• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Outdoor 1 Bunny ??

Anyone have only 1 bun? I have a rescued bunny who’s lived his entire life outside. We have had him just over a week and he has had free run of our living area and is in an indoor pen at night.
We also have an elderly dog and while the two seem to get along, my dog follows the bunny all day long and when gives up the bunny then follows the dog making a soft grunting mating type noise. He’s not scared of my dog at all. It’s driving me a little crazy as I don’t want to leave them alone as I don’t strictly trust my dog. Also bunny is not neutered and that’s why I think he’s so interested in the dog.
I don’t really want to desex bunny because he is around 10 years old, so quite elderly.
I’m thinking it might be better if he goes in an outside hutch with run again
My question is if you have one bunny and he’s an outdoors bun -how do you interact with bunny, how often, how do you keep him entertained?
I don’t want to get another rabbit as a friend as that would mean desexing, which is not really an option.
I also don’t have the room inside for a bunny room.

I would imagine if bunny has lived on his own for the last 10 years then he is accustomed to it and doesn't really know any different. It's good that you don't trust your dog 100% around the rabbit as you never know. I think if you give him plenty of hay and visit him a few times everyday talking nicely to him, perhaps with a treat, he should be fine. There is not much else you can do under the circumstances.

Hi! Personally, I would never keep a rabbit outside for many reasons (predators/extreme temperatures/lack of shelter or security/rabbits often feel very isolated being left alone outside without human interaction for most of the time). Not to mention your bunny is 10 years old which poses the added challenge of being more prone to becoming ill as well as too hot/cold easily, as older bunnies can find it harder to regulate their body temperature. Also, if your bunny develops arthritis which is common especially in older bunnies, it will be much easier to monitor it when inside due to the more consistent and presumably warmer temperature (which can help with arthritis) and the fact that you will likely be more observant of any changes in behaviour/diet as the bunny is in your living space. Also, even though you mentioned that your bunny had previously lived outside, almost all domesticated bunnies can become accustomed to living indoors quickly and easily (they have been bred to be DOMESTICATED rabbits who depend on us for survival after all - a point which I think is often forgotten). In your situation, I would propose that you ideally could free roam your bunny in a room where your dog does not have access to and only let the dog and bunny interact when closely supervised if you deem is safe. If free roaming in one room is not an option, then a large x pen with lots of stimulation such as tunnels and toys would also be a great option with the possibility of free roaming when you are home. But I agree with what you said that I wouldn’t trust the dog enough to leave it alone with the bunny as at the end of the day dogs are predators and rabbit are prey inevitably. Anyways, I hope my advice helps!

dogs and/or cats with bunnies gives me the horrors. imo accident waiting to happen.

Thank you everyone.
Well Bailey is free roaming inside still and freely goes into his cage when he’s had enough.
Dog and bunny are doing fine and I just need to seperate them now when bunny try’s to hump dog too much.

Anyone have only 1 bun? I have a rescued bunny who’s lived his entire life outside. We have had him just over a week and he has had free run of our living area and is in an indoor pen at night.
We also have an elderly dog and while the two seem to get along, my dog follows the bunny all day long and when gives up the bunny then follows the dog making a soft grunting mating type noise. He’s not scared of my dog at all. It’s driving me a little crazy as I don’t want to leave them alone as I don’t strictly trust my dog. Also bunny is not neutered and that’s why I think he’s so interested in the dog.
I don’t really want to desex bunny because he is around 10 years old, so quite elderly.
I’m thinking it might be better if he goes in an outside hutch with run again
My question is if you have one bunny and he’s an outdoors bun -how do you interact with bunny, how often, how do you keep him entertained?
I don’t want to get another rabbit as a friend as that would mean desexing, which is not really an option.
I also don’t have the room inside for a bunny room.

I would personally get the bunny neutered and seek out a female mate who is a similar age to him if you're going to keep him outside in the long run. Someone else correct me if I'm wrong, but male neutering is not invasive and they don't really seem affected by it in the way that female rabbits do. When my boy way neutered he was 6 years old I believe, so younger than your rabbit but still an older bun. When he came back from the vet it was like nothing had happened - very keen appetite and very happy.

In the winter it's much harder to spend a lot of time with your rabbits, not just because of the bad weather but because of the shorter days. I have three rabbits which live in a large shed with a massive run and they're very happy because they have the company of each other and lots of stimulation. They enjoy eating the grass all day, running around, playing chase with each other, hanging out in the shed to eat hay etc.

Obviously if your rabbit is currently indoors, you will have to wait until the weather warms up - late Spring/Early Summer to swap him to outdoor accomodation. He won't have a winter coat right now.

I would personally get the bunny neutered and seek out a female mate who is a similar age to him if you're going to keep him outside in the long run. Someone else correct me if I'm wrong, but male neutering is not invasive and they don't really seem affected by it in the way that female rabbits do. When my boy way neutered he was 6 years old I believe, so younger than your rabbit but still an older bun. When he came back from the vet it was like nothing had happened - very keen appetite and very happy.

In the winter it's much harder to spend a lot of time with your rabbits, not just because of the bad weather but because of the shorter days. I have three rabbits which live in a large shed with a massive run and they're very happy because they have the company of each other and lots of stimulation. They enjoy eating the grass all day, running around, playing chase with each other, hanging out in the shed to eat hay etc.

Obviously if your rabbit is currently indoors, you will have to wait until the weather warms up - late Spring/Early Summer to swap him to outdoor accomodation. He won't have a winter coat right now.

Just in response to this, whilst yes neutering a male is definitely less invasive than spaying a female, that does not reduce the risk of putting a 10 year old rabbit into surgery. In this case I do not believe that the problem is the surgery itself, which poses its own risks (which in most cases are outweighed by the benefits), however in this situation I believe that the most concerning risk factor is putting a 10 year old rabbit under anaesthesia. Rabbits generally do not do as well under anaesthesia as cats or dogs, and whilst yes it has considerably improved in recent years with research I still think that it may not be the right decision to put an elderly rabbit through such surgery if it is avoidable. Not to mention that you’d probably struggle to find a vet who is willing to do the operation given his age and the fact that it is not absolutely necessary. I agree with the owners concerns in this case, even though I am definitely for neutering and spaying pets 99% of the time. And as for the idea that the rabbit may get lonely outside, I agree, and do not support rabbits being kept outside. House rabbits are always the ideal in my opinion and I would strongly advise that the owner keeps him inside 24/7 in an x-pen/room as I mentioned above, especially given his age and potential health conditions which may arise/already exist.

Just in response to this, whilst yes neutering a male is definitely less invasive than spaying a female, that does not reduce the risk of putting a 10 year old rabbit into surgery. In this case I do not believe that the problem is the surgery itself, which poses its own risks (which in most cases are outweighed by the benefits), however in this situation I believe that the most concerning risk factor is putting a 10 year old rabbit under anaesthesia. Rabbits generally do not do as well under anaesthesia as cats or dogs, and whilst yes it has considerably improved in recent years with research I still think that it may not be the right decision to put an elderly rabbit through such surgery if it is avoidable. Not to mention that you’d probably struggle to find a vet who is willing to do the operation given his age and the fact that it is not absolutely necessary. I agree with the owners concerns in this case, even though I am definitely for neutering and spaying pets 99% of the time. And as for the idea that the rabbit may get lonely outside, I agree, and do not support rabbits being kept outside. House rabbits are always the ideal in my opinion and I would strongly advise that the owner keeps him inside 24/7 in an x-pen/room as I mentioned above, especially given his age and potential health conditions which may arise/already exist.

Thanks for your response about the neutering - like I said it's just my experience and I'm sure that a qualified vet would best advise on what to do given his age.

If he's a single bunny then I agree, he should be kept indoors so he has lots of stimulation and human company. I'm not sure why you're so against rabbits being outside in general, though. Lots of people on the forum keep their rabbits outdoors and they're happy and healthy. There are pros and cons to both indoor and outdoor living. All of the rabbits I've had under my care so far much prefer it outdoors. It's very personal to the rabbit IMO.

Just wondering could you do a chemical neutering. I had a foster dog who couldnt be neutered and they did it by injection ? Dont know if there is an equivalent for rabbits?

Thanks for your response about the neutering - like I said it's just my experience and I'm sure that a qualified vet would best advise on what to do given his age.

If he's a single bunny then I agree, he should be kept indoors so he has lots of stimulation and human company. I'm not sure why you're so against rabbits being outside in general, though. Lots of people on the forum keep their rabbits outdoors and they're happy and healthy. There are pros and cons to both indoor and outdoor living. All of the rabbits I've had under my care so far much prefer it outdoors. It's very personal to the rabbit IMO.

I agree (assuming they are in a secure frost-proof accommodation in the night)

I had an entire male rabbit outside on his own for 9.5 years. Looking back, I made the wrong decision but I didn't know enough about it when I got him.

I spent a lot of time free ranging him outside (supervised), but he'd quite often make it clear when he'd had enough of me and go back home. By the time I realised that most rabbits should have a companion, it was too late, he would have absolutely hated it. I had to have him put down due to a freak accident (which had nothing to do with him free ranging before anyone says!), but I'm certain he was happy, healthy and had a few more years of living outside alone left in him.

He had the most incredible fur which kept him cosy through the cold months, and he never snuggled in any of the bedding I gave him! He was truly an outdoor bun, and would have hated living inside. Obviously this varies between different rabbits, but I believe that some rabbits will do well outside alone. Although it's probably an unpopular opinion :lol: You never met my Sonic!!

I’m not here to start a debate but if you wanted to know I don’t agree with housing rabbits outdoors for many reasons. First, it reinforces the idea that rabbits are wild animals since wild rabbits do live outdoors, but I feel the point that is often vitally missed here is that the rabbits we own are DOMESTICATED rabbits which we have bred to be dependent on us and not equipped to cope with extreme weather conditions and other factors they face living outdoors like wild rabbits often can. From volunteering in a rescue, I can also vouch for the fact that outdoor rabbits are often forgotten about and live very lonely and isolated lives and generally not as long as indoor rabbits. This is often due to the fact that they can become depressed with the lack of environmental stimulation and human interaction in many cases; causing them stop eating, predators get to them, or they become ill and medical treatment is not sought quickly enough (for example in the case of GI stasis where a fast response is vital for survival) due to the decrease in the time you spend with them observing and recognising changes in behaviour; you mentioned this point before that it is often ‘difficult’ to spend time with your rabbits in winter outdoors and many people are not committed to sitting outside with their rabbits for hours on end. Not to mention that outdoor rabbits are often kept in hutches which are far too small and again reinforce the stereotype that rabbits are bred for meat, as this is where hutches originate from, as well as the fact that hutches and other outdoor enclosures are often very easy to escape (also something I’ve come across first hand). Another reason I don’t agree in housing rabbits outdoors is the fact that rabbits are exposed to and put at risk to countless predators which may taunt the rabbit (which can often be enough to put the rabbit into shock and cause death) as well as obviously killing the rabbit - for example I have heard of cases where foxes have entered outdoor enclosures and killed multiple rabbits at once - foxes are extremely smart and will often get through most outdoor rabbit enclosure materials. Also, the extreme weather conditions which outdoor rabbits are exposed to regardless of where you are in the world (very cold conditions can cause hypothermia which can cause death and very hot can cause heatstroke even with shelter in a lot of cases) is enough to cause early death. There are many sources which support my points (House Rabbit Society is great for this, as well as the YouTube channel Lennon The Bunny) and the reason I have formed the opinion is upon extensive research and first hand experience working in a shelter. Whilst I agree that there may be some instances and circumstances where a rabbit is more suitable being housed outside, I stand by my point that the majority of domestic rabbits will live longer, happier and healthier lives indoors.

I’m not here to start a debate but if you wanted to know I don’t agree with housing rabbits outdoors for many reasons. First, it reinforces the idea that rabbits are wild animals since wild rabbits do live outdoors, but I feel the point that is often vitally missed here is that the rabbits we own are DOMESTICATED rabbits which we have bred to be dependent on us and not equipped to cope with extreme weather conditions and other factors they face living outdoors like wild rabbits often can. From volunteering in a rescue, I can also vouch for the fact that outdoor rabbits are often forgotten about and live very lonely and isolated lives and generally not as long as indoor rabbits. This is often due to the fact that they can become depressed with the lack of environmental stimulation and human interaction in many cases; causing them stop eating, predators get to them, or they become ill and medical treatment is not sought quickly enough (for example in the case of GI stasis where a fast response is vital for survival) due to the decrease in the time you spend with them observing and recognising changes in behaviour; you mentioned this point before that it is often ‘difficult’ to spend time with your rabbits in winter outdoors and many people are not committed to sitting outside with their rabbits for hours on end. Not to mention that outdoor rabbits are often kept in hutches which are far too small and again reinforce the stereotype that rabbits are bred for meat, as this is where hutches originate from, as well as the fact that hutches and other outdoor enclosures are often very easy to escape (also something I’ve come across first hand). Another reason I don’t agree in housing rabbits outdoors is the fact that rabbits are exposed to and put at risk to countless predators which may taunt the rabbit (which can often be enough to put the rabbit into shock and cause death) as well as obviously killing the rabbit - for example I have heard of cases where foxes have entered outdoor enclosures and killed multiple rabbits at once - foxes are extremely smart and will often get through most outdoor rabbit enclosure materials. Also, the extreme weather conditions which outdoor rabbits are exposed to regardless of where you are in the world (very cold conditions can cause hypothermia which can cause death and very hot can cause heatstroke even with shelter in a lot of cases) is enough to cause early death. There are many sources which support my points (House Rabbit Society is great for this, as well as the YouTube channel Lennon The Bunny) and the reason I have formed the opinion is upon extensive research and first hand experience working in a shelter. Whilst I agree that there may be some instances and circumstances where a rabbit is more suitable being housed outside, I stand by my point that the majority of domestic rabbits will live longer, happier and healthier lives indoors.

We will have to agree to disagree. All of my rabbits so far have been much happier outdoors. Horses are also animals that have been domesticated for thousands of years, but are happy to live out in all weathers so long as they have the appropriate rugs to keep them warm. Like rabbits, they still grow thicker fur in the winter that prepares them for the colder seasons.

The happiest I've ever seen my rabbits is the one time it snowed and they were prancing around in it and digging. They literally played in the snow for hours and would probably have stayed out all night if I had let them. Rabbits can't exhibit all of their natural behaviours indoors because there aren't falling leaves, the smells of nature or grass roots to dig up. I think that rabbits can be very happy indoors too, but to make out that keeping rabbits outdoors is cruel is a really unfair blanket statement and kind of offensive to many members on RU who have amazing outdoor setups for their bunnies with all of the comforts of a 'bunny room'.

We will have to agree to disagree. All of my rabbits so far have been much happier outdoors. Horses are also animals that have been domesticated for thousands of years, but are happy to live out in all weathers so long as they have the appropriate rugs to keep them warm. Like rabbits, they still grow thicker fur in the winter that prepares them for the colder seasons.

The happiest I've ever seen my rabbits is the one time it snowed and they were prancing around in it and digging. They literally played in the snow for hours and would probably have stayed out all night if I had let them. Rabbits can't exhibit all of their natural behaviours indoors because there aren't falling leaves, the smells of nature or grass roots to dig up. I think that rabbits can be very happy indoors too, but to make out that keeping rabbits outdoors is cruel is a really unfair blanket statement and kind of offensive to many members on RU who have amazing outdoor setups for their bunnies with all of the comforts of a 'bunny room'.

I agree that not everyone is going to agree and ultimately you’re probably right that the majority of people on this platform house rabbits outdoors because that is unfortunately societally acceptable and what is expected (wrongly imo). But to compare horses to rabbits is a completely inaccurate comparison. As someone who also has some experience with horses, I can confirm that they are a completely different species species with entirely different needs. Yes they have some similarities in terms of diet etc., but horses are also about 80 times bigger than rabbits and this are able to regulate their temperatures differently to rabbits, not to mention the chance of a predator getting to a horse is far less likely than to a rabbit, as well as how they would deal with this including their shock response. Horses also can’t go into shock when they get wet and develop hypothermia in the same way rabbits can in the cold. There are many other vital differences between the two species which I could go on about but I won’t to save everyone’s time, but like I said to compare the two is very naive in my opinion considering their fundamental biological and social differences.

I’m not denying that rabbits can be happy outdoors but I stand by my point that most rabbits are happier indoors. Also, the idea that indoor rabbits are missing out on things and can’t exhibit natural behaviours indoors is not true. For a start, indoor rabbits can be lead trained to go outdoors, in a garden for example, or even freely go outside providing the area is secure and they are being supervised. Not to mention that you can ‘bring the outdoors in’ in terms of giving your bunnies fresh grass which mine get daily, as well as certain types of sticks from trees for them to nibble on which can be brought online for or from outside providing they are deemed safe. Moreover rabbit’s natural digging behaviours can be expressed through toys such as seagrass mats and cardboard boxes which are great for this. With all the rabbit products available nowadays is argue that indoor rabbits miss out on nothing significant enough to justify putting them outside, as I have demonstrated above.

Since you mentioned the fact that the happiest you saw your rabbits was in snow, I don’t doubt that. But my previous rabbit who lived indoors half of the time and outdoors half of the time also had the same experience in snow and she loved it. However, I have got to say that I see far more enjoyment and far more binkies from my current rabbits who live indoors (every morning usually when they see us) - they definitely seem to show a more consistent happiness than what I saw with my rabbit who was outdoors part time.

And finally, I never said that keeping rabbits outdoors was cruel, so I would rather not have my words twisted. I have in fact seen outdoor bunny set ups which look good and have enough enrichment to hopefully prevent boredom, but then the issue of human interaction and the promptness of medical care still remains I believe. However, that is not to say that keeping rabbits outdoors is cruel or abusive, as I am aware that it can work both ways if suitable accommodation and enrichment is not provided to indoors rabbits - it all depends on the individual situation. Although, I still stand by my point, as stated before, that most rabbits live longer, happier and healthier lives indoors in my opinion for the reasons I mentioned in my previous post.

I do not wish to continue this debate as it is unlikely that we will come to a middle ground. Therefore, I fully accept that we can agree to disagree on this topic.

In my opinion there are so many positives & negatives of each - its never as simple as outside or inside is better. There are just as many hazards, probably more, faced by house bunnies who also have to get used to food smells, domestic appliance noise, chemicals from cleaning & whatever their owners decide to spray themselves with to smell better. Its impossible to give inside bunnies the level of enrichment those with really good outside set ups get (beapigs for one). Outside provides appropriate stimulation to all senses. On the flipside I think health issues would be harder to spot outside, I know I'd miss Boo's early I need a dentist signs if I wasn't with her so much & it's be so easy to miss Rudeys symptoms if he weren't so heavily supervised. From his supervised garden time (esp when we rented a house with a huge garden) I know Joey would prefer to live outside - unfortunately for him he needs to stay indoors with his special needs wife.

I worry about outside bunnies getting cold though but that is just cos 2 of mine are such heat loving wusses

I don’t think these points would apply to virtually any RU member. I can’t think that any of our members on here would ever forget about their rabbits or let them live lonely or isolated lives, wether they are indoors or outdoors. Those members of RU who do keep their rabbits outside have sheds or large hutches with large aviary runs attached, which are like the indoors, but outside.

In my opinion there are so many positives & negatives of each - its never as simple as outside or inside is better. There are just as many hazards, probably more, faced by house bunnies who also have to get used to food smells, domestic appliance noise, chemicals from cleaning & whatever their owners decide to spray themselves with to smell better. Its impossible to give inside bunnies the level of enrichment those with really good outside set ups get (beapigs for one). Outside provides appropriate stimulation to all senses. On the flipside I think health issues would be harder to spot outside, I know I'd miss Boo's early I need a dentist signs if I wasn't with her so much & it's be so easy to miss Rudeys symptoms if he weren't so heavily supervised. From his supervised garden time (esp when we rented a house with a huge garden) I know Joey would prefer to live outside - unfortunately for him he needs to stay indoors with his special needs wife.

I worry about outside bunnies getting cold though but that is just cos 2 of mine are such heat loving wusses

I know not everyone is going to agree with inside or outside being better and I accept that. But just in response to the hazards comment, I have to say I disagree. A house environment can be much more controlled than outdoor setting which we have little control over in comparison. When rabbits enter a new environment, they are going to have to get acclimated to different things, in the case of house rabbits this may be food smells but I have never heard of any rabbit having a problem with this in my experience - it is just another factor of becoming used to a new environment. As for the other hazards you listed, I think it all comes down to the responsibility of the owner, like not using chemicals where possible and using pet safe alternatives, as well as not spraying perfumes etc near your rabbits. Like I said most of it is common sense. Most rabbits will also become accustomed to domestic appliance noise providing it is kept to a minimum and not in close proximity to the rabbit. Positive reinforcement training can also be used to teach your rabbit that such noise is not a threat to them to some extent, which has been greatly successful with one of my bunnies who was originally scared of the hoover but now is far more comfortable in its presence.

I further would argue that it is in fact possible to provide the same if not more healthy enrichment for house rabbits as I mentioned above. House rabbits still get fresh air and hear outside noises such as birds and the wind. Just because they don’t live outside doesn’t mean they are entirely shut off from the outside world.

I respect and agree with some of your points through, and recognise that certain rabbits may do better outside in certain circumstances, but I feel that in a lot of cases rabbits end up outside due to the lack of research and miseducation and it ultimately costs their life.

I agree with this, I have had bunnies in the past who hated being indoors, my quad were very unhappy inside and they were so much happier once they were back outside. I’ve also had bunnies who much prefer being indoors, and Frosty and Fern certainly love being inside!

I don’t think these points would apply to virtually any RU member. I can’t think that any of our members on here would ever forget about their rabbits or let them live lonely or isolated lives, wether they are indoors or outdoors. Those members of RU who do keep their rabbits outside have sheds or large hutches with large aviary runs attached, which are like the indoors, but outside.

I’m sure you are probably right for the most part. But unfortunately the number of people on this forum in relation to the number of people who own rabbits overall only account for a small percentage of owners considering rabbits are the 3rd most commonly owned and dumped pet in the UK.

Back