• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Bedding for longer haired bunnies?

Hey dudes,

Me again! As always!

I've got Harry, a gorgeous cashmere lop, coming to live with me when I get home in January. I just want to poll everyone to see what experience they have with bedding and longer-haired breeds? I'm staying away from sawdust and shavings, etc, but am not ultra keen on straw...anyone have any other ideas? :D

Hiya, for our Angoras we line the hutches with paper and cover with Vet Bed..this is absorbant and washed daily.
No sawdust in sight as it works its way into the skin.
We stuff hay into tissue boxes so the Angoras can graze away all day without getting covered in it!!.
We use litter trays with raised wire grids placed inside (wire bent away from bunnies feet around edges) , squirt rabbit safe disinfectant into the tray(so it always smells nice) and place a roll of kitchen towel(paper) on the front of the tray so the bunnies sit on that and toilet towards the back of the wired tray.
This system works very well, and the urine does not get onto the long fur :wink:

Hope these ideas help??

Oh thanks!

I've got vet beds already, but don't have my own washing machine so can't wash as often as I like...

I think I'll definitely imply that method once I get onto the litterbox stage once all the bunnies are settled...!!

hi,
iv got a cashmere and is fine on any bedding as there fur is quite managleble, unlike angoras the cashes fur is smooth and silky when adults whereas angoras fur is more wooly but as a baby the cash will need daily grooming but when they have there adult coat once as week is fine, my i do every 2 weeks cause he is such a good boy at keeping clean :D
becky

I have a long haired lionhead and have found hemp bedding good (until he is litter box trained). It is heavy and does not get stuck in the fur.

Vera

Back