• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

waxy sticky runny eyes bad eye thread

creator

New Kit
won't be the answer for everyone, but by chance found the solution to my rabbits sticky eyes,
(its hay) or to be more precise meadow hay bought from the local shops,
we bring the rabbit in the house for winter and ran out of hay, there was no rush to get replacement as we had loads of vegetables and dry food,
we noticed the eye was getting better and put it down to the extra care he was getting in the house, but when we finally got to the shops and bought hey, his eye flared up big style,
suspicion grew and we withdrew all hay, which had only been given in small amounts for food,
well i'm pleased to say that all symptoms have cleared up,
so sure that it's the hey I have created an account just so i could tell you boppers,
hope this helps someone.
:love:

Hi, thanks for reporting your experience with this. It sounds to me as though it's not hay per se but the fact that it was that type of hay. Maybe it was dusty or had some other characteristic which caused the eye problem.

Rabbits really need to eat lots of hay if they are able as it helps to wear their teeth down and thereby prevent dental disease. It also keeps their digestive tract working effectively.

I think if I were you I would try a different type of hay from a different supplier and see if your bunny experiences the same problems.

Hi, thanks for reporting your experience with this. It sounds to me as though it's not hay per se but the fact that it was that type of hay. Maybe it was dusty or had some other characteristic which caused the eye problem.

Rabbits really need to eat lots of hay if they are able as it helps to wear their teeth down and thereby prevent dental disease. It also keeps their digestive tract working effectively.

I think if I were you I would try a different type of hay from a different supplier and see if your bunny experiences the same problems.

I agree with all Omi has posted

Here are some links to advice about the importance of hay in a Rabbit's diet :)

https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/rabbit-diet/

http://www.therabbithouse.com/diet/

https://www.harcourt-brown.co.uk/ar...heets/recommended-diet-for-adult-rabbits/view

To be completely honest this post makes me very concerned for your rabbit and anyone who may not be educated in rabbit care reading this. Hay is VITAL to rabbits and their digestive system, as Omi has already mentioned. Hay should make up 80% of a rabbits diet and pellets should only make up around 5%, with the remaining 15% being fresh leafy vegetables. Please to not withdraw hay from your rabbits’ diet ever, as it can cause a variety of problems including poor dental health (leading to sharp spurs on teeth making it painful to eat) and GI stasis, both of which can lead to death in rabbits (within 12 hours for GI stasis). I would make an educated guess in your situation that possibly the TYPE of hay you were using has caused your rabbits’ eye issues, but this does not justify in any way you remaining hay from their diet. Meadow hay from pet stores is often very poor quality and can be dusty as you mentioned. However, good quality Timothy Hay for example from online suppliers such as smallpetselect or timothyhay.co.uk will not cause such issues as it is not dusty in my experience. Pet store hay is often low quality in general as it is kept in plastic bags and has been so for months or longer, reducing its quality, but if you do want to buy from a pet store then Excel Burgess is a decent brand of Timothy hay, even though the online suppliers I mentioned above are far better quality in my opinion. Please take my advice into consideration as a diet high in processed pellets and too many leafy greens can cause long term health problems which can ultimately cost your rabbit their life. Please do your research (many links have been provided below) and dramatically increase your rabbits’ hay consumption in order to give it the nutrients he/she vitally needs.

Back