• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Stalky hay recommendations?

susie bun

Wise Old Thumper
Bertie's favourite Pure Pastures Timothy hay seems to be out of stock everywhere. He has other hays which he does eat but I do feel he is missing his 'crunchy' hay. Any recommendations?

My buns are the same and love the stalky stuff, but I get it from the local equestrian suppliers! Except local isn't very local any more, it's a 40mi round trip :S So I'd also be interested in any suggestions!

Timothy hay from Timothy hay.co.uk goes down really well here. They also like the oat hay and orchard grass from their but not as much as the Timothy hay. Perhaps you could ask them for samples? I’ve just asked for samples from haybox, and also bought a sample pack from dust free hay due for delivery today so I’ll let you know if they are stalky and go down well here!

You may be able find a supplier that allows you to specify the cutting of the hay. First cutting Timothy hay has with more seed heads and stalks than second cutting hay which has more leaves. Oxbow no longer has that option for USA where I live. They do rate their hay types for comparison from soft to crunchy, and also by sweetness. Orchard grass is softer than Timothy. Oat hay is crunchier.

Do you have The Range nearby - they do a selection of lovely hays. or a lot of folk recommend B&M.

Thank you all. I have B&M within walking distance but their Timothy is usually not the long stalky strands. The Range isn't far but you do need a car. I shall try to get their soon. I will also look into the other options mentioned on the thread. Supreme's Selective Timothy is supposed to be a mix of softy and stalky strands so that might be worth trying.

The haybox Timothy sample was nice and stalky and got eaten very quickly. The meadow sample from them was very fine hay but they are eating it.

I’ve just filled their hay rack with English Timothy hay on one side and stalky hay on the other side from dust free hay. Fern has gone to bed in the high towers but Frosty is eating the English Timothy hay and ignoring the stalky so far....both of those were very stalky.

Last edited:
Frosty is still eating the dust free hay English Timothy hay, and Fern has joined him. They are ignoring the stalky sample at the moment!

Last edited:
I forgot to update this thread, both bunnies liked the hay box Timothy hay, so I ordered some recently, although the order is delayed with everything going off at the moment. The dust free hay samples of Timothy hay went down well, and I’ve just received a big bale of that.

Back