• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Kidney issues advice please

madcatwoman

Mama Doe
Stan stopped eating mid week last week. Been at the vets a couple of times. Thought dental so had had one this morning.

Vet wasn't convinced then about teeth so ran bloods.
They've come back with kidney something being really high.
Because it's come on quick we've decided to treat him with fluids and antibiotics. She's also going to work him just in case.
Stomach isn't showing any gas. Teeth weren't bad.
Going to give him a chance as he's only 6.
Any advice appreciated

No advice just sending vibes for your boy.A few on here have buns with kidney issues,I'm sure they can maybe advise you.x

Thanks. I just don't know if I'm doing the right thing for him.
My hope is he gets over this and is fine and lives a long happy life.
My fear is he will suffer and I don't want that for our last ever rabbit

Sending lots of vibes for him: I don’t have any experience of this in rabbits so I can’t advise xx

Sending lots of vibes. I have no experience of kidney issues, but several people on the forum have. I'm sure that joey&boo will be along soon to contribute to this thread, but until she does have a look at her recent thread about her rabbit, Rudey and how she is managing his kidney issues.

There are many conditions that can affect kidney function and you'd need to be a bit more specific as to what was 'a bit high' in the blood test. Creatinine ? Urea ? etc...... I am assuming you mean the Vet is going to 'worm' him and that 'work' was a typo ? I am also assuming that the worming would be a 28 day course of Fenbendazole (Panacur) to cover the possibility of EC. EC can effect the kidneys and does not always present with neurological problems such as head tilt.

There is some information about both Acute and Chronic Renal failure on these links

https://wagwalking.com/rabbit/condition/kidney-failure-

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00dis/Miscellaneous/Acute_RenalLagomorph.htm

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00dis/Miscellaneous/ChronicRenalLagomorph.htm

Thank you Jane.
It's urea that's high.
Just rung for an update. He's on supportive care?? And responding ok. I presume that's the fluids and antibiotics.
I have an appointment tonight to discuss and to bring him home overnight as they don't do overnights. I then take him back in the morning.
Yes I meant worming, sorry x
Thank you for the info I will look now

I'm so sorry to hear about Stan :( I have a bunny who was diagnosed with Chronic Renal Failure, prob EC related, back in Autumn. I don't know much about acute. Rudey had high urea & creatinine on his bloods & his bones showed some calcification on xray. His "treatment plan" is really simple. He's doing ok on it but its loads of hands on care. Him having bloods was done as he was drinking loads & had clear wee. Around this time his previous vet gave him septrin & he didn't tolerate that well. He's got poor bladder control. He lost weight & muscle, has little appetite & won't eat hay. He presents a lot better now than he did when he was diagnosed.

Feel free to ask me anything . Lots of vibes for Stan xx

Thanks for your reply.
Stan was fine last weekend and has gone down during the week, eating less, then more or less stopping eating. Then he stopped spending time with our cats and was quiet.
Im not sure if he has increased his drinking as he shares a bowl with the cats.
I do think though that his wee has smelt stronger this last week. Didnt think about it till all this. He has wee'd on me a few times this weekend when Ive been getting him for syringing.
The wee was really dark, like a strong cup of tea and smelt strong.

Our vet initially thought dental but said today she just had a 6th sense that it could be kidney. So ran bloods after his dental.

She says if we give him time if its acute and if weve been quick enough it could be reversed. But shes guarded in her view of his future.

Im going to get him tonight then he goes back tomorrow first thing. Hardest bit will be stopping one of our cats from washing him, aww

We all need crystal balls to know outcome. Absent that I would opt for giving him a chance and monitoring him closely.

There are many conditions that can affect kidney function and you'd need to be a bit more specific as to what was 'a bit high' in the blood test. Creatinine ? Urea ? etc...... I am assuming you mean the Vet is going to 'worm' him and that 'work' was a typo ? I am also assuming that the worming would be a 28 day course of Fenbendazole (Panacur) to cover the possibility of EC. EC can effect the kidneys and does not always present with neurological problems such as head tilt.

There is some information about both Acute and Chronic Renal failure on these links

https://wagwalking.com/rabbit/condition/kidney-failure-

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00dis/Miscellaneous/Acute_RenalLagomorph.htm

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00dis/Miscellaneous/ChronicRenalLagomorph.htm

so hes home.
His creatinine is so high its not giving a reading. His urea is high. She said one could be due to dehydration. Hes had a small dental and some spurs removed. Then he had bloods, then an abdominal xray. The xray showed that theres no build up of gas so no GI Statis. His kidneys dont show any stones etc. He has food showing right through his abdomen. Theyve done a urine test.

He has had fluids in a drip then baytril and pain relief. He has poo'ed really hard little dark poo's but hes poo'ed.

He hasnt wee'd yet though. Hes wee'd when picked up which is what he did with me over the weekend. So this is a concern that hes not doing it by himself.
Hes eating like crazy tonight though, hay grass and dandilion leaves.

Hes going back in the morning and going back on the drip. We are hoping for a wee on his own.

After tomorrow if he continues to improve we are going to start the panucur as she says also says about it being possibly neurological and possibly EC.

Hes perky tonight but not moving round hes concentrating on eating lol. I still need to give him some critical care just to help things

Ive really got everything crossed and my goodness Im glad we are insured. The only thing is our vet is small so you pay the vet then claim back from your insurance and my bill is currently £350 which has cleared me out totally and ive tomorrow to go. Hubby isnt quite that impressed.

Hes wee'd by himself.

Oh the relief. It was in the hay so I cant tell colour etc but my hand was wet. Hes had 2 lots of syringe and is now sat eating again.

Bless him, hes a helicopter ear bunny and the canula is in his Uppy ear so tonight hes a lop.

I know there is no guarantee but I have everything crossed for R'Stan

Wee and poo overnight. He is practically inhaling dandilion leaves. He has no concept of how difficult they are to find in February!

Took him back for day 2 of fluids but because of how well hes done overnight they decided to just give him a quick boost of fluids. His canular had blocked so he had them sub cut.

Hes on baytril 2ml once a day till friday unless I am worried in between.

Just need to sort out him eating more variety etc.

We wonder if he was being a wuss with his teeth and also because he went from Friday to monday waiting for the dental if it was just too much on him and his kidneys played up.

So hes back home. Hes happy because I took all his tunnels away yesterday so I could monitor him and today he is back in his big tunnel that he stole from the cats.

Thank you everyone for the vibes and the advice, its appreciated x

Back