• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Susan - I am probably just worrying / paranoid

I do understand how you feel. The hardest thing about having bunnies is that when you lose one, you all too often find yourself in the position of having to get another rabbit for the remaining bun's welfare when you're not emotionally ready yourself to do that. Sadly I know only too well how difficult and painful this is but I think you're doing an incredibly selfless thing in putting Susan's needs first.

I can also empathise with that feeling of being cheated and angry at the Universe when you lose them too soon, and Dilly was still very young [emoji17] About three years ago I adopted Peanut Butter along with his friend Snoopy (who is still with me). The boys had been in rescue for over two years waiting for their forever home. Sadly Peanut Butter only got to enjoy his new home for 6 months before succumbing to abscesses in both ears. I still feel very upset and bitter at the unfairness of him having to wait so long and then only having a short time in his forever home.

Good luck with your visit with the RSPCA. And please continue to talk to us as many of us truly understand how you're feeling right now xx

Sent from my SM-T585 using Tapatalk

I agree with the others, I would always go to a rescue over a breeder, the animals there are already in need and they’ve been health checked, vaccinated and neutered, and also the rescue will be able to tell you about the temperament of the bunnies and the best fit for your circumstances. And you would have backup if the bond didn’t work out.

Thank you again, you know I really cannot thank you all enough for the support and guidance you have given.

So today, we drove for 2.5 hours from Lancashire to Colwyn Bay. We arrived at 11.30am and they were expecting us. We had previously got Susan from them and the girls remembered Susan albeit as Boudica - her rspca name.

We went into the bunny house and stood for a while letting the bunnies get used to us being there and waiting for the lass to come and help us. Rabbit De Niro was tiny and really hand shy. We were told he was the favourite of the volunteers as he was so friendly but he was really scared of us.
Whilst looking at Rabbit De Niro my OH was looking at the others, he pointed to a lop earred rabbit called Hoptimus Prime. Hopitmus was busy grooming OH through the bars - he had a superb personality.
We checked if he was suitable to be rehomed and yes he was, he was on their website so we Whatsapped photos of him to family.
Hoptimus being only 1 year old, a lop and small was everything I didnt want for Susans companion but he had a massive personality. Yes please could we take him.
The RSPCA girl said of course but I asked if OH and I could have a walk before setting off back home, leaving Hopitmus Prime in situ until we were ready to set off - 2.5 hours in the car was a long time for him
We returned from our walk and took the carrier through to Rabbit House. The volunteer was loading him into the carrier and we went to reception to pay. OH was thrilled to bits, I was relieved and happy that we had picked the right rabbit for Susan.

As we were at the checkout another member of staff came out and said "you cant take him, I forgot to put a reserved notice on him" We were really shocked and perhaps more upset with the situation as we had checked and rechecked that we were making the right decision - I wish we hadnt gone for the walk, we would have been down the motorway with him.

Back to the thinking board.

Thank you again, you know I really cannot thank you all enough for the support and guidance you have given.

So today, we drove for 2.5 hours from Lancashire to Colwyn Bay. We arrived at 11.30am and they were expecting us. We had previously got Susan from them and the girls remembered Susan albeit as Boudica - her rspca name.

We went into the bunny house and stood for a while letting the bunnies get used to us being there and waiting for the lass to come and help us. Rabbit De Niro was tiny and really hand shy. We were told he was the favourite of the volunteers as he was so friendly but he was really scared of us.
Whilst looking at Rabbit De Niro my OH was looking at the others, he pointed to a lop earred rabbit called Hoptimus Prime. Hopitmus was busy grooming OH through the bars - he had a superb personality.
We checked if he was suitable to be rehomed and yes he was, he was on their website so we Whatsapped photos of him to family.
Hoptimus being only 1 year old, a lop and small was everything I didnt want for Susans companion but he had a massive personality. Yes please could we take him.
The RSPCA girl said of course but I asked if OH and I could have a walk before setting off back home, leaving Hopitmus Prime in situ until we were ready to set off - 2.5 hours in the car was a long time for him
We returned from our walk and took the carrier through to Rabbit House. The volunteer was loading him into the carrier and we went to reception to pay. OH was thrilled to bits, I was relieved and happy that we had picked the right rabbit for Susan.

As we were at the checkout another member of staff came out and said "you cant take him, I forgot to put a reserved notice on him" We were really shocked and perhaps more upset with the situation as we had checked and rechecked that we were making the right decision - I wish we hadnt gone for the walk, we would have been down the motorway with him.

Back to the thinking board.

Oh no I'm so sorry to hear this, I'm gutted for you, but I'm a great believer in fate, so maybe this bunny wasn't meant to be the one. I'm sure there will be a perfect bunny waiting for Susan, and you will find him I'm sure. Big hugs, I know you and O.H. must be feeling disappointed xxx

Oh no, I'm so upset for you :( That's dreadful. It makes me so cross when the organisation in these places is so rotten.

However, as you say back to the thinking board and it hasn't been an entirely wasted journey because you will now feel more confident to consider a younger rabbit as long as the character is right :)

Aww that's not good. From this I guess you can take that a loving personality is on the top of your criteria list. I agree with Petsmum & hope a better suitor is just round the corner. I'm sorry it didn't go better xx

Thanks guys :)

Please can I ask, can female / female bonds happen ? I have been looking for a male but dont know why?

too stressful to risk it IMO - you've had enough bunny stress. Its a combination I wouldn't try as a pair. Sisters seem to get on well but thats no use to Susan

too stressful to risk it IMO - you've had enough bunny stress. Its a combination I wouldn't try as a pair. Sisters seem to get on well but thats no use to Susan

I agree. I'm sure there will be exceptions, but I think that female + female is likely to be the worst combination.

Oh no I'm really sorry you didn't get the bun you'd set your heart on. [emoji17] I agree with the others that it wasn't a wasted trip as it's given you some clarity on what you're looking for in a bunny.

I think it would be a brave person to take on a female pair. Unfortunately girl buns have a reputation for being tricky to bond succesfully. Think Joan Crawford and Bette Davis with bigger ears!

Not sure if Gloucestershire is easy for you to get to. If it is then I really recommend Windwhistle Warren. I've adopted from there and Alice is a lovely lady who I'm sure will help you find the perfect friend for Susan.

Oh no I'm really sorry you didn't get the bun you'd set your heart on. [emoji17] I agree with the others that it wasn't a wasted trip as it's given you some clarity on what you're looking for in a bunny.

I think it would be a brave person to take on a female pair. Unfortunately girl buns have a reputation for being tricky to bond succesfully. Think Joan Crawford and Bette Davis with bigger ears!

Not sure if Gloucestershire is easy for you to get to. If it is then I really recommend Windwhistle Warren. I've adopted from there and Alice is a lovely lady who I'm sure will help you find the perfect friend for Susan.

I would absolutely support this 100%. I drove from here to adopt the Rex family from Alice :love: It would be a long way for you though.

Thanks guys :)

Please can I ask, can female / female bonds happen ? I have been looking for a male but dont know why?
I'm sorry about your experience, really not good :(

I think I'd stick with a male if I was you, it seems to be easier to bond them together.

Although my male and female bun keep falling out.. And have to be separated. Whereas my bonded girls are so close [emoji38] so there's always exceptions I guess? Mine had some issues before they were spayed but after they were spayed they're very close, I don't know if they're sisters, I'd assume so, although Penelope believe it or not is much larger than Apricot, but I guess you could have a couple of kgs difference in weight in a litter? Idk tbh.

I think if Susan is having "dates" they could try with either gender, but I'd be wary of just bringing a girl home I think.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Oh dear it is 3.20mins away, they probably wouldnt rehome this far away. However I have had a look at their facebook page and they have a lovely lad called called Basil. I will email them and so if there is a mileage limit - the RSPCA has as it is not fair to travel hours with bunnies.

Oh dear it is 3.20mins away, they probably wouldnt rehome this far away. However I have had a look at their facebook page and they have a lovely lad called called Basil. I will email them and so if there is a mileage limit - the RSPCA has as it is not fair to travel hours with bunnies.

I can't view facebook, but from here to Gloucester it is 3.10mins :)

They do rehome nationally so you should still be ok. My pair actually came all the way down here to London, which I believe took just over 4 hours.

Oh I almost forgot. There's also Honeybunnies, based in Leicester, who I believe also rehome nationally.

The other one I thought of is Rabbit Rescue North West, who I think are based in Manchester (or thereabouts).

I must have been really lucky as I've had lots of bonded girls living together happily in pairs or larger groups.

I have adopted buns from BARC which is a very long way from where I live. They rehome nationally and Angie is brilliant at knowing her buns' personalities. She has never got it wrong with choosing a bun for my existing bun(s). BARC bunnies can be naughty though:)

Thank you everyone, Rhianna - I know Barc and Angie - she has nothing in large enough to cope with Big Susan at the moment.

SLH I have checked RRNW but will look at Honeybunnies - thank you

Graciee - thank you I dont think I will do dates, I will take to Mere Moggies the bonder - I am not brave enough :)

I assume you've tried these but thought I'd link anyway

Joey came from this RSPCA.
https://www.bleakholt.org/lancashire-animal-sanctuary/adopt-a-small-animal/
I felt good about rehoming him from there as accomodation not the best & he'd been stuck there over a year
Willow looks like Rudey:love: The wildie cross pair are gorgeous if totally unsuitable

Boo came from RSPCA Altrincham. The rabbits were managed by Jo who was ace. They were fostered out & you can see the care (I think) in the detail they've posted . Jo offered to bond for us. She homechecked us when we lived in Sough so you'd be a lot closer. Buster looks fun . Dunno about size. I'd maybe call her as not all buns will be advertised

http://www.rspca-altrincham-cheshire.org.uk/Rabbits.html

Back