• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

So upset - cut foot, help please

capable

Mama Doe
I had William down at the vets this morning for his Nobivac jab, and we saw a different, what seemed like a new, younger vet. He tidied up a couple of matts around William’s bum and back legs that I wasn’t able to get by myself, but in doing so he caught him with the scissors near one of his toes and made him bleed. He’s also been left with bare skin in a couple of small places around his hock.

My boys live outside, and their runs are on concrete. Quite beside from being furious at the vet, and dreadfully upset at myself for this happening; I’m not sure how to mange it. Vet wasn’t forthcoming, and I was too stunned to ask.

Ideally, I’d bring him inside till some of his foot floof has grown back, but my partner is deathly allergic. I’d been thinking of laying down a really thick straw base in the run, changing it daily, and keeping an eye on it? Is there anything else I can do for him, I feel terrible.

I am really sorry you had this upsetting experience with the Vet. I assume the bunny's foot has stopped bleeding so that should be ok and his bare hock shouldn't be too much of a problem, just keep an eye on him. Yes a bed of soft straw should help to keep him warm and clean, and hopefully he will be ok. Some people use Sudocrem but not sure if you can on an open wound. Someone else will be along will more useful info. Is he ok in himself?

First of all- hugs to you. It’s natural to feel as you do - it shows you care deeply. I’d be more worried if you didn’t feel as you do.
It wasn’t deliberate- it was an accident. If the bleeding has eased, then Williams body is dealing with the cut.
Your dilemma is the indoor situation and allergy. All I can suggest for you is to go with the straw - it’s better than bare concrete. If it’s possible, could you get some vetbed? I know that’s quite pricey but it’s really warm and would provide comfort and soft. Alternatively do you have or can get an old duvet? That might work. Some old carpet underneath anything would also act as an insulation.
I would monitor the wound- if it’s scabbed over then I would let nature do her thing. Just check it’s mice and pink and not angry red and hot - could mean infection. Maybe a gentle wash with water and a bit of salt to clean it.
Hope this helps. Hugs to you and gentle soothing nose rubs to William who must be quite annoyed at the vet.
Craig x

I had William down at the vets this morning for his Nobivac jab, and we saw a different, what seemed like a new, younger vet. He tidied up a couple of matts around William’s bum and back legs that I wasn’t able to get by myself, but in doing so he caught him with the scissors near one of his toes and made him bleed. He’s also been left with bare skin in a couple of small places around his hock.

My boys live outside, and their runs are on concrete. Quite beside from being furious at the vet, and dreadfully upset at myself for this happening; I’m not sure how to mange it. Vet wasn’t forthcoming, and I was too stunned to ask.

Ideally, I’d bring him inside till some of his foot floof has grown back, but my partner is deathly allergic. I’d been thinking of laying down a really thick straw base in the run, changing it daily, and keeping an eye on it? Is there anything else I can do for him, I feel terrible.

Oh poor William :(

Is he okay in himself? That's the main thing. Is it a small cut near his toes?

I think I'd put hay down as its often softer than straw just while he regrows his fluff, or you could put play bark in there, and leave it there permanently, I have it in my buns run it's really spongy to walk on. They like digging in it too.

Hocks not having coverings always worries me, but I think I'd do either of those and just keep a very close eye on the patches, probably daily, to make sure the skin is doing okay and it's regrowing okay and no sores form.

Hope he's okay, I'd be complaining to the vets, that's not what you expect is it.

Hugs xx

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Poor boy, sorry to hear of this happening. I agree if its stopped bleeding, it should be ok, and lots of straw should help. Hope he's ok bless him.

Thank you so, so much everyone, you’ve helped out my mind at ease.

William is a bit subdued, but he’s been in the carrier for a while so I’m not surprised. I’d thought about vet bed, or maybe carpet off it’s, but he uses the whole run as his litter tray, so I’m not sure how well that’d work. I’m currently laying down all the straw I’ve got in at the moment, and I’ll have another look at his foot before I turn him loose.

He’s such a good, brave boy at the vet, and always so well behaved, which breaks my heart even more. I’ll be making a point of specifying we don’t want that vet again.

Thank you so, so much everyone, you’ve helped out my mind at ease.

William is a bit subdued, but he’s been in the carrier for a while so I’m not surprised. I’d thought about vet bed, or maybe carpet off it’s, but he uses the whole run as his litter tray, so I’m not sure how well that’d work. I’m currently laying down all the straw I’ve got in at the moment, and I’ll have another look at his foot before I turn him loose.

He’s such a good, brave boy at the vet, and always so well behaved, which breaks my heart even more. I’ll be making a point of specifying we don’t want that vet again.

I wouldn't use carpet personally as I think it can be quite abrasive iirc.

Hopefully he'll perk up once he's in his familiar home :)

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

You can buy soft straw, usually sold as 'compressed straw bedding'. I would see if you can find some of that as it is actually softer than hay.

You will need to do daily checks on the hocks and cut skin to check for infection. I doubt the Vet thought to consider administering some pain relief................... If not the keep an eye on William's input & output as if he is sore his gut motility may be affected.

This is a good 'First Aid' product to keep and I have found it to be excellent for managing sore hocks and other abrasions

https://www.vetuk.co.uk/veterinary-...re-c-141_169/derbymed-scp-spray-200ml-p-41660

Personally I would write to the Principle Vet at the practice about the incident, enclosing photos if possible. I expect the Vet did not feel great about what happened, but he needs to learn from it. Especially about not cutting/shaving fur from the hocks.

You can buy soft straw, usually sold as 'compressed straw bedding'. I would see if you can find some of that as it is actually softer than hay.

You will need to do daily checks on the hocks and cut skin to check for infection. I doubt the Vet thought to consider administering some pain relief................... If not the keep an eye on William's input & output as if he is sore his gut motility may be affected.

This is a good 'First Aid' product to keep and I have found it to be excellent for managing sore hocks and other abrasions

https://www.vetuk.co.uk/veterinary-...re-c-141_169/derbymed-scp-spray-200ml-p-41660

Personally I would write to the Principle Vet at the practice about the incident, enclosing photos if possible. I expect the Vet did not feel great about what happened, but he needs to learn from it. Especially about not cutting/shaving fur from the hocks.

Thank you Jane, yes I’ll be checking his feet every day till his fur grows back in. Thankfully I’ve got a couple of ‘compressed straw’ bales which I laid down in the run, and is nice and soft. I took another quick look at his foot, but he was in a big hurry to get out the carrier and snuffle around in all the straw! He seems to be feeling well in himself, as he started scoffing the straw in the minutes it took me to clean his litter tray and put hay in it! :lol:

I think the vet did feel bad, and he was apologetic when I was leaving, but if he is a junior like I think he might’ve been, it may be worth sending an email.

Sending lots of hugs and vibes. I agree with JJ, I would complain to the principal vet. I hope it heals up soon xx

Thanks everyone. I’m not sure if William has eaten much hay, but I keep catching him munching the straw?? :? Will it be bad for him if he eats straw instead of hay?

He ate his nuggets slowly today, but stuffed himself with greens like usual. He still won’t let me catch him to look at his foot, but his ears felt very warm when I checked on him this evening - could this be a sign of infection, or maybe just from being toasty in all the straw?

If he picks over his breakfast tomorrow, I may take him back to the vet (different vet!) for a look.

I don’t think eating the straw will do any harm as it’s still fibre. The fact he’s eating greens is good.
If you can, make sure he’s getting water - maybe add some to the greens and make them a bit wetter?
He’s probably very defensive of his foot - the fight or flight instinct. Observe how he’s using it if you can.
And yup, a vet check is good idea and yes, different vet and explain your concerns as to why.
Continuing to top up the vibes for William.
Craig x

Thanks everyone. I’m not sure if William has eaten much hay, but I keep catching him munching the straw?? :? Will it be bad for him if he eats straw instead of hay?

He ate his nuggets slowly today, but stuffed himself with greens like usual. He still won’t let me catch him to look at his foot, but his ears felt very warm when I checked on him this evening - could this be a sign of infection, or maybe just from being toasty in all the straw?

If he picks over his breakfast tomorrow, I may take him back to the vet (different vet!) for a look.

What is his output like ? What comes out is as important as what is going in when it comes to monitoring gut motility. It is not unusual for a Rabbit to feel a bit off colour during the first 24-48 hours after receiving a vaccination, rather like we may do after having a Flu jab

''Adverse reaction
A transient temperature increase of 1 - 2 °C can commonly occur. A small, non-painful swelling (maximum 2 cm diameter) at the injection site is commonly observed within the first two weeks after vaccination. The swelling will resolve completely by 3 weeks after vaccination..
In pet rabbits, in very rare cases, local reactions at the injection site such as necrosis, scabs, crusts or hair loss may occur. In very rare cases serious hypersensitivity reactions, which may be fatal, may occur after vaccination. In very rare cases the appearance of mild clinical signs of myxomatosis may occur within 3 weeks of vaccination. Recent or latent infection with field myxoma virus seems to play a role in this to a certain extent.
The frequency of adverse reactions is defined using the following convention:
-very common (more than 1 in 10 animals displaying adverse reactions during the course of one treatment)
-common (more than 1 but less than 10 animals in 100 animals)
-uncommon (more than 1 but less than 10 animals in 1,000 animals)
-rare (more than 1 but less than 10 animals in 10,000 animals)
-very rare (less than 1 animal in 10,000 animals, including isolated reports)''.

Full Nobivac Myxo-RHD Data Sheet here:

http://www.noahcompendium.co.uk/?id=-455496

If you are unable to check his hocks today then he does need to be seen by a Vet, even if he is eating again. If the skin opens up then infection can easily get in and that brings a heap of trouble. Hope he is back to normal soon x

Thank you both! His mobility this morning is excellent, and he tucked into his breakfast happily. He’d also eaten a fair bit of the hay overnight too, which is good. I’ll be trying to get him down this afternoon to have his foot looked at again.

Thank you again :love:

I’m glad he is eating well and seeming to be fine, topping up the vibes for him.

I’ve never used straw for the bunnies, I remember once reading about it possibly causing impaction but I can’t find the threads at the moment.

Thank you both, I’ve been having to rummage through the straw to find poops, but they’re plentiful and nice and golden as usual - he’s always been my best pooper! :lol:

We’re just home from the vets, his cut has closed up nicely, and while his hocks still look bare and sorry for themselves, there’s no angry skin or sign of infection, thank goodness. He got a painkilling injection, and one for gut motility, and got some critical care too, just in case. Hopefully the lack of appetite is down to post-jab ickyness, and he’ll be back to himself soon.

Back