Originally Posted by bunny momma View Post
    Are you sure this is the first time she visited your buck? In my opinion fur pulling on day three seems early, though not impossible.
    And no, she is not too old to get pregnant, though she is prone to have more complications.
    Thanks for your reply. They live in one big room. The buck lives in his cage and my doe is cage free so my doe can see the buck in his cage. But untill 3 days ago they never reached each other to mate.
    She had behaviours like phantom pregnancy during the last two weeks before she jump into the buck's cage.

She used to chew her stitches after surgery and open them all!(she had two minor surgeries before) thats why I'm scared of spaying her(unless i know she is 'really' pregnant).

Is there a way to know if it's a phantom or real pregnancy?
    I thought does can't get pregnant after 4 years and they become sterile!

Quote Originally Posted by Elina_bag View Post
    Thanks for your reply. They live in one big room. The buck lives in his cage and my doe is cage free so my doe can see the buck in his cage. But untill 3 days ago they never reached each other to mate.
    She had behaviours like phantom pregnancy during the last two weeks before she jump into the buck's cage.

She used to chew her stitches after surgery and open them all!(she had two minor surgeries before) thats why I'm scared of spaying her(unless i know she is 'really' pregnant).

Is there a way to know if it's a phantom or real pregnancy?
    I thought does can't get pregnant after 4 years and they become sterile!
    Canít really give much advice about the pregnancy. But like I said, please look into getting your doe spayed! The benefits of spaying far outweigh the risks in this case as ultimately it could be a matter of life or death for her. My female rabbit also chewed her stitches and opened her wound slightly but it was not that serious and she was just give medicine to prevent infection. Rabbit savvy vets are used to does opening wounds and there are lots of options for treatment providing it is caught early (eg using a cone if necessary, giving medication, keeping her confined temporarily). As long as you monitor your doe carefully Iím sure even if she did chew the stitches, measures can be taken to prevent it becoming serious. Think of it like this, the risk and seriousness of her getting cancer from not being spayed is much higher than the risks caused by her potentially chewing stitches.

Are you in the UK? Rabbit spays generally use internal stitches and 'glue' these days so there shouldn't be anything on the outside for her to chew and open Worth asking your vet though, can also help determine if the vets is rabbit savvy. Although does can get pregnant past 5, I imagine it's quite a strain on her body. I would consider an emergency spay if I had confidence in my vets and they agreed. Otherwise I'd make sure she is getting extra food to support her body in case of pregnancy.

IF YOU NEED HELP WITH ANYTHING PLEASE SEND ME A PM OR ANY OF THE OTHER FORUM BUDDIES

Wise Old Thumper

Just to add to all the excellent advice you’ve had, if she hasn’t had a litter before, she will be unlikely to be able to give birth successfully, due to her hips, which will mean she will likely need an emergency spay at that point or could lose her life. If she was only in with the buck fir a short time, this risk in increased as rabbits are induced ovulators, and she will likely only have ovulated a minimal amount. She may only have one in each horn or one overall.

I would suggest a rabbit savvy vet ASAP- as spays in pregnant does can only be done at particular points of the pregnancy or it’s too risky.

What country are you in?
    PLEASE DONíT QUOTE MY POSTS IN ANY THREADS I START. Thank you

Please Remember to Advocate for your Rabbit.

'I have the responsibility to do what I want in a world of others, but so does everyone else and it works best if we take each other into account.' (EVD)

Quote Originally Posted by mismatchbunnies View Post
    Canít really give much advice about the pregnancy. But like I said, please look into getting your doe spayed! The benefits of spaying far outweigh the risks in this case as ultimately it could be a matter of life or death for her. My female rabbit also chewed her stitches and opened her wound slightly but it was not that serious and she was just give medicine to prevent infection. Rabbit savvy vets are used to does opening wounds and there are lots of options for treatment providing it is caught early (eg using a cone if necessary, giving medication, keeping her confined temporarily). As long as you monitor your doe carefully Iím sure even if she did chew the stitches, measures can be taken to prevent it becoming serious. Think of it like this, the risk and seriousness of her getting cancer from not being spayed is much higher than the risks caused by her potentially chewing stitches.
    Thanks for the reply. I've set an appointment with her vet for the surgery on wednesday but as I said before I am in stress since the recovery can be very stressful for her and me(according to my experiences with her 2 surgeries before). Thanks again for your reply and concern.

Quote Originally Posted by Elina_bag View Post
    Thanks for the reply. I've set an appointment with her vet for the surgery on wednesday but as I said before I am in stress since the recovery can be very stressful for her and me(according to my experiences with her 2 surgeries before). Thanks again for your reply and concern.
    Thatís great news. I think youíve made the right decision. I completely understand that youíre concerned but Iím hopefully she will recover quickly providing she is closely monitored. But like I said, the benefits far outweigh the risks in this case. Hope it goes well!

Quote Originally Posted by Liz47 View Post
    Are you in the UK? Rabbit spays generally use internal stitches and 'glue' these days so there shouldn't be anything on the outside for her to chew and open Worth asking your vet though, can also help determine if the vets is rabbit savvy. Although does can get pregnant past 5, I imagine it's quite a strain on her body. I would consider an emergency spay if I had confidence in my vets and they agreed. Otherwise I'd make sure she is getting extra food to support her body in case of pregnancy.
    Thanks for your reply. No I'm not in the UK but I am going to call my vet now and ask about internal stitches and glue. It might be very helpful in my case. Very good suggestion thank you!

Wise Old Thumper

It sounds like you’ve made a great choice to get her booked in. It will be really important for her to have a weeks worth of pain relief (Metacam), after. When they chew the stitches, it’s typically because they hurt, so having pain relief will reduce the risk of that. There’s some useful things around on this site about recovery from spats and surgeries, so you might find it helpful to do some forum searches and find some info. I hope it all goes well.
    PLEASE DONíT QUOTE MY POSTS IN ANY THREADS I START. Thank you

Please Remember to Advocate for your Rabbit.

'I have the responsibility to do what I want in a world of others, but so does everyone else and it works best if we take each other into account.' (EVD)

Wise Old Thumper

Good luck with your vet appointment. It really is advisable to have all your rabbits neutered.