Thread: Scab on back

Default Scab on back

My rabbit has a round scab on his back. Not sure if it's a fight mark from his brother or something else. New to looking after rabbits.

Hi and welcome. I’m sorry to read that your rabbit has sustained a small injury and determining the cause might not be straight forward.
    My female rabbit has over the course of the last year/18 months, received two similar type wounds as you describe.
    I’ve witnessed no degree of fighting with her husbun(s) and she spends a lot of time in our garden (supervised).
    Our initial thought was perhaps a bird attack - magpie or crow seemed the most obvious. But we have no evidence. We have noticed that during mounting behaviour, her husbun will climb on her back so it could be a small bite from that.
    Now then, onto your rabbits injury. First thing to observe is that regardless of the scab, does the wound look clean? Does the skin near look healthy and pink? Is there any evidence of discharge near the injury?
    I’m only asking because first up you need to rule out any infection that might be there. That’s going to be worse to deal with than the injury.
    If all looks well, then it should heal. The scab is there to protect the site.
    Was there evidence of fur missing near the injury? As if there had been some pulling?
    Check your rabbit over thoroughly for any other injuries to rule out further problems.
    Does your rabbit go into the garden? Are there things there that could cause an injury as rabbits like to crawl and investigate. Things like broken bits of concrete or plastic that they could have caught themselves on?
    Make sure hour rabbit continues to eat, poop and see and if that changes, get them to a vet ASAP.
    Check the other rabbit also for injuries. If they have been fighting then both could have received injuries.
    I hope this helps.
    Craig.
    IF YOU NEED HELP WITH ANYTHING PLEASE SEND ME A PM OR ANY OF THE OTHER FORUM BUDDIES

Wise Old Thumper

Has Bunny had an injection/vaccination recently as this can cause a scab to appear?

Are they both neutered? If they aren’t, the two boys will fight. Can you post a photo of the scab?

Binky free at the bridge Boots, you will never be forgotten xxxx