• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Put to sleep or not

BattleKat

Wise Old Thumper
Hey guys, could do with a few opinions before I go in to my appointment tomorrow.

Lola is ten. She has spondylosis along her whole spine which we've been managing well, most of her pain seems to be in her hip type area. She also has dental issues requiring dentals every 6 weeks ish which she deals really well with.

Monday night she was her usual bouncy self.
Yesterday morning she wasn't eating. I gave her the usual meds and hoped she'd perk up by the next morning (which she usually does).
This morning she wasn't perfect but was pretty chipper and eating a little so I gave her all the meds again and expected her to be fine when I came up for lunch.
On lunch she was in a very odd pose so I picked her up to feel her tummy. When I put her down she was sort of swaying from side to side. She let me feed her critical care with no attempt to move which is unusual. Later she hooped from one room to another but was a bit stiff/wobbly.
After work she had moved back to the bedroom and seemed really depressed. Uninterested in food and did not want to move.
Since then she's really perked up and started eating quite a bit but I can tell moving is still uncomfortable/ difficult for her.

Recently her back has been too bad to get on the bed but I noticed on lunch there were some poos on it so it's possible she's hurt her back jumping off the bed.
I am really unsure if this is likely a temporary pain from the jump and I should give it a few days or if her spondylosis has just reached a point that its too much for her, or if she hurt herself jumping down but with her condition she's unlikely to recover from it.

She last had a dental about a week back so her teeth shouldn't be a problem

Last edited:
I love her so much :cry:

IMG-20200110-140442-01-01-01.jpg

You know her best but I think, as she'd been doing so well up to now, I'd give her a few more days if your vet thinks it appropriate. I'd change the PTS app to a consult & take it from there. Loads of Lola vibes & for you xx

I'm really sorry you're in such a difficult position. I agree with J&B that I wouldn't make a definitive decision to pts until you've spoken with your vet first. It may be that she has jarred herself as you suspect and she'll be ok again in a day or two. It may also be that she needs a slight adjustment with her medication to treat her existing condition.

Lots of hugs for you. It's so difficult because you don't want her to suffer but at the same time you don't want to pts too early if she's not at that stage yet.

Sent from my SM-T585 using Tapatalk

I agree with what has been said.

Sorry you are in this situation:cry: sending lots of hugs and vibes xx

She ate a lot across the evening and overnight and her movement is much improved (pretty normal this morning) but she's still a little off her food.

I'm going to see if my usual vet is in tomorrow because the guy today has never seen her before and I'd rather see the one who's been dealing with her since it all started.
I'll ask if the one from today can give me a ring so I can ask about the likelihood of it being the spondylosis alone and then have reassess because I could still take her in early evening.

Wish I didn't have to go to work today.

Pleased to hear that there is a little improvement. Good luck with vets, really hope they can help xx

She ate a lot across the evening and overnight and her movement is much improved (pretty normal this morning) but she's still a little off her food.

I'm going to see if my usual vet is in tomorrow because the guy today has never seen her before and I'd rather see the one who's been dealing with her since it all started.
I'll ask if the one from today can give me a ring so I can ask about the likelihood of it being the spondylosis alone and then have reassess because I could still take her in early evening.

Wish I didn't have to go to work today.

I’m glad she has improved a bit, I think this is a good idea. Topping up the vibes and hugs xx

Booked in to see our usual vet tomorrow as she seems to be doing much better today. She's still not herself though so I'm trying not to get my hopes up too much.

The vet says it sounds likely that Lola hurt herself jumping on and off the bed. Since she's been gradually improving we should give it a few days before making any decisions.
She's already on the maximum dose of metacam but we've got her back on tramadol for at least a week.

Thanks everyone for your input and support.

The vet says it sounds likely that Lola hurt herself jumping on and off the bed. Since she's been gradually improving we should give it a few days before making any decisions.
She's already on the maximum dose of metacam but we've got her back on tramadol for at least a week.

Thanks everyone for your input and support.

I hope that the additional analgesia will help. I have found that gentle massage of the muscles around the arthritic areas can be beneficial, as can applying a source of heat therapy. Endeavour, my arthritic Bunny, actually chooses to sit under a radiator when his back is especially sore.

Back