Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 5.5 years old rabbit pregnant?

Default 5.5 years old rabbit pregnant?

Hello every body; I have a 5.5 years unspayed female rabbit. About 3 days ago she jumped into the cage of my other bunny which is a two years old boy! Yesterday I noticed that she pulled out lots of her fur and now she is continuously digging in the corner of her cage. I'm just so worried about her being pregnant as she is too old for it. I'm completely confused and don't know what all these signs mean. Is there a way to say if it's a real or phantom pregnancy now?

Wise Old Thumper

An unspeyed female with an uncastrated male for just seconds will almost certainly equal babies.
    I hope someone will come along and offer you some help.

Are you sure this is the first time she visited your buck? In my opinion fur pulling on day three seems early, though not impossible.
    And no, she is not too old to get pregnant, though she is prone to have more complications.

Default 5.5 years old rabbit pregnant?

Hello every body; I have a 5.5 years unspayed female rabbit. About 3 days ago she jumped into the cage of my other bunny which is a two years old boy! Yesterday I noticed that she pulled out lots of her fur and now she is continuously digging in the corner of her cage. I'm just so worried about her being pregnant as she is too old for it. I'm completely confused and don't know what all these signs mean. Is there a way to say if it's a real or phantom pregnancy now?

Wise Old Thumper

Hi, as Babsie said, there will be a high possibility that your rabbit is pregnant. There is at this stage though no way of determining whether she is or isn't. The digging and pulling fur out will probably be a response to being mated and will not be an indication of whether the mating will result in a successful pregnancy.

Is there a reason why she is unspayed? I would have a discussion with your vet regarding the situation, as there are several considerations here. Whilst breeders would usually stop breeding from Does well before the age of 5 years, that doesn't mean to say, if she is healthy, that she is too old to produce a litter, although personally I would not want that risk for my rabbit. I don't know whether you are aware, but unspayed Does are at a high risk of developing uterine cancer and so I think I would be discussing with my vet whether they would be prepared to perform an emergency spay asap.

There are clearly lots of issues for you to consider and so maybe a discussion with a trusted vet would be the best way forward.

Quote Originally Posted by Elina_bag View Post
    Hi, not too sure how to know if it is a phantom pregnancy or real one other than taking her to the vets to get checked. But I would ask if there’s a reason you haven’t got either of your females spayed? By the age of 5, unspayed female rabbits have an 80% chance of developing uterine cancer which is fatal. If this is due to financial reasons then I would strongly recommend reaching out to your local animal rescue or vet to see if they could contribute financially towards the spay to prevent something like this happening again as well as the obvious risk. But of course you’d have to see if the suspected female is pregnant or not if you choose to look into the spay further and ensure she is not if you decide to go ahead.

Hi I think it would be too early to pull fur even if she was pregnant. She probably is if she has been with the male. Mine is a but younger at almost 4 but she gave birth to 2 babies no problems. If she were too old to cope with pregnancy she might not have got pregnant and if she did nature probably thinks she can handle it.

I’ve merged the 2 threads you have started into the one in health, I would recommend you contact a rabbit savvy vet ASAP.

Binky free at the bridge Boots, you will never be forgotten xxxx

Tha
    Last edited by Elina_bag; 03-02-2020 at 07:15 PM.

Thanks for your reply. I've contacted my vet before but as my rabbit used to chew her stitches after surgery and opens them all! (she had 2 minor surgeries before) i'm scared of spaying her since it's an extensive surgery(unless i know she is 'really' pregnant).

Is there any way to know if she is pregnant or not at early stage before the pregnacy progresses?
    Unfortunatly I thought female bunnies get sterile and can't have baby after 4 years!