Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: So upset - cut foot, help please

Mama Doe

Default So upset - cut foot, help please

I had William down at the vets this morning for his Nobivac jab, and we saw a different, what seemed like a new, younger vet. He tidied up a couple of matts around Williamís bum and back legs that I wasnít able to get by myself, but in doing so he caught him with the scissors near one of his toes and made him bleed. Heís also been left with bare skin in a couple of small places around his hock.

My boys live outside, and their runs are on concrete. Quite beside from being furious at the vet, and dreadfully upset at myself for this happening; Iím not sure how to mange it. Vet wasnít forthcoming, and I was too stunned to ask.

Ideally, Iíd bring him inside till some of his foot floof has grown back, but my partner is deathly allergic. Iíd been thinking of laying down a really thick straw base in the run, changing it daily, and keeping an eye on it? Is there anything else I can do for him, I feel terrible.

Wise Old Thumper

I am really sorry you had this upsetting experience with the Vet. I assume the bunny's foot has stopped bleeding so that should be ok and his bare hock shouldn't be too much of a problem, just keep an eye on him. Yes a bed of soft straw should help to keep him warm and clean, and hopefully he will be ok. Some people use Sudocrem but not sure if you can on an open wound. Someone else will be along will more useful info. Is he ok in himself?

First of all- hugs to you. It’s natural to feel as you do - it shows you care deeply. I’d be more worried if you didn’t feel as you do.
    It wasn’t deliberate- it was an accident. If the bleeding has eased, then Williams body is dealing with the cut.
    Your dilemma is the indoor situation and allergy. All I can suggest for you is to go with the straw - it’s better than bare concrete. If it’s possible, could you get some vetbed? I know that’s quite pricey but it’s really warm and would provide comfort and soft. Alternatively do you have or can get an old duvet? That might work. Some old carpet underneath anything would also act as an insulation.
    I would monitor the wound- if it’s scabbed over then I would let nature do her thing. Just check it’s mice and pink and not angry red and hot - could mean infection. Maybe a gentle wash with water and a bit of salt to clean it.
    Hope this helps. Hugs to you and gentle soothing nose rubs to William who must be quite annoyed at the vet.
    Craig x
    IF YOU NEED HELP WITH ANYTHING PLEASE SEND ME A PM OR ANY OF THE OTHER FORUM BUDDIES

Quote Originally Posted by capable View Post
    I had William down at the vets this morning for his Nobivac jab, and we saw a different, what seemed like a new, younger vet. He tidied up a couple of matts around Williamís bum and back legs that I wasnít able to get by myself, but in doing so he caught him with the scissors near one of his toes and made him bleed. Heís also been left with bare skin in a couple of small places around his hock.

My boys live outside, and their runs are on concrete. Quite beside from being furious at the vet, and dreadfully upset at myself for this happening; Iím not sure how to mange it. Vet wasnít forthcoming, and I was too stunned to ask.

Ideally, Iíd bring him inside till some of his foot floof has grown back, but my partner is deathly allergic. Iíd been thinking of laying down a really thick straw base in the run, changing it daily, and keeping an eye on it? Is there anything else I can do for him, I feel terrible.
    Oh poor William

Is he okay in himself? That's the main thing. Is it a small cut near his toes?

I think I'd put hay down as its often softer than straw just while he regrows his fluff, or you could put play bark in there, and leave it there permanently, I have it in my buns run it's really spongy to walk on. They like digging in it too.

Hocks not having coverings always worries me, but I think I'd do either of those and just keep a very close eye on the patches, probably daily, to make sure the skin is doing okay and it's regrowing okay and no sores form.

Hope he's okay, I'd be complaining to the vets, that's not what you expect is it.

Hugs xx

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Poor boy, sorry to hear of this happening. I agree if its stopped bleeding, it should be ok, and lots of straw should help. Hope he's ok bless him.
    IF YOU NEED HELP WITH ANYTHING PLEASE SEND ME A PM OR ANY OF THE OTHER FORUM BUDDIES

Mama Doe

Thank you so, so much everyone, you’ve helped out my mind at ease.

William is a bit subdued, but he’s been in the carrier for a while so I’m not surprised. I’d thought about vet bed, or maybe carpet off it’s, but he uses the whole run as his litter tray, so I’m not sure how well that’d work. I’m currently laying down all the straw I’ve got in at the moment, and I’ll have another look at his foot before I turn him loose.

He’s such a good, brave boy at the vet, and always so well behaved, which breaks my heart even more. I’ll be making a point of specifying we don’t want that vet again.

Quote Originally Posted by capable View Post
    Thank you so, so much everyone, youíve helped out my mind at ease.

William is a bit subdued, but heís been in the carrier for a while so Iím not surprised. Iíd thought about vet bed, or maybe carpet off itís, but he uses the whole run as his litter tray, so Iím not sure how well thatíd work. Iím currently laying down all the straw Iíve got in at the moment, and Iíll have another look at his foot before I turn him loose.

Heís such a good, brave boy at the vet, and always so well behaved, which breaks my heart even more. Iíll be making a point of specifying we donít want that vet again.
    I wouldn't use carpet personally as I think it can be quite abrasive iirc.

Hopefully he'll perk up once he's in his familiar home

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Wise Old Thumper

You can buy soft straw, usually sold as 'compressed straw bedding'. I would see if you can find some of that as it is actually softer than hay.

You will need to do daily checks on the hocks and cut skin to check for infection. I doubt the Vet thought to consider administering some pain relief................... If not the keep an eye on William's input & output as if he is sore his gut motility may be affected.

This is a good 'First Aid' product to keep and I have found it to be excellent for managing sore hocks and other abrasions

https://www.vetuk.co.uk/veterinary-s...-200ml-p-41660

Personally I would write to the Principle Vet at the practice about the incident, enclosing photos if possible. I expect the Vet did not feel great about what happened, but he needs to learn from it. Especially about not cutting/shaving fur from the hocks.
    I AM NOW POSTING AS 'InspectorMorse' BECAUSE A TECHNICAL PROBLEM HAS LOCKED ME OUT OF MY 'Jack's-Jane' ACCOUNT ON SOME DEVICES !!

Mama Doe

Quote Originally Posted by Jack's-Jane View Post
    You can buy soft straw, usually sold as 'compressed straw bedding'. I would see if you can find some of that as it is actually softer than hay.

You will need to do daily checks on the hocks and cut skin to check for infection. I doubt the Vet thought to consider administering some pain relief................... If not the keep an eye on William's input & output as if he is sore his gut motility may be affected.

This is a good 'First Aid' product to keep and I have found it to be excellent for managing sore hocks and other abrasions

https://www.vetuk.co.uk/veterinary-s...-200ml-p-41660

Personally I would write to the Principle Vet at the practice about the incident, enclosing photos if possible. I expect the Vet did not feel great about what happened, but he needs to learn from it. Especially about not cutting/shaving fur from the hocks.
    Thank you Jane, yes I’ll be checking his feet every day till his fur grows back in. Thankfully I’ve got a couple of ‘compressed straw’ bales which I laid down in the run, and is nice and soft. I took another quick look at his foot, but he was in a big hurry to get out the carrier and snuffle around in all the straw! He seems to be feeling well in himself, as he started scoffing the straw in the minutes it took me to clean his litter tray and put hay in it!

I think the vet did feel bad, and he was apologetic when I was leaving, but if he is a junior like I think he might’ve been, it may be worth sending an email.

manuka honey can accelerate the healing as well
    "The greatness of a nation can be judged by the way its animals are treated." -- Gandhi