• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

When Can I Bond My Bunnies?

Hi! I own two rabbits currently. One is a male, the other a female. I am getting the male neutered on the 19th of February. I am not getting my female spayed quite yet because of finances. My rabbits are quite fond of each other sniffing and licking the other through the bars whenever they have the chance. I have bonded bunnies only once before and I know that this bonding will be easy. (They live right next to one another, being able to see each other all the time.) After I get my male rabbit neutered how long do I have to wait until I start bonding them? Also if I bond them and eventually I fix my female would I have to separate them until she heals?

It's actually not always possible to predict how rabbits will react during bonding by how they have reacted with bars in between.

I would leave at least 6 weeks after neutering of your buck before attempting bonding and as you are not spaying your doe yet, I would probably leave it 8 weeks.

If they bond successfully, it should not be necessary to separate them after spaying whilst she heals, although you would need to ensure that he was not being rough with her.

It's actually not always possible to predict how rabbits will react during bonding by how they have reacted with bars in between.

I would leave at least 6 weeks after neutering of your buck before attempting bonding and as you are not spaying your doe yet, I would probably leave it 8 weeks.

If they bond successfully, it should not be necessary to separate them after spaying whilst she heals, although you would need to ensure that he was not being rough with her.

I agree with all of this :thumb:

I agree also and I have heard that rabbits can get pregnant through the bars, so please be careful as it only takes a second for a male to mate with a female.

I second everything that has been mentioned above, like has already been said please allow at least 6 weeks before introducing the male to the female. The following is taken from the RWAF website

‘Male rabbits aren’t sterile immediately after castration (mature sperm may have already left the testicles, and can live a surprisingly long time!), so keep him away from unspayed adult females for up to six weeks after his operation’

I’ve seen some examples of owners not even being told this by their vets after having neutering surgery so I’m always concerned that others may not know too.

Hope it all goes well when the time comes to introduce them properly :)

I agree also and I have heard that rabbits can get pregnant through the bars, so please be careful as it only takes a second for a male to mate with a female.
Thank you for your concern! The bars in between the cages are super tiny. Their tongues can’t even get through.

Last edited:
I really appreciate all of you taking the time to reply to my question!! Thank you sooo much and I will be waiting 6-7 weeks!

Last edited:
Back