• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Syrups vet trip today

loobers25

Warren Veteran
Didn't see usual vet and went to local one for vaccination as computers where down at my usual.

Was told off that syrups weighs 3.3kg. She's quite a big bun in size anyway and Is pellet free. She said we must be giving treats when the only treats she gets is dandie roots. She eats hay all day and night, and also has hay cookies, sticks, dried forage and fresh herbs.

Is it really that bad of a weight?

Sent from my GT-I9195 using Tapatalk

Last edited:
I would go on how she feels, does she feel like she is fat? I can’t imagine she would get overweight with that diet and the lovely set up they have, they have lots to do too :love:

Syrupness
6c62b124cc3d516642edc9321ea66545.jpg

all the more to love :love: Seriously though, in my official role as RU fat shamer, if a vet raises it, she probably is on the cuddly side. I agree you can't tell by looking though.

Pocket of pens or pocket of rulers? Rudey has a pocket of knives

How old is she Loobers? Does she have all those things every day?
She must be 5+ now. She was a stray so unfortunately I don't have an exact age. She has herbs and dried forage everyday. And has a pile of sticks and hay cookies she can access at any time of the day. And obviously unlimited hay. What you thinking Tonibun?

all the more to love :love: Seriously though, in my official role as RU fat shamer, if a vet raises it, she probably is on the cuddly side. I agree you can't tell by looking though.

Pocket of pens or pocket of rulers? Rudey has a pocket of knives
How dare you. I wouldn't expect anything less from you! I think she doesn't look over weight to me. Maybe it's because I've seen obese bunnies like Joey. I prefer uncle John he never critiques my bunny parenting

I would go on how she feels, does she feel like she is fat? I can’t imagine she would get overweight with that diet and the lovely set up they have, they have lots to do too :love:
I think she feels big boned as in broad and fluffy. She doesn't have the chubby rolls, jaffas and cankles like Joey

Would there be many calories in the hay cookies and sticks? You don't give her Alfalfa hay do you? Dwarf Lops tend to look like this as they get older though so maybe it's nothing to be worried about.

Would there be many calories in the hay cookies and sticks? You don't give her Alfalfa hay do you? Dwarf Lops tend to look like this as they get older though so maybe it's nothing to be worried about.
The sticks are willow, Hazel and apple twigs and the cookie Is made up of lots of different grasses. I really don't know how many calories that they would have. I think the biggest problem is that she doesn't move around a lot...They just eat hay, sleep and snuggle. They probably only use one quater of their bunny room

Last edited:
Lillian is presently about 3.6kg - our vets also feel she is overweight. She isn't going out much so her exercie regime isn't as great as we would like - but it has rained for so many weeks here and time outside is limited due to weather and our time at work. Henry would explore our house but Lillian doesn't really venture out of the living room. We have cut out pellets for her and she now only eats fresh greens, herbs, dried food and hay cookies/hay.

I've no idea what they put in them but just from personal observation I do think pellets must be a little fattening. I give mine slightly more pellets in the winter and rn Pepper is slightly on the chunky side.
Previous buns were a bit overweight for a while & the vet said reduce the amount of pellets & that reduced weight and especially reduced dewlap size.
I do prefer them to be very slightly overweight though as ime the weight can drop off quickly if they get ill so I like them to have a little in reserve.
I should get a measure for pellets though as I just tip them into a bowl & always end up giving them slightly more than intended.

Back