• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Susan - I am probably just worrying / paranoid

I assume you've tried these but thought I'd link anyway

Joey came from this RSPCA.
https://www.bleakholt.org/lancashire-animal-sanctuary/adopt-a-small-animal/
I felt good about rehoming him from there as accomodation not the best & he'd been stuck there over a year
Willow looks like Rudey:love: The wildie cross pair are gorgeous if totally unsuitable

Boo came from RSPCA Altrincham. The rabbits were managed by Jo who was ace. They were fostered out & you can see the care (I think) in the detail they've posted . Jo offered to bond for us. She homechecked us when we lived in Sough so you'd be a lot closer. Buster looks fun . Dunno about size. I'd maybe call her as not all buns will be advertised

http://www.rspca-altrincham-cheshire.org.uk/Rabbits.html

Thanks J&B, bad news here, Mere Moggies have emailed back to say they are under new management and no longer bonding - now that is a fly in the works :(

Oh no that's a shame about Mere Moggies [emoji17]

I may be wrong about this but I think Windwhistle will kickstart the bonding for you. I think they'd stay there for about a week or so. Although best to double check that with them first.

If they do start off the bonding for you, I think a good strategy would be to take Susan down. Have Basil as the preferred choice but if they don't get on they could try her with another bun. They have so much experience I'm pretty certain they would find the right bun for Susan. Plus it should help you feel more confident they'll fully bond succesfully when you bring them home.

Good luck, I hope you hear back soon.

Sent from my SM-T585 using Tapatalk

I’m so sorry that things haven’t worked out well today, that’s really not good :cry: I agree with the others, I would stick to M/F pairing. I’ve heard good things about Windwhistle Warren and Honeybunnies, and I have adopted from BARC twice before. Fern came from there and Angie was great at suggesting suitable bunnies to bond with Frosty.

Sending hugs to you xx

I’ve just thought, I wouldn’t worry too much about size difference. Frosty is 1.3 kg and Fern is just over 2kg, and it doesn’t seem to have ever been an issue.

Shhh dont tell anyone but 5.3kgs.

Thank you all for your help. I have emailed Windwhistle, and Pickles is beautiful however I was refused Rex as he was 180 miles away from the RSPCA.

I am more than happy to travel with Susan, We can pack up and stop somewhere overnight if needed. I will do whatever is needed to have this right for her.

Thank you again - I really do appreciate it and am a little overawed how much help, support and guidance you are all happy to share - thank you.

Shhh dont tell anyone but 5.3kgs.

Thank you all for your help. I have emailed Windwhistle, and Pickles is beautiful however I was refused Rex as he was 180 miles away from the RSPCA.

I am more than happy to travel with Susan, We can pack up and stop somewhere overnight if needed. I will do whatever is needed to have this right for her.

Thank you again - I really do appreciate it and am a little overawed how much help, support and guidance you are all happy to share - thank you.
Awh that's okay, Penelope is 5kg, she won't tell [emoji14] we like big buns here!

And I agree with Zoobec, I don't think size is too much of an issue, obviously nethie to Susan might not work, because of accommodation and diet (amounts) as well.. But Atticus is 3kg and I don't think him and Penelope would have any issues :)

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Awh that's okay, Penelope is 5kg, she won't tell [emoji14] we like big buns here!

And I agree with Zoobec, I don't think size is too much of an issue, obviously nethie to Susan might not work, because of accommodation and diet (amounts) as well.. But Atticus is 3kg and I don't think him and Penelope would have any issues :)

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Thank you, Susan insisted on sitting under Dilly so I worried that if she sat on another she might squash them.

Thank you, Susan insisted on sitting under Dilly so I worried that if she sat on another she might squash them.

:lol: I saw Fern using Frosty’s head as a step to get to higher hay whilst he was eating lower down on the hay rack the other day :shock::lol: so I suppose a very very big size difference might not be so great.

Susan is a very lucky bunny, you are doing so much to make sure everything is right for her :love: I hope she is doing better now? xx

I also just had a thought, I know that rescues often don’t have the time to keep their records online updated, so it might be worth asking rescues who don’t necessarily have any bun that looks suitable, because they may well have just the bun for you, or can look out for some bun suitable for you. The other scenario you can get for example when I adopted Fern she wasn’t on the website because she was only just going to be ready for adoption after spaying etc.

Just a few thoughts:

Regarding size, I think the character of the rabbit is an important contributory factor, so that a larger, plus a more dominant rabbit might be intimidating for a little bun during a bonding attempt. Tui is now 1+kg larger than Tethra, but they were bonded when she was half that size as she was only 3 months. It's never been a problem re aggression, but it is a slight problem with feeding in that Tui needs to make sure she's not putting on weight and Tethra could do with increasing weight a little. It just needs managing a little. Age is clearly not an issue for these two either. Tui is 2 and Tethra almost 9.

Also I would consider Pets at Home Adoption. They used to show available bunnies on their website, but I couldn't find them yesterday evening. Maybe they have a Facebook page?

Regarding Pickles, I think different RSPCA branches will have different policies and adoption models. As Pickles is not the same branch as Rex, it could be worth enquiring regarding distance to travel.

I also just had a thought, I know that rescues often don’t have the time to keep their records online updated, so it might be worth asking rescues who don’t necessarily have any bun that looks suitable, because they may well have just the bun for you, or can look out for some bun suitable for you. The other scenario you can get for example when I adopted Fern she wasn’t on the website because she was only just going to be ready for adoption after spaying etc.

This is a good point. Rescues, which are full will often have waiting lists and so a suitable bunny could be known to the rescue but not actually there.

Just a few thoughts:

Regarding size, I think the character of the rabbit is an important contributory factor, so that a larger, plus a more dominant rabbit might be intimidating for a little bun during a bonding attempt. Tui is now 1+kg larger than Tethra, but they were bonded when she was half that size as she was only 3 months. It's never been a problem re aggression, but it is a slight problem with feeding in that Tui needs to make sure she's not putting on weight and Tethra could do with increasing weight a little. It just needs managing a little. Age is clearly not an issue for these two either. Tui is 2 and Tethra almost 9.

Also I would consider Pets at Home Adoption. They used to show available bunnies on their website, but I couldn't find them yesterday evening. Maybe they have a Facebook page?

Regarding Pickles, I think different RSPCA branches will have different policies and adoption models. As Pickles is not the same branch as Rex, it could be worth enquiring regarding distance to travel.

I agree with this. Fern was quite a bit smaller and she was more nervous at first too, so she would have been less daunting for little Frosty.

You are absolutely right about different RSPCA branch policies. I have adopted from 2 previously (rspca Macclesfield and rspca Salford and Manchester) both of which I would recommend from my experience, where they neutered (and vaccinated) before adopting out, but a different branch I enquired at would not spay or neuter and required the new owner to do it after adoption.

Thank you Zoobec and Omi, I have a list of rescues I am waiting to hear back from. Funny when I was looking for Susan there were 30 ish NZealands in rescue - now none.

I really would like a larger rabbit in our house. My feelings are a bit mean but Susan is 4/5 years old and a large breed - her life expectancy is less than a smaller rabbit. It is my understanding that the smaller the rabbit the longer the life. I didnt want to get a small rabbit, that was younger than Susan and have this again. (not that you ever know what is round the corner).

Susan doesnt see or hear that well, she would be able to "find" a larger rabbit easier.

Susan is slowing down a little, ie she is not a chasy teenager, a small younger rabbit would run rings round her. I need one that is a little calmer with her. Dilly was her confidence and Susan wouldnt try anything unless Dillon did it first.

For OH and myself I want a rabbit that want interaction with us not just Susan, so the bunny we are looking for enjoys nose rubs and is a little confident with humans.
We also have 2 elderly rescue cats that are happy to be alongside larger rabbits - I want to be able to leave the rabbits out during the day, all day, I dont know if a small rabbit would be seen as something to chase? They never have before and would be supervised initially but it is a worry. We did once look after a couple of gerbils and although Notch (boy cat) was interested he never touched.

A bigger bunny does seem to make sense for your family. I do like a big uppy earred bunny myself - not that I've had one. I know huge bunnies can be friends with tiny ones but I think there are practical considerations that make similar-ish size preferable. I'm sure the perfect bun will be along soon enough

It does make a lot of sense to want to get a bigger bun for Susan. From my experience, smaller buns tend to be a bit more boisterous and it sounds like a calmer, more sedate bun would suit Susan better.

I hope you start hearing back from rescues soon.

Sent from my SM-T585 using Tapatalk

How is Susan doing now?xx

Really quiet, not eating as much and certainly not showing interest in toys etc. I saw at the rspca a bun tray full of hard plastic balls and the rabbit was having a ball (pardon the pun) with them - my replication of that just got a sour look :?

Back