Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bunny bum baths

Default Bunny bum baths

Hi, sorry itís been a while since I last posted.. but Iím hoping someone can please help?

Bailey was rushed in for emergency surgery on Tuesday to remove a bladder stone which had got lodged in his urethra. He was scheduled for surgery this week anyway but the stone had moved and got lodged in the mouth of the urethra from the bladder.

My poor baby had a cystoscopy and needed a catheter to help flush the stone back into the bladder. He ended up having a catheter fitted on wednesday, as he was passing a lot of blood clots and was struggling to urinate himself so he is very sore and swollen!

On Saturday we collected him and brought him home.. heís still on a cocktail of Meds, but he is constantly dripping urine and Iím so worried. (The vets have said this is expected with such huge surgery)

We have been using a warm flannel to gently dab off the urine, but itís just not cutting it and heís having to be dried with the hair dryer on an hourly basis.

Iím unable to place him in shallow water as his wound is still very fresh and needs to be kept dry and clean at all costs.. the house is covered in puppy pads to help absorb the urine. Heís been complelty clipped down there so itís dribbling on his bare skin and I can see little red patches coming now. The vets have told me not to use cream as they donít want him licking down their and increasing a higher chance of infection.. any ideas or anyone got any advice what I can do to help him with bathing? And absorbing it quicker?

Thanks so much xx
    Last edited by Ruthyjones89; 19-01-2020 at 12:53 PM.
    Rest in peace my beautiful fur babies - Tango, Whiskey, Harvey & Honey **Forever in my heart**

Wise Old Thumper

Oh dear! Poor little bun and it must be so worrying for you. I have no useful advice, sorry, but hope he can return to normal very soon. Are you considering a different diet and also low Calcium water from Tescos. Pellets are quite high in Calcium also.

I don’t have any experience of this so I can’t advise but I’m sending lots of vibes xx

Binky free at the bridge Boots, you will never be forgotten xxxx

Quote Originally Posted by tonibun View Post
    Oh dear! Poor little bun and it must be so worrying for you. I have no useful advice, sorry, but hope he can return to normal very soon. Are you considering a different diet and also low Calcium water from Tescos. Pellets are quite high in Calcium also.
    Thanks so much!

Diet wise, he’s already on a very low calcium diet. He has 5 pellets daily which are Timothy hay based and don’t include any Alfafa. We need these to help keep weight on as were limited to what else we can give him. Herbs/veg wise he only has coriander, basil and parsnip. His kidneys have been tested a number or times and still remain good which is a relief but we have now changed his water which we’re hoping will help. He’s also back on potassium citrate daily! (We took him off for a period as he was having lots of uti’s from the acidic urine but now he’s back on it and we’ve just got to deal with the uti’s as and when)
    Rest in peace my beautiful fur babies - Tango, Whiskey, Harvey & Honey **Forever in my heart**

Quote Originally Posted by Zoobec View Post
    I don’t have any experience of this so I can’t advise but I’m sending lots of vibes xx
    Thank you so much, I can honestly say this week has been the worst week ever and we just want him better more than anything xx

Is the catheter still in situ ?

Reference links for various Rabbit health problems
    http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/sh...ealth-Problems

The Rabbit Welfare Association and Fund (RWAF) ~ The UK's Biggest Organisation for Rabbit Lovers https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/

Animal Rescue and Care (ARC) SW London
    https://animalrescueandcare.org.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by Jack's-Jane View Post
    Is the catheter still in situ ?
    Hi jane, no sorry I probably should have mentioned that. It was taken out on Thursday evening as it was beginning to get blocked up. He’s passing clear wee now which is great, it’s just this constant dribbling I can’t cope with and super worried about. He’s back at the vets tomorrow for a check up but I’m just trying to see what I can do in the meantime. As if it looks like it’s getting worse, they’ll what to re-admit him when he’s only just started eating normally.. xx

Quote Originally Posted by Ruthyjones89 View Post
    Hi jane, no sorry I probably should have mentioned that. It was taken out on Thursday evening as it was beginning to get blocked up. He’s passing clear wee now which is great, it’s just this constant dribbling I can’t cope with and super worried about. He’s back at the vets tomorrow for a check up but I’m just trying to see what I can do in the meantime. As if it looks like it’s getting worse, they’ll what to re-admit him when he’s only just started eating normally.. xx
    Well personally I would want to consider using a barrier cream to protect his skin. BUT as the Vet has said not to do so I would follow Professional advice. I think all you can do for now is continue as you are. You could try bathing with weak camomile tea rather than plain water as that may be more soothing to his skin. I would also try to minimise using a hairdryer and instead dab off the moisture with cotton wool. Using a hairdryer every hour may further irritate his skin.

Poor Bailey Bun, I hope he will feel a lot more comfortable soon xx

Reference links for various Rabbit health problems
    http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/sh...ealth-Problems

The Rabbit Welfare Association and Fund (RWAF) ~ The UK's Biggest Organisation for Rabbit Lovers https://rabbitwelfare.co.uk/

Animal Rescue and Care (ARC) SW London
    https://animalrescueandcare.org.uk/

Mama Doe Scrappy's Little Helper's Avatar

Aww poor Bailey, he's really been through the mill

Not sure if you've tried this already but in the past I've found cotton pads dipped in a bit of warm water useful if you just need to clean up a small area. I found it doesn't saturate their little bottoms as much as flannels do so hopefully he wouldn't need to be blow dryed as much.

Vet bed might also be helpful as it would wick away the urine so he's not sitting in it. Although I appreciate that's probably not the easiest thing to get hold of on a Sunday afternoon!

Good luck, I really hope he's feeling better soon xx

Sent from my SM-T585 using Tapatalk
    [IMG][/IMG]

Bunnies: Snoopy and Chocolate Fudge Cake

At the Bridge: Scrappy My bunny mentor and the beautiful girl who introduced me to the wonderful world of rabbits

Peanut Butter My cheeky boy who came so far in learning to love and trust humans. If only you could have stayed a bit longer

Oh poor Bailey, sorry to hear about his problems, can't offer any more advice than that given already. Sending loads of healing vibes for your boy xx
    IF YOU NEED HELP WITH ANYTHING PLEASE SEND ME A PM OR ANY OF THE OTHER FORUM BUDDIES