• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Are they not bonded?

Lou28

New Kit
I will try to keep this brief I’m really hoping someone might have some advice for me. Charlie and Buns first fight happened about four weeks after neutering. It was bad with clumps of fur ,they were separated over night, I spent the whole next day bringing them to sit with eachother until eventually fights stopped breaking out and the relationship was great again for six weeks ,They share a bedroom but have free reign when I’m at home , when I let them out of their room this morning they were investigating under my bed when a fight broke out. I’m really worried as I am going back to work full time soon and won’t be able to keep an eye on them. The thought of one of them going to rescue makes me feel ill as I have really fallen in love with both of them , but am also really frightened I might come home one day to find they have hurt eachother. Just to mention, it seems that Charlie goes up to bun to try and be friends, bun immediately thumps and runs away , which is when Charlie starts chasing him.

Last edited:
Yes they are both boys of around seven months. I’ll be honest and admit that I knew nothing about rabbits , my partner bought them home one day with a ( tiny ) hutch as he had rabbits as children . I started doing my research and trying to learn fast, which is why they are now livIng in spare bedroom, not horrible tiny hutch. Wish Someone would have told him that a male female pair was better. I really am trying my best to make them happy they have been neutered , vaccinated , have loads of space , good hay , expensive pellets , toys , cardboard boxes , digging box etc.

Last edited:
Yes you are doing everything very well indeed and they are very lucky bunnies. Some boys will get along together, some won't and as they are 7 months old they are becoming mature now and may both want to be dominant. It is not easy to say you should do this or that but you don't want them to be stressed out in fear of having a fight. How long ago were they neutered?

Thankyou for you reassurance, they were neutered ten weeks ago. I think the hormones have gone down as they have stopped trying to hump eachother. I geuss I will just have to keep a close eye, maybe put a pet camera in the room so I can check them when I’m at work during the day.

It might be that they are bonded enough to get on ok in their own territory, but when they are let out onto other territory it’s causing the issues. I would keep a close eye on them and leave them in their own room for a while without issues before letting them have free range time again. They are very lucky that you have taken the time to research and give them everything they need :love:

My bonded pair, who are actually male and female, have had a couple of big fights so I completely understand the anxiety of leaving them alone together once they've been rebonded.

I agree with Zoobec's advice. Given that it's still a fairly new bond post neuter it would probably be a good idea to just keep them in their room for the time being and allow more time for the bond to strengthen. Unfortunately opening up a lot of new space to them too quickly for some reason can cause issues when a bond is still fairly new.

When you feel they're ready to have more access to the rest of the house it might be worth introducing them slowly to the new space. So, you could start with just giving them access to the hallway and if all's well open up one new room to them at a time. Puppy panels are very useful if you need to block off certain areas.

Good luck, I hope they settle down soon!

Sent from my SM-T585 using Tapatalk

Back