• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Grass question

My bunny is a rescue and estimated around 6 or 7 years old. I don’t think he was ever given hay in his life. I’ve had him just over 3 weeks and notice he doesn’t eat any of his hay. Doesn’t even look at it!
Can I feed him grass from my lawn, not mown, just thought I would try and rip some off for him by hand. He’s an inside bunny. I was told grass can give them diarrhoea, then others say it’s as good as hay?

I would say yes. It is their natural source of food and will provide an element of fibre and help to keep their teeth in check.
It's obviously not as hard or coarse as hay but definately try to get your bunny on grass. Absolutely right not to give any mown hay
Just grab or tear some nice juicy green grass, from a clean area if you can, and introduce it to your bunnys food area.
Hope this helps and let us know how bunny gets on with this.
Craig

You will need to introduce any new food slowly, especially something like grass or vegetables, to avoid upsetting his stomach. It might be that he has a problem with his teeth because he hasn’t been eating hay and now he can’t eat hay. So I would get them checked out ASAP. It might be that he will eat different types of hay if you can get it. My rabbits don’t like meadow hay but they like Timothy hay, oat hay, and orchard grass. Some places will send samples so you can try them out with bunny, so that is well worth a try.

One of the most common reasons for a rabbit to not be interested in hay is that he has been overfed on other things. He should be getting a good tbsp of pellets a day and then fill up on hay. This can take a while before he starts to tuck into hay. I would try him on some grass and if he won't eat that then you need to have his teeth checked out.

I agree with the advice already given, but also maybe try a variety of different hays to see what he likes. Small Pets Select offer a great selection including 3 different types of Timothy hay, Orchard Grass and other alternatives I’m pretty sure. You can buy a sampler box of different hats online to try them out. Also possibly try sprinkling some dried herbs which you can also buy online (Rosewood Naturals is a good brand I’ve found) in order to entice the rabbit to eat more hay. Hope it helps!

Back