• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Broken bond

Tamwill

Young Bun
I’ve got 5 successfully bonded rabbits, 2 male and 3 female. They run together during the day and at night the males are in one cage and the females in another. Males are neutered and females are going for spaying on Wednesday. Two of the females had a bit of a fall out over the weekend and since then they’ve got so rough with each other I’ve had to fence the play area down the middle and at night one of the females has to go in a cage alone to avoid injury.
My question is, if they are all spayed the same day as planned will the trauma of travel and operation re-bond them or am I going to have to keep them apart during recovery too?

Hi! Regarding your female’s falling out, this is somewhat expected in unspayed females due to hormones causing territorial behaviour and often leading to aggression. A lot of people say that rabbits are never fully bonded until they are spayed/neutered for this reason as fights can occur due to changes in hormone levels and other factors of dominance etc. I’d also question why the males and females are being separated at night if they are fully bonded? Constantly separating ‘bonded’ groups of rabbits can be stressful and weaken the bonds, although I’d question again if the group are fully bonded as they aren’t fixed yet. For this reason, once the female’s have been spayed I’d definitely re-introduce then into the groups slowly once they are recovered as fighting may occur due to being separated for a period of time. I’d always recommend keeping bunnies separate whilst they recover from the operation as it is a fairly invasive operation and they most likely won’t feel great for the first few days so putting them with other rabbits which they aren’t fully bonded to/previously fought with may cause more harm than good in terms of stress and potential fights leading to injury. However, it might be a good idea to keep the bunnies within the same room as one another so that they can see each other if you think this will help, but ensure that this isn’t causing extra stress. So in short, yes, if I had to guess I would say you probably will have to re-bond them even if it doesn’t take too long depending on if the dominance hierarchy has changed or remained the same. Although, in some cases a full re-bonding process may not be necessary. All rabbits are different so it’s hard to predict but all I’d say is make sure you monitor them closely when re-introducing post-spay.

I’d also question why the males and females are being separated at night if they are fully bonded?
I don’t feel my cages are big enough to house them all together - my cages state they accommodate 4 medium bunnies (mine are mini lops) but to be fair I wouldn’t house more than three in one and mine are only confined at night!

I don’t feel my cages are big enough to house them all together - my cages state they accommodate 4 medium bunnies (mine are mini lops) but to be fair I wouldn’t house more than three in one and mine are only confined at night!

Okay I understand. Thank you for clarifying.

Back