Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: a question for Syringe Feeders

Default a question for Syringe Feeders

What position do you use ? Burrito & hold bun semi upright or all paws on the ground / table?
    Last edited by joey&boo; 24-01-2020 at 03:23 PM.

Burrito on a table. So that their mouth is eye level and I can see more closely what is actually going in, rather than anywhere else
    Last edited by bunniemum; 24-01-2020 at 03:28 PM.
    Every Bun deserves some love, no matter what their breed, colour or background

Quote Originally Posted by joey&boo View Post
    What position do you use ? Burrito & hold bun semi upright or all paws on the ground / table?
    On the floor, no burrito, front paws in my left hand (or resting on left wrist area or arm) raised a few cm off the floor, syringe in right hand. Just works for my lot, it's how I do meds too. And I'm just kinda leaning over them. With the white buns as they're outside now, I do the same thing but on our garden table, I put a towel down so they're standing on a clean towel, but everything else is the same, I find doing it easier on the floor though

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Mama Doe Scrappy's Little Helper's Avatar

I have to use different methods for Snoopy and Fudgie.

For Fudgie, I wrap her in a blanket, have her with all four feet on the floor and between my knees. I lean over to feed her.

Snoopy refuses to take the syringe that way so I have him wrapped in a blanket and held upright. I don't really like doing it that way as I always worry there's a greater aspiration risk but it seems to be the only way he'll take it without a fight.

Sent from my SM-T585 using Tapatalk
    [IMG][/IMG]

Bunnies: Snoopy and Chocolate Fudge Cake

At the Bridge: Scrappy My bunny mentor and the beautiful girl who introduced me to the wonderful world of rabbits

Peanut Butter My cheeky boy who came so far in learning to love and trust humans. If only you could have stayed a bit longer

A bit of variation then. I've always gone for the Snoopy method but recently found the Clementine & Atticus method actually works. I'd quite like to burrito him & try on the table but haven't yet owing to concerns he might not want to eat out of his familiar territory - nothing lost in trying though

Thanks for your replies

Hope it works for you, good luck!
    Every Bun deserves some love, no matter what their breed, colour or background

Always burrito Phillip and hold him semi upright when he needs feeding. The last time someone tried it with his paws on the floor they ended up with a mouthful of baytril

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aboleth was a cooperative-ish all feet on floor, no burrito, at her level, but she was so unwell she wasn't really feeling up to a fight Lopsy has too much neck movement and can bury his face into his chest through our (rubbish) burritos.
    The geeky one...

Often available for bunny runs: PM for details.

Wise Old Thumper

I find all 4 paws on the ground to be the best method for most if not all interventions such as medicating and nail-cutting. I find having rabbits on my lap or worse wrapped up burrito-style freaks them out more, resulting in more struggles. I think it must to an extent depend on the rabbit though. With rabbits who are comfortable sitting on laps then maybe it's different.

Quote Originally Posted by Omi View Post
    I find all 4 paws on the ground to be the best method for most if not all interventions such as medicating and nail-cutting. I find having rabbits on my lap or worse wrapped up burrito-style freaks them out more, resulting in more struggles. I think it must to an extent depend on the rabbit though. With rabbits who are comfortable sitting on laps then maybe it's different.
    You know I kinda agree with burritos freaking some buns out, it's weird none of mine need burrito'ing by me really, but I find with buns I don't know or buns who won't be touched or handled it's the best way to get it over and done with, making it less stressful for them.

I wrapped a towel round Atticus last time he was sick and being medicated, mainly so I didn't get covered in poop but he prefers no towel, but I couldn't give him fluids every hour without a towel barrier between us, I'd have run out of clothes very quickly

So basically unknown buns, or buns not used to it, burritos can work really well.. But once they know you and know the deal.. I think it's more scary for them to have a towel wrapped round them.. Clementine won't have a towel near her now, but she'll tolerate any medication or fluids etc it's like she gets it. At the vets though they have to burrito her and be careful, she takes lumps out of them makes me sad, she's never bitten me or my boyfriend, she's the sweetest, clearly her experience at that vets has scared her. She lunges at anyone who comes near her - at trinity vets she was sweet and inquisitive, I kept worrying she'd bite mark, but she was like a different bun! Buns are more intelligent than we give them credit for I think

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk