• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Aggression after being away

LittleEskimo

Mama Doe
Hello, I recently came back from a 5 week trip away and my rabbit has started to act very different.
I adopted him last April and he's just turned a year old this month. I got him vaccinated and neutered and he was an awesome house rabbit, completely free range. He learnt to use his litter tray quickly, was very relaxed and loves cuddles. Not to say we didn't have one or two accidents with pee and phone cables being ruined.
But anyway. I went away for 5 weeks recently and just got back the other week. I had my sister (who also has rabbits) look after him for me. She said he was very frustrated with having to be put into a cage at night but she let him run around certain areas of the house everyday. Her rabbits did end up meeting him through the cage bars once or twice while they were having floor time, and he didn't seem to like one of them, but she tried to keep them separate so they wouldn't get stressed.

Apart from that he seemed fine while he was there. But since I brought him home he seems a little off. He seems agitated and on edge. But only sometimes. Particularly on my bed. He's happy to flop down next to me in bed, sleep by my side or feet, have big cuddles and head pat's, flop down next to my feet while I'm sat at my desk etc etc. He follows me around lots. But the issue is he seems to get agitated and he digs and bites furiously at my bedding and mattress and pees on it. When I try to stop him, pick him up and out him on the floor, he grunts and tries to nip at me. It's gotten quite bad now and I've been bruised by him on my hands and wrists. After he exhausts himself digging he will lay down for a few minutes before starting up again.

I just don't know what's gotten into him. He seems obsessed with doing it when he's never done anything like this before.
He's eating and drinking fine, gets the zoomies still, flops over and sleeps happily on the carpet. It's just this.
I'm wondering if switching environments or having met other rabbits has upset him a bit. Or maybe he's bored and lonely which is why he follows me around and looks for cuddles. I have plans to adopt him a girlfriend but I'm having to convince my mum still so it's an ongoing process. I'm just so very confused and becoming very concerned.

I would wonder if it’s because he’s met other bunnies (albeit through bars) and now he is alone again. I think it would be a good idea to adopt a bunny friend for him. A good rescue will be able to suggest suitable partners who are already neutered and vaccinated :thumb:

If you have only just come back home he will need time to re-adjust. Rabbits don't cope well with changes and don't understand when their human goes away.

I agree with tonibun also, and I do not think it is likely because he met another rabbit for a short period of time; I think it’s unlikely that it would cause such behaviour (surely a depression in most cases) which is not evident. Give him time and I’m sure he will come around.

Back