• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Rabbit getting dirty underneath from urine :(

elaine84

Warren Scout
One of my rabbits has osteoarthritis and is on Metacam for it. She's started to get urine stains underneath, I know you can't bath rabbits but I have washed her underneath and dried her thoroughly before but it keeps happening and I don't want to keep washing her. How else can I keep her clean? She is indoors, has vet bed and does sometimes use the litter tray (it's a low 'potting tray' one) but sometimes wees on the tiled floor and sits in it. She has double dose Metacam on particularly stiff days. I feel I'm doing all I can but don't know what else to do, it's really getting me down. Is there something I can use to "dry wash" her with?

I'm wondering if you could use some sort of floor covering over the tiles to wick away the majority of her wee. I've an incontinent boy bun who lives with an arthritic girl bun. My girl is awkward getting about on wood, lino or tiles so I have a variety of old bedding (quilt covers, blankets, fleeces) down. My boy will typically wee on route to the litter tray(sometimes makes it); quite often I'll move him on from a wet patch but as I'm not there 24/7 to do that, I'm assuming not much is left to absorb on to his fur which is never wet & doesn't smell of wee. I have to admit I do get through a lot of bunny bedding washing but its better than them being uncomfortable. Just a thought in case it might help

I can't think of any dry wash that would be too chemically or too harsh (eg bicarb), too risky I think

Thanks they are on bath mats but she goes in the area without a mat and wees there 😖 I’ll look at covering that area too.

I tend to use puppy pads in this sort of situation, You can also put a towel or fleece on top of the puppy pads and wash / change them as needed.

I have used towels, leftover cotton quilt batting-some types can be washed without quilting first, and/or puppy pads (sometimes under towels). One bunny had his own load of wash. Bath mats are good choices too.

At the moment I am bathing Dillon every other day, he is placed on a bathmat in about 3 inches of warm water - allowed to wander about a little then lifted out and dried. No soaps or chemicals of any kind.

Back