• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Strange rabbit poos?

Hi, I just recently joined and was wondering if someone could help :).

Does anyone know what it means for a rabbit's poos to be this shape?* I can't tell if I'm just being paranoid or if something is really wrong.

These poos are from a Dutch rabbit named Twitch who is 9 years old (almost 10) and is not neutered.* He weighs just about 2kg and is on the bony side - the vet has told me that this is due to old age and to just feed him a lot of pellets.* I was thinking that perhaps the abnormal poos is due to too many pellets, however he's been eating this quantity of pellets for at least a year or two.* (However, recently I have been giving him slightly less to see if that helps, but no change).

He gets vegetables once a day and unlimited hay, and he seems to eat a decent amount of hay.* There has been no change in his behaviour, he seems just as lively as usual and is eating the same, just these bizarre poos...

Any advice would be greatly appreciated :)
d3ce71d6ca407fb611b998aaece895a8.jpg
15b8f9daaf7103493161a6e9f99f189f.jpg
b806b349fcecea352508ce1f9714838d.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I am by no means an experienced carer of rabbits and you would know your bun far better than me but they look ok to me.
assuming you have confidence in your vet, personally I wouldn't be worried - you have had vet's advice, he is eating plenty of hay & doesn't seem to be showing any abnormal behaviour (??). if it were me I would be keeping a close eye on things (eating, drinking, pooing, behaviour) but accept the vet's opinion for now.
hopefully someone else will come along with their opinion soon.

Thank you for the advice. I've just realised that I may not have worded what I originally said correctly. The vet's comment was about his weight - I haven't been to ask about the poos. Sorry for any confusion!

Personally I wouldn't worry if all else is well. my bunnies have been known to churn out an oval poop or two. The oval one Twitch made is nice & golden, the others a tad small. I've noticed bigger poop & more oval ones with an increase in hay consumption - this happened recently when they got excited about new hays

Hi, I just recently joined and was wondering if someone could help :).

Does anyone know what it means for a rabbit's poos to be this shape?* I can't tell if I'm just being paranoid or if something is really wrong.

These poos are from a Dutch rabbit named Twitch who is 9 years old (almost 10) and is not neutered.* He weighs just about 2kg and is on the bony side - the vet has told me that this is due to old age and to just feed him a lot of pellets.* I was thinking that perhaps the abnormal poos is due to too many pellets, however he's been eating this quantity of pellets for at least a year or two.* (However, recently I have been giving him slightly less to see if that helps, but no change).

He gets vegetables once a day and unlimited hay, and he seems to eat a decent amount of hay.* There has been no change in his behaviour, he seems just as lively as usual and is eating the same, just these bizarre poos...

Any advice would be greatly appreciated :)
d3ce71d6ca407fb611b998aaece895a8.jpg
15b8f9daaf7103493161a6e9f99f189f.jpg
b806b349fcecea352508ce1f9714838d.jpg

Rabbits who have a lot of pellets do have smaller poo and often irregular shaped poo as they will eat less hay. In normal circumstances it would be advised to decrease the pellets to encourage more hay eating, but older Rabbits may need more pellets to maintain their weight.

What pellets do you feed him ?

You could give him some additional things to increase his overall fibre intake

Fibafirst https://supremepetfoods.com/fiba-first-2/

Protexin Pro-Fibre Pellets https://www.protexin.com/products/pro-fibre-for-rabbits/32

Muscle wastage is what can make older Rabbits appear to look 'boney'. Their body shape changes. It would be a good idea to weigh him once or twice a week to make sure that he is not losing weight :)

Look fine to me. If they were wet, dark and squishy I'd be worried but they look like perfect golden nuggets to me. Should make for a happy bunny parent [emoji1]

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Thank you everyone for the helpful advice. I suppose I was overreacting a little. Still, better to check just in case :)

Back