• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Almost Friends

Beapig

Mama Doe
20200124_150530 by Rachel Brown, on Flickr

This is the closest that Beatrice has been to Jellybean and she didn't run away for a whole 5 minutes. Jellybean is also mellowing, but did proceed to grunt at her and chase her off after I took the photo. I think that time is a healer and these two are starting to find some middle ground :love:

Lovely photo :love: pleased they are happier, must be such a relief.
Also gives me hope for bonding my trio!

20200124_150530 by Rachel Brown, on Flickr

This is the closest that Beatrice has been to Jellybean and she didn't run away for a whole 5 minutes. Jellybean is also mellowing, but did proceed to grunt at her and chase her off after I took the photo. I think that time is a healer and these two are starting to find some middle ground :love:

Beautiful pic :love: This is also such good news for your three.

Out of interest, is it just around food that the problems arise? We have 4 hens, two older hens and two chicks that we've had for almost a year. They are all the best of friends now until there's food to be had. Then the older hens tolerate all 4 eating together until the food starts to get less and then the chicks are chased away :)

Beautiful pic :love: This is also such good news for your three.

Out of interest, is it just around food that the problems arise? We have 4 hens, two older hens and two chicks that we've had for almost a year. They are all the best of friends now until there's food to be had. Then the older hens tolerate all 4 eating together until the food starts to get less and then the chicks are chased away :)

I think that food definitely triggers confrontation, but only between Jellybean and Beatrice. In the morning, Jellybean and Hamilton eat their breakfast together but Beatrice has hers in a bowl a few metres away. Jelly has always been a bit territorial - when she was a house bun she would grunt and headbutt my hand when I swept up her poops.

I think Jelly is mellowing though, and Hamilton seems to have re-bonded with Beatrice these past few weeks which helps. He spends time snuggling both of them at different times and I wonder if that's made Jellybean behave differently towards her. I wish I could get in their heads to work it all out! Haha.

Back