• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Could we please have........U/D 14th Feb observations

Collecting Leo on Tuesday 4th at 1pm so will post some updated photos with Leo once we are back here. Have prepared the outside hutch for Leo as he is presently outside in a mahoosive Wendy House and has been used to being outside. If it turns cold, we will bring the hutch into the kitchen/diner until Lillian and Leo are (hopefully) bonded.
The plan is to let Leo settle for the first afternoon, tune into his new surroundings as this will be unsettling for him and an upheaval to what his routine has been. I'm trying to ensure that I understand how Leo must be feeling, having been used to one life for 4/5 years, then a sudden change for the last couple of weeks, and now a further change not just in routine, but in smells, surroundings, sights, noises and of course, new people and Lillian. I'm sure, just like us, he will be anxious and worried and just needs to find his own comfort level of the hutch - where he feels safe, where he feels warm, where he needs to go to the loo. I'd like Leo to have a brief look round the garden, but he may just feel as though it's a bit much for him and he may just prefer to stay in the sanctuary of his hutch.
I've given the hutch a deep clean and put loads and loads of fresh soft straw and hay all over with a magazorb base. His bed compartment has a nice thick protective box on the side against the outer wall, and an inner box to make him feel snug with loads more straw in. Lillian has already had an assessment of Leo's home and no doubt left him a little 'gift or two'. We think Lillian has a sense of something going on - she is quite a clever bunny. But she seems to almost sense something so I'll be curious to see how she reacts as she meets Leo whilst he is inside the hutch and she observes from the outside.
I do not feel it is right to put them together straight away - as I said, I think Leo needs some time just to adapt and tune in and begin to feel as though he is safe here.
We've got plenty of fresh food ready - herbs, greens, dried forage and some pellets.
But I should hopefully be able to get some better clearer photos of Leo and I'll update you all from there.
Thank you for all your lovely kind coments on Leo. As you can appreciate, this is a massive step for us at the present time, but we feel it is very important for Lillians wellbeing, not ours. And it's Lillian who is important here, as well as giving a second home to Leo who hopefully will feel this is a place he can relax and be happy in.
Craig x

If you let him free in the garden he won't know he is supposed to go back in the hutch so it is best he gets to know where his house is first, as you don't want to have to chase him round the garden in order to get him in.

If you let him free in the garden he won't know he is supposed to go back in the hutch so it is best he gets to know where his house is first, as you don't want to have to chase him round the garden in order to get him in.

Yup - absolutely spot on TB. It is something I'm conscious of and one of the reasons I feel it's best to let Leo just adjust for the first day. I'm sure I'll have some chasing to do round the garden but I'd like Leo to not feel afraid or nervous. So that's a good point TB.

What a lovely bun he looks. Wishing him and his new family every happiness together. I'm not on RU as much these days, but you have been in my thoughts.

When I adopted Bertie after losing my dear Spenser, a friend commented that one of the best ways you could remember a pet was by giving a home to a rescue animal. x

Good luck today Craig! Hope all goes well and looking forward to some more pictures over the coming weeks :D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Very brief update for everybun- no photos just yet. Later.
Collected Leo an hour ago. Let Lillian see Leo in the carrier only for a minute or two. She wasn’t phased. Then it got really interesting and I’ve never witnessed behaviour like it.....
We introduced Leo to the outdoor hutch and he went straight in, no hesitation. So I think he feels safe about that. Closed the door and made sure he was safe. Left the carrier over the other side of garden.
Lillian came out- really buzzing. She went straight to the carrier and she is all over it. She’s inside it and clearly and deliberately smelling every part of it, checking every inch. You couldn’t get her in the carrier- she associates it with vet. But her nose is going all over it.
So I move the carrier to nearer the hutch and over she comes. Following the new smells. It was like taking a bone away from a dog.
A few moments later, Leo comes to the front of the hutch. Lillian stopped, saw him and went straight over, pushing her nose close to the bars as possible. She put a paw thro the bar and I’m sure there was a Lillian lick thro the bars towards Leo. Nose to nose they just stood there, separated by the cage door, but my initial feeling was that neither was aggressive and both presented as inquisitive and gentle.
Lillian’s spent the next 10 minutes running round the hutch wondering if there’s another way in.
Leo is trying to suss out the accommodation and just get adjusted. Tuning in. He’s nomming on some fresh herbs and celery but seems quite settled. But obviously deep down he must be quite confused and probably worried.
But he’s eating so he feels there’s food for him. He’s secure and safe and warm and he knows there is visual and sensual indication of another rabbit so he can perhaps feel not totally alone.
Will update tonight with some photos.

Oh gosh, this sounds so positive Craig, early days I know. Glad to hear that Leo is settling in his new pad. Hope you are feeling better yourself now ? X

Very brief update for everybun- no photos just yet. Later.
Collected Leo an hour ago. Let Lillian see Leo in the carrier only for a minute or two. She wasn’t phased. Then it got really interesting and I’ve never witnessed behaviour like it.....
We introduced Leo to the outdoor hutch and he went straight in, no hesitation. So I think he feels safe about that. Closed the door and made sure he was safe. Left the carrier over the other side of garden.
Lillian came out- really buzzing. She went straight to the carrier and she is all over it. She’s inside it and clearly and deliberately smelling every part of it, checking every inch. You couldn’t get her in the carrier- she associates it with vet. But her nose is going all over it.
So I move the carrier to nearer the hutch and over she comes. Following the new smells. It was like taking a bone away from a dog.
A few moments later, Leo comes to the front of the hutch. Lillian stopped, saw him and went straight over, pushing her nose close to the bars as possible. She put a paw thro the bar and I’m sure there was a Lillian lick thro the bars towards Leo. Nose to nose they just stood there, separated by the cage door, but my initial feeling was that neither was aggressive and both presented as inquisitive and gentle.
Lillian’s spent the next 10 minutes running round the hutch wondering if there’s another way in.
Leo is trying to suss out the accommodation and just get adjusted. Tuning in. He’s nomming on some fresh herbs and celery but seems quite settled. But obviously deep down he must be quite confused and probably worried.
But he’s eating so he feels there’s food for him. He’s secure and safe and warm and he knows there is visual and sensual indication of another rabbit so he can perhaps feel not totally alone.
Will update tonight with some photos.

What a lovely up-date. :love::love:

Well, here's the thing. Does anyone have any bromine?
Here's the 3 video uploads for you all to have a look at.

It's not the greatest video and I know there's some things need addressing. I know the hutch needs a lick of paint or wood proofing. That's a job for when the weather improves. I know Lillian has some 'love handles' by her front paws. I think this is a result of her weight issues last year. If anyone has any ideas as to what these are, I'd welcome your input. That's also celery sticking out of the bars, and I know about the polystyrene . My wife is the gardener and that's why there's some gardening clutter. I'm standing next to the fish pond and yes it has a big mesh cover on it just in case anyone might hop up and explore.
Now, as for the bromine? If you look closely you will notice a small brown stuffed bunny in the hutch with Leo. This brown snuggle toy has been with Lillian and before her, with our bridge buns Georgina and Ben. Lillian has always felt comfort with that, even more so so and after we lost Henry. It has Lillians smell on it and I thought I would put it in with Leo to help him get used to the scent and also to make him feel not quite so lonely. With all he's just gone through, I figured he might like something to snuggle up during the night, as Lillian has us here in the living room.
What I wasn't quite prepared for was that despite having his conkers removed 3 weeks ago, he is......well, amourous. In fact, I think a better phrase would be rampant.
I've no idea what sort of condition I'm gonna find the snuggle bun in the morning but Leo is certainly pre-occupied. So any introduction with Lillian is going to have to be on hold for a while because Lillian isn't that kind of lady. It'll take a few more weeks for Leo's hormones to settle down and I'm not sure with him being that 'keen', that it'll do well for a bond.
Leo seems to be settling in well. He's tucked into some food, and seems to feel safe in the hutch. He loves human attention and happily lies down for a good long stroke and actually relaxes with it. There's no indication of any agression or aggressive behaviour whatsoever from Leo - no lunging at us and from what I observed, no biting or lunging through the hutch at Lillian.
He is weighed at 3kg - which I'm not completely sure he is, but that's the official weight. He spent all of his life with one owner on a farm - no idea in what sort of accommodation but he came from a breeder from birth. At the Blue Cross, they removed his plums, and gave him flea treatment (they identified small bite on rump), and did some spur work (minor). His mobility appears to be very good, although he's not been with any other rabbit. But his temprement is recorded as gentle and he is a lionhead/harlequin cross which should, on paper, be a very placid breed. He has been well looked after and his foster carer was very reluctant to give him up as she thought he was very sweet. He also seems to have helicopter ears - which I did not know at first.
But they feel he would benefit from a bond - a female to share his life with. And I'm sure that will get a thumbs up from everyone here.
Leo was happy to sit in the darker area of the hutch - that's just going to be a security blanket for him where he can hear and smell but is out of sight from anything he doesn't like. He has to adjust to the new sounds and surroundings.
Leo is all tucked up in bed now - loads of straw, plenty of fresh hay, some greens, herbs and a few pellets. The bed compartment is packed and I've lined it between boxes with an old jumper which Leo cann't get to, and there's some thermal material under the taupalin that is covering the hutch so he should be quite snug. The hutch is facing east at the moment so that any morning sun hits the hutch first and warms it until the afternoon. As spring turns towards summer, we'll move it to the opposite side (west facing) so that the hutch gets more shade and therefore cooler.
I will let Leo have a venture round the garden area under supervision tomorrow whilst Lillian views from the kitchen/diner.
And in case anyone was wondering, I am off all week with a continued chest infection. I am on continued medication, still coughing like mad, and have zero energy. So I also can't really do much. Luckily my wife is off tuesday and wednesday so we can supervise and interact with Lillian and Henry and just take things at a slow pace. Hopefully this will be the best way forward.
So, stay tuned tomorrow for video of Leo exploring the garden and see how that goes.
Craig x

The third video says it's set to private, so I can only see the first two. The advice with bucks post neuter is to leave them for at least 6 weeks to let their hormones calm down. Gives him a good chance to settle in before bonding.

It's exciting and yet a bit scary with new rabbits, isn't it :) I hope all goes well with him.

He looks beautiful! I love how happy and curious Lillian looks. Feeling really hopeful for you, and hoping you feel better soon x

I, too, can only see the first two - however if the 3rd is Rampant Leo perhaps that is why the setting is so.

Lillian looks really interested which is super.

My bad- I got the settings wrong on 3rd one. I’ll sort that in the morning when I do some new footage.
Sorry.

Back