• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Cranky Bunny?

Clairem128

New Kit
So I'm wondering if my bunny is cranky with me. Mind you I've only had him a week but he's been very content and playful. I started a routine where in the morning he comes down stairs with me and because I work from home, he works/plays with me sleeps with me eats with me the whole work day. Today I had a bunch of meetings so he stayed up in his bunny room for most of the day. When I finally finished up (which was most the day) he seemed very cranky with me when I went to go see him. Making a scene to play and throw his toys extra hard, coming over and nudging my hand very hard and even being a bit mouthy and bitey putting his paws up and pawing at me. As I would move about his room he'd follow me everywhere. Do you think he was just upset because I upset his routine? His adoption papers say he is neutured but he's only 6-7months old.

It sounds like he's been bored on his own. Have you thought about getting another (neutered) bunny friend for him?

Bunnies get very attached to their "friend" whether another rabbit or human and you leaving him unusually has upset him, so as Shimmer says he really needs a little girlfriend, then he won't miss his human friend so much. Rabbits form very strong bonds, more so than some humans!

Hi! I agree with what some others have said about the bunny may be bored/missing you when you’re not there. And yes, a bunny friend may be a good option, but it also may not depending on your circumstances and the bunny involved. Bonding is a long and tiring process often which requires a lot of time, research and dedication. Not to mention the financial aspect of whether you can afford to house another bunnies (potentially doubling food costs as well as the potential for medical bills). Don’t get me wrong, I am not against having two bunnies in any way (I actually have a bonded pair myself). But I just believe that no one should be forced to get another bunny because of pressure from others if they simply do not have the time/money/space which may result in an overall lower quality of care for each rabbit. Some rabbits may never get on with other rabbits and single rabbits can be just as happy in my opinion; it all depends on the individual. Also, if you do choose to get another bunny please ensure that your male bunny has been neutered for at least 4-6 weeks before even introducing him to other bunnies in order to ensure hormone have died down. I would also strongly recommend getting a rescue bunny as opposed to one from a breeder as you will have more of an idea of the adult rabbits’ temperament than a baby, as well as the obvious of not adding to the problem of the overbreeding of rabbits. Again, I’m not saying you shouldn’t get another bunny, just please consider all aspects in doing so - you know your bunny best. Hope it helps!

He seems much happier today now that we are back to our routine. He came downstairs with me this morning and we shared a banana. I got some of his more stimulating toys out for him to play with. It might sound funny but we have a cat who has become very attached to him and he to her already. They sleep together and loaf and touch noses so they seem to be bonding haha. He is neutured. But he is in his teenager phase and has a lot of energy. And does bunny 500s all the the time. Like I said I've only had him a week but he's already very curious and sweet, I just want to form a close bond with him. Though in hindsight it took 2 of our cats a year to fully develop their bonded personalities to us so I just need to be patient.

I am pleased your rabbit is back to normal today. :thumb:

+1
ime bunnies can have the odd 'strange' day. as long as he's healthy & not withdrawn I wouldn't worry about the odd day of different behaviour.
imo bunnies do need another bunny though but as mismatchbunnies says, sound thought does need to go into this as although to their great advantage they can be reluctant at first to accept a new friend.

Back