• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Bunny bum baths

Ruthyjones89

Mama Doe
Hi, sorry it’s been a while since I last posted.. but I’m hoping someone can please help?

Bailey was rushed in for emergency surgery on Tuesday to remove a bladder stone which had got lodged in his urethra. He was scheduled for surgery this week anyway but the stone had moved and got lodged in the mouth of the urethra from the bladder.

My poor baby had a cystoscopy and needed a catheter to help flush the stone back into the bladder. He ended up having a catheter fitted on wednesday, as he was passing a lot of blood clots and was struggling to urinate himself so he is very sore and swollen!

On Saturday we collected him and brought him home.. he’s still on a cocktail of Meds, but he is constantly dripping urine and I’m so worried. (The vets have said this is expected with such huge surgery)

We have been using a warm flannel to gently dab off the urine, but it’s just not cutting it and he’s having to be dried with the hair dryer on an hourly basis.

I’m unable to place him in shallow water as his wound is still very fresh and needs to be kept dry and clean at all costs.. the house is covered in puppy pads to help absorb the urine. He’s been complelty clipped down there so it’s dribbling on his bare skin and I can see little red patches coming now. The vets have told me not to use cream as they don’t want him licking down their and increasing a higher chance of infection.. any ideas or anyone got any advice what I can do to help him with bathing? And absorbing it quicker?

Thanks so much xx

Last edited:
Oh dear! Poor little bun and it must be so worrying for you. I have no useful advice, sorry, but hope he can return to normal very soon. Are you considering a different diet and also low Calcium water from Tescos. Pellets are quite high in Calcium also.

I don’t have any experience of this so I can’t advise but I’m sending lots of vibes xx

Oh dear! Poor little bun and it must be so worrying for you. I have no useful advice, sorry, but hope he can return to normal very soon. Are you considering a different diet and also low Calcium water from Tescos. Pellets are quite high in Calcium also.

Thanks so much!

Diet wise, he’s already on a very low calcium diet. He has 5 pellets daily which are Timothy hay based and don’t include any Alfafa. We need these to help keep weight on as were limited to what else we can give him. Herbs/veg wise he only has coriander, basil and parsnip. His kidneys have been tested a number or times and still remain good which is a relief but we have now changed his water which we’re hoping will help. He’s also back on potassium citrate daily! (We took him off for a period as he was having lots of uti’s from the acidic urine but now he’s back on it and we’ve just got to deal with the uti’s as and when)

Is the catheter still in situ ?

Hi jane, no sorry I probably should have mentioned that. It was taken out on Thursday evening as it was beginning to get blocked up. He’s passing clear wee now which is great, it’s just this constant dribbling I can’t cope with and super worried about. He’s back at the vets tomorrow for a check up but I’m just trying to see what I can do in the meantime. As if it looks like it’s getting worse, they’ll what to re-admit him when he’s only just started eating normally.. xx

Hi jane, no sorry I probably should have mentioned that. It was taken out on Thursday evening as it was beginning to get blocked up. He’s passing clear wee now which is great, it’s just this constant dribbling I can’t cope with and super worried about. He’s back at the vets tomorrow for a check up but I’m just trying to see what I can do in the meantime. As if it looks like it’s getting worse, they’ll what to re-admit him when he’s only just started eating normally.. xx

Well personally I would want to consider using a barrier cream to protect his skin. BUT as the Vet has said not to do so I would follow Professional advice. I think all you can do for now is continue as you are. You could try bathing with weak camomile tea rather than plain water as that may be more soothing to his skin. I would also try to minimise using a hairdryer and instead dab off the moisture with cotton wool. Using a hairdryer every hour may further irritate his skin.

Poor Bailey Bun, I hope he will feel a lot more comfortable soon xx

Aww poor Bailey, he's really been through the mill [emoji17]

Not sure if you've tried this already but in the past I've found cotton pads dipped in a bit of warm water useful if you just need to clean up a small area. I found it doesn't saturate their little bottoms as much as flannels do so hopefully he wouldn't need to be blow dryed as much.

Vet bed might also be helpful as it would wick away the urine so he's not sitting in it. Although I appreciate that's probably not the easiest thing to get hold of on a Sunday afternoon!

Good luck, I really hope he's feeling better soon xx

Sent from my SM-T585 using Tapatalk

Oh poor Bailey, sorry to hear about his problems, can't offer any more advice than that given already. Sending loads of healing vibes for your boy xx

Poor little bun xx

I’ve been using Hibiscrub & water solution to clean my bunny’s bum area when she was dribbling and also after her recent bladder flush. I use cotton wool to gently dab/wipe and then dry cotton wool balls to gently dry.

I hope Bailey feels better soon xx

Dilly is leaking urine too, my vet has him on propaine (will check correct spelling when home) it is not licenced for bunnies but it really is helping him. He has kidney failure so that is why he is leaking,

Thanks everyone for all your help and advice, really appreciated!

Jane - I know exactly what you mean and we we're thinking the same. Well we did already have some cream we'd been using for his sore hocks last year, so we actually used some of that last night and I must say it did help.. and isn't looking as red this morning.

We're finding he is starting to smell quite strong of urine now, even though we've changed to cotton wool, but we're back at the vets for his check up tonight so I'll see what else they recommend :)

Cuthbert&Dillon - i'm sorry to hear about Dillon and his kidney's, but thanks for the suggestion and I'll mention this tonight too. He's already on quite alot of meds but if it helps him in the meantime, I'm willing to try him on anything.

It's sounds like their going to do an ultrasound on him tonight to see how his bladder is looking as until the swelling starts to come down, i'm guessing he'll remain like this for a couple more days yet.. xx

Aww poor Bailey, he's really been through the mill [emoji17]

Not sure if you've tried this already but in the past I've found cotton pads dipped in a bit of warm water useful if you just need to clean up a small area. I found it doesn't saturate their little bottoms as much as flannels do so hopefully he wouldn't need to be blow dryed as much.

Vet bed might also be helpful as it would wick away the urine so he's not sitting in it. Although I appreciate that's probably not the easiest thing to get hold of on a Sunday afternoon!

Good luck, I really hope he's feeling better soon xx

Thanks Scrappy and everyone else :love:

I feel so sorry for him, he's my absolute world and it breaks my heart seeing him uncomfortable.

We do have some vetbed left over from when we had Harvey, but Bailey was digging and wouldn't stay on it, so I can only assume he didn't like the feel of it or maybe it was irritating his wound.

I think it's a case of giving him time I suppose, but i'm so worried about infection and can't help wondering if they've damaged something internally to why he's so bad.

Hope you and your buns are doing okay? xx

Hi Ruth,

I hope Bailey got on ok at the vet's this evening. I know exactly what you mean. It's so difficult to see them so poorly and uncomfortable. I hope the vet was able to put your mind at rest as to whether his discomfort is normal after the surgery and that it will settle down after a few days.

My buns are both well, thanks for asking. Fudgie was diagnosed with early stage chronic kidney disease back in September. She's doing well, however, and you wouldn't know it's lurking there. I often forget she has it! Although I know that at some point in the future it will become more of an issue.

Back