• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Could we please have........U/D 14th Feb observations

Thank you for all your lovely comments. I am honoured that you have all taken the time to follow the early beginnings of Leo and his new adventures.
A very brief update for you on this thread about Leo. We got all his notes and stuff in a pack from the Blue Cross. Very thorough.
But something puzzled me very much about Leo which I thought from day one when I observed him. I felt that Leo didn't seem to have good muscle mass. When you stroked him or felt him, he appeared lean despite the paperwork saying he was 3kg and slightly overweight. I just didn't quite get that. So I was puzzled. Leo was very clearly well looked after in foster care and he's been well cared for in his previous care. But something just didn't sit right. And it really bugged me.
I've spent the last 4 days with Leo and each day I have seen a change. A difference. His coat has become much sleeker, looks healthier. After 4 days? Is this possible?
I've groomed him every day. But it is his movement that I've noticed. He is much more flowing, running. I think he's actually quicker.
And then we got news back from the blue cross that having reviewed his notes, it would seem that Leo was previously kept in a hutch - possibly not much access outside, and was then handed over to Blue Cross following a house move which 'unsettled him'.
So my theory about lack of muscle mass proved correct. Poor little Leo. he is such a loving, selfless trusting rabbit that adores being near humans without any hesitation. He follows me all over the garden. Watching him, you can see his soul open up to the freedom of the garden and it's no wonder he's excited. I know he's in a hutch here for safety - but he's not going to be cooped up in the hutch. He'll have garden time every day - only exception will be weather right now, but also once (hopefully) we get a bond with Lillian, he can then make the transition indoors if he wishes.
I'm quite surprised that I could identify the muscle mass issue - I'm not medically trained. It was just so obvious. But I've seen a big change in Leo in only a few days and it's all positive as far as I can tell. He loves grass - loves eating it and he's doing a bit of digging. He's not a hay eater - some rabbits aren't. But I hope he feels that this is his second chance and feels happy here.
Will keep posting vids and photos as much as I can and thank you for following this journey.
Craig x

There you go Craig, you know more than you thought you did. You obviously understand bunnies very well, lucky Leo. He must think he's it's all his birthdays rolled into one. You can see how happy he is, and that's lovely to see, hopefully soon he'll be running around the garden with lovely Lillian x

Good for you, noticing the difference in his 'condition'. I had disabled bunnies and instead of seeing the improvement in muscle mass that you saw with Leo, I saw the bunny lose muscle mass. It can happen quite quickly. Leo is lucky to have you to give him the wonderful life he deserves.

Thank you for all your lovely comments. I am honoured that you have all taken the time to follow the early beginnings of Leo and his new adventures.
A very brief update for you on this thread about Leo. We got all his notes and stuff in a pack from the Blue Cross. Very thorough.
But something puzzled me very much about Leo which I thought from day one when I observed him. I felt that Leo didn't seem to have good muscle mass. When you stroked him or felt him, he appeared lean despite the paperwork saying he was 3kg and slightly overweight. I just didn't quite get that. So I was puzzled. Leo was very clearly well looked after in foster care and he's been well cared for in his previous care. But something just didn't sit right. And it really bugged me.
I've spent the last 4 days with Leo and each day I have seen a change. A difference. His coat has become much sleeker, looks healthier. After 4 days? Is this possible?
I've groomed him every day. But it is his movement that I've noticed. He is much more flowing, running. I think he's actually quicker.
And then we got news back from the blue cross that having reviewed his notes, it would seem that Leo was previously kept in a hutch - possibly not much access outside, and was then handed over to Blue Cross following a house move which 'unsettled him'.
So my theory about lack of muscle mass proved correct. Poor little Leo. he is such a loving, selfless trusting rabbit that adores being near humans without any hesitation. He follows me all over the garden. Watching him, you can see his soul open up to the freedom of the garden and it's no wonder he's excited. I know he's in a hutch here for safety - but he's not going to be cooped up in the hutch. He'll have garden time every day - only exception will be weather right now, but also once (hopefully) we get a bond with Lillian, he can then make the transition indoors if he wishes.
I'm quite surprised that I could identify the muscle mass issue - I'm not medically trained. It was just so obvious. But I've seen a big change in Leo in only a few days and it's all positive as far as I can tell. He loves grass - loves eating it and he's doing a bit of digging. He's not a hay eater - some rabbits aren't. But I hope he feels that this is his second chance and feels happy here.
Will keep posting vids and photos as much as I can and thank you for following this journey.
Craig x
My white buns had something similar when I got them, they didn't have the muscles to stand up on their back legs, they'd attempt to and fall over, I couldn't work it out [emoji38] it was really sad to watch, took weeks, but then they built up the muscles and were fine, I assume they couldn't stand up where they lived before. They should've been able to in pets at home adoption centre.. But maybe no reason to? They started trying when they were out on the lawn, so similar thing.

Leo is so lucky to have you, you underestimate yourself! Also those skills with the ball, he'll be in tip top shape in no time [emoji7]

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Sorry I haven't been updating Leo's thread for the last week. After the splurge of videos I figured you'd all probably be grateful for a little break.
In all honesty, it's been a pretty lousey week weather wise here and I'm back at work so haven't been able to spend the full days with Leo. Firstly yes I am now over my chest infection and feel pretty good now. In a way, it was probably fortunate I was off when we got Leo as it gave him time to adjust and have some garden time.
So, where are we with everything now? Well, Leo gets garden time every morning and every night when I get home from work. Plus he gets plenty of time out on a tuesday when my wife is off and also extra time on a wednesday when my wife is also off but goes out.
Leo I think, has changed over the last week. Every day I have seen small changes but ones I believe are positive. Every morning when I open up the hutch, he belts down the ramp and face nudges the hutch door open. Leo loves to explore the garden and enjoys eating the grass. His movement to me appears much more fluid and today - well, today he absolutely flew up the length of the garden. That bun has speed and he just flowed. He's also developed what I label as a 'happy hop'. It's something Henry had and was quite a beautiful thing. Henry had this thing about grass - he just didn't like to run on it so he did this huge exaggerated jump/spring/leap. Well, Leo has now shown he can do this.
The most noticable difference is the interaction between Lillian and Leo. Up until Tuesday, there was a sort of 'stand off' situation with Lillian guarding the kitchen/diner and Leo wondering what to make of Lillian. They weren't exactly friendly between the dividing barrier but I felt it was important to allow both bunnies to be aware of the others presence.
On Tuesday however, my wife informs me that things changed somewhat dramatically. My wife observed Leo sitting right outside the kitchen/diner doorway inches away from the dividing wire frame. Lillian sitting the other side with my wife stroking Lillian which seemed to calm Lillian down. Leo sat there for over an hour, never moving. he chose to sit there and could have moved but he didn't. The aggresion seemed to subside and Lillian now put her head down in front of Leo - which I suspect was Lillians way of saying "groom me" - which of course Leo couldn't becaue of the wire frame seperation.
This behaviour has carried on since Tuesday with a much more relaxed atmosphere between Leo and Lillian. Leo sees Lillian through the glass and follows her as she does him. Lillian looks for Leo but not in what I would deem an aggressive way. Leo on his part, actively looks for Lillian and choses to spend time as close to her and the kitchen/diner area.
That said, I am still not comfortable putting both together this weekend. It's a slow and cautious approach. It could all unravel just as quick so I wish to make sure that both bunnies are comfortable and happy with the other. This is new ground for Leo in many ways and whilst some instinct might kick in, he is still adjusting to many changes in his life, and Lillian is also having to adjust to new changes.
Unfortunately the weather here this weekend is forecast to be absolute pants but we should have some garden time until mid afternoon. If I get chance, I'll do some more video. And I'll keep updating so you can follow Leo's adventure which hopefully will culminate with a bond with Lillian.
Craig x

I am pleased things are going well and I am fairly sure Leo and Lillian will become firm friends in a while. Also pleased you are feeling better.

I’m glad everything is going well and you are feeling better. Fingers crossed for the bonding :love:

Lovely update Craig, and so pleased that you are feeling better. Looking forward to next instalment :thumb:

Thanks for the update Craig and I hope that things will continue to look quite positive for bonding Lillian and Leo xx

JUst caught up with this thread Craig. Leo is gorgeous! Congratulations on your new boy! It sounds like you are working wonders with him and that he has really landed on his paws with you! I'll continue to follow Leo's story with interest :love:

P.S. My Leo says hi!

Back