• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Sub Q fluids before blood/urine testing or not??

bunny momma

Wise Old Thumper
I wonder if anyone knows if giving sub Q fluids can impact any blood or urine tests.
I have posted to a separate thread about my lionhead Madelyn. She has been fussy eating, especially hay; was not drinking much, and had small poos. Meds and sub Q fluids have helped.
She has a vet appointment in the morning (12 hours from now). I wanted to take a urine sample with me (if I can get one in the morning), so it can be checked for crystals, bacteria, microscopic blood.
I am deciding if I should or should not give her sub Q fluids before bedtime tonight. If I give her fluids, vet may not be able to see if she is dehydrating without fluids or not. I also wonder if giving fluids will dilute her urine and impact any urine test.

As noted in my other post, my Raven is having another dental on Tuesday. In October he had a dental and blood work and blood work was well within normal values, including his kidney values. At that time he was getting sub Q fluids for over a week before his blood work. He has been having stasis and issues for a few weeks so I am having another dental done on Tuesday to determine if his teeth are a factor this time. Could his October blood work be inaccurate if he was getting fluids for days before his testing even if he was processing the fluids quickly?

Last edited:
I think that if SQ fluids have been given for several days prior to blood testing then there may be a chance of the blood results being unreliable. I think it would depend on why the SQs were being given in the first place and if the Rabbit has any pre-existing illnesses such as compromised renal function. Over infusion can cause problems of it's own. So how much is given is also relevant.

All that said, as you know I am totally unqualified so it is definitely a question you'd need to ask a Vet. Can you contact an out-of-hours service for telephone advice ? I hope all goes well for Raven's Dental and that Madelyn's Vet check may give some clues as to what may be wrong. xx

I think that if SQ fluids have been given for several days prior to blood testing then there may be a chance of the blood results being unreliable. I think it would depend on why the SQs were being given in the first place and if the Rabbit has any pre-existing illnesses such as compromised renal function. Over infusion can cause problems of it's own. So how much is given is also relevant.

All that said, as you know I am totally unqualified so it is definitely a question you'd need to ask a Vet. Can you contact an out-of-hours service for telephone advice ? I hope all goes well for Raven's Dental and that Madelyn's Vet check may give some clues as to what may be wrong. xx

I appreciate your sharing your thoughts. Raven was receiving fluids because he was not drinking much and his poo was very hard and sparse
. I consider normal drinking habits, amount drinking, speed of absorption, and output when giving fluids. IMO best if the bunny drinks on their own. He had no prior diagnosis of renal failure.

When I cleaned Madelyn's litterbox five hours ago it contained nice poos. Now she is passing a mix that includes several very small hard poos . The mystery continues.

Back