• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

6 Months Neutered and Mounting.

Elle_P

New Kit
Hello, I have a 2 year old neutered Dutch male (possibly x with lionhead) . He’s been neutered 6 months. Lovely nature - bold, cheeky and likes a fuss.
He was a rescue and I’ve just got him a female mate. Also a rescue. 1 year old Lop. Unspayed. Very laid back. A little bigger than my boy. Certainly chunkier. Shy and wary but tolerates being stroked.

They got along instantly. No aggression. Female very nonchalant. Male more inquisitive.

He soon tied to mount her and laid completely on top of her. She didn’t react at all.

But since then he has got worse. She’s been here 24 hours and he’s getting more frantic with the mounting. He had a short break of a few hours and they were calm with each other and it was lovely. But then he started again - and a lot worse. To the point she’s becoming distressed and running constantly with him hanging onto her back - lying fully And tightly on her - holding onto her with his teeth. If I pull him off his mouth is full of her fur. It’s really upsetting me.

They have an entire bedroom together with 2 lockable Great Dane crates. I’ve put him in his and left her free.

What can I do? He doesn’t appear to be hurting her as she’s not squeaking or anything. But I have a night shift tomorrow and am not sure how to house them overnight... :(

Any help would be appreciated. Thankyou x

Hello, I have a 2 year old neutered Dutch male (possibly x with lionhead) . He’s been neutered 6 months. Lovely nature - bold, cheeky and likes a fuss.
He was a rescue and I’ve just got him a female mate. Also a rescue. 1 year old Lop. Unspayed. Very laid back. A little bigger than my boy. Certainly chunkier. Shy and wary but tolerates being stroked.

They got along instantly. No aggression. Female very nonchalant. Male more inquisitive.

He soon tied to mount her and laid completely on top of her. She didn’t react at all.

But since then he has got worse. She’s been here 24 hours and he’s getting more frantic with the mounting. He had a short break of a few hours and they were calm with each other and it was lovely. But then he started again - and a lot worse. To the point she’s becoming distressed and running constantly with him hanging onto her back - lying fully And tightly on her - holding onto her with his teeth. If I pull him off his mouth is full of her fur. It’s really upsetting me.

They have an entire bedroom together with 2 lockable Great Dane crates. I’ve put him in his and left her free.

What can I do? He doesn’t appear to be hurting her as she’s not squeaking or anything. But I have a night shift tomorrow and am not sure how to house them overnight... :(

Any help would be appreciated. Thankyou x

Hi and welcome to the forum :wave: The situation with your bunnies sounds a bit fraught and I don't think I would leave them alone at all. If he is that persistent, he could harm her. Also, she could get really distressed and become aggressive towards him.

Have you got any plans to have her spayed? If you are, then personally I would split them up now and try again after she has been spayed. He might not be quite so determined then with his attempts to mount her.

Hello and Thankyou so much for that advice. For tonight I’ve put them both in their crates and pushed them next to each other so that they can still enjoy each other’s company. I’ll see if they try to shake the house down trying to get out - my boy usually creates hell rattling and chewing his bars if I shut him in - despite all the space and delicious food and stimulation and sensory things I provide. But so far he’s quieter. Possibly because of his little pal next door. I was hoping to let them roam free so that my neighbours can get some peace but I can’t let them free together.

I absolutely plan to neuter - and vaccine - my new girl asap. As soon as I can call the vet on Monday and get her booked in.

So do you think it could be because she’s giving off ‘fertile’ signs? Is a rabbit like a female dog and can be ‘in heat’?

Hello and Thankyou so much for that advice. For tonight I’ve put them both in their crates and pushed them next to each other so that they can still enjoy each other’s company. I’ll see if they try to shake the house down trying to get out - my boy usually creates hell rattling and chewing his bars if I shut him in - despite all the space and delicious food and stimulation and sensory things I provide. But so far he’s quieter. Possibly because of his little pal next door. I was hoping to let them roam free so that my neighbours can get some peace but I can’t let them free together.

I absolutely plan to neuter - and vaccine - my new girl asap. As soon as I can call the vet on Monday and get her booked in.

So do you think it could be because she’s giving off ‘fertile’ signs? Is a rabbit like a female dog and can be ‘in heat’?

Rabbits do not have times when they are in heat like a female dog. Does are induced ovulators, so ovulate after mating. I would be surprised if your buck does not sense that she is unspayed, but if so, how he reacts would be different according to his character.

Your new female rabbit's character is largely unknown at this stage and may alter as she becomes more settled in her new home. Unpayed female rabbits can be a bit feisty and territorial and they usually calm down after spaying and their hormones change.

Omi has given you good advice. Hopefully once your new rabbit has been spayed, especially if you allow around 6 weeks for her hormones to subside, they will bond together ok :love:

Thanks ever so much. I can see this site is going to be invaluable!

I put them in separate crates last night and had a pretty peaceful night. They seemed happy just being next to each other.

This morning she was itching the play with the boy. I let them run free and they’ve been as sweet as candy all day. Playing, play-mating, rolling, snuggling. Really nice. I’m still going to crate them tonight whilst I work just to be in the safe side :).

Good :) I think it's sensible to separate them when you are not there to observe them.

Back