Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Heard something interesting about metaclop last night

Mama Doe Scrappy's Little Helper's Avatar

Default Heard something interesting about metaclop last night

I was at the emergency vet around midnight last night with Fudgie. She wasn't eating and was showing signs of abdominal discomfort. She seems to be doing a lot better today: running around as normal, has pooped and been eating hay so hopefully we've managed to nip a stasis episode in the bud.

Anyway, there's a new vet doing the night shift. We were discussing gut meds and I mentioned that I've pretty much always been given metaclop to administer. Interestingly he said that he and quite a few other vets didn't think metaclop worked that well and they prefer to prescribe zantac and/or cisapride instead.

First time I've met this vet so not sure how rabbit savvy he is. He did do a thorough examination and was straight onto the importance of pain relief, which is something that always makes me feel more confident about a vet treating bunnies.

I just wondered out of interest whether anyone else's vet has expressed similar reservations about metaclop?

Sent from my SM-T585 using Tapatalk
    [IMG][/IMG]

Bunnies: Snoopy and Chocolate Fudge Cake

At the Bridge: Scrappy My bunny mentor and the beautiful girl who introduced me to the wonderful world of rabbits

Peanut Butter My cheeky boy who came so far in learning to love and trust humans. If only you could have stayed a bit longer

I’m glad she is better today. Mine prescribed both metaclopromide and ranitidine to work in conjunction with each other if I remember rightly.

Binky free at the bridge Boots, you will never be forgotten xxxx

Wise Old Thumper

I'm glad that Fudgie is feeling better today. My understanding is that the different drugs work on different parts of the rabbit's stomach, which is why they're often given together. I agree it's reassuring when a vet accepts that a rabbit needs pain relief.

I'm pleased Fudgiepops is back to normal - you are so on it with your swift actions which must help.

I trust my vets & (not but!) I've noticed they prescribe & do things differently to a lot of bunny savvy vets. I think mine prescribe domperidone &.....off to find bills . Never had metaclop from them

Thanks Zoobec, I am a lot happier with how she is this morning.

Yes, mine are usually given the metaclop and ranitidine combo, sometimes metaclop on its own. I think our conversation last night made me wonder whether there had been new research or anecdotal evidence on which gut meds were the most effective for rabbits and if it's starting to filter down through practicing vets and then onto owners.

[IMG][/IMG]

At the Bridge: Scrappy My bunny mentor and the beautiful girl who introduced me to the wonderful world of rabbits

Peanut Butter My cheeky boy who came so far in learning to love and trust humans. If only you could have stayed a bit longer

Metoclop' only works on the upper GI tract ( and may not work at all on baby Bunnies). I have always found Ranitidine (Zantac) to be much more beneficial in most cases of gut stasis. It's a shame that it has currently been withdrawn. But at least there is still the option of Cisapride .

See pages 3/4 on here

http://anyflip.com/dvpt/hzvv

Also, if Buprenorphine (Vetergesic/Buprecare) is given as an analgesic at the same time as Metoclop' the sedating effect of the Buprenorphine can be MUCH greater. If this is not explained to the client it can cause a huge amount of stress as Bunny can become very 'flat' and unresponsive.

''Realise deeply that the present moment is all you have. Make the 'now' the primary focus of your life'' ~ Eckhart Tolle

Thanks very much Omi and J&B.

Yes, my understanding was that metaclop is supposed to work on the upper gut and the ranitidine on the lower gut. I can't remember if cisapride just works on the lower gut or all of it. I did have that conversation with another vet ages ago but for the life of me I can't remember exactly how she said it worked!

[IMG][/IMG]

Zantac & Domperidone - just checked

So glad she's feeling better, quick treatment always helps ime

Mine always does cisapride and emeprid together.. Also had Ranitidine before the issues with getting that one.

So at one point Clementine was on all 3 together

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Years ago my vet told me that vets are questioning the effectiveness of metaclopromide. I asked him if the studies were done with injectable vs oral versions of the drug because my own experience was that the oral was not as effective as the injectable. He still will give me a prescription for it and also prescribes cisapride which can be used together.
    My vet said that the key items for stasis treatment are hydration, pain relief, and getting the bunny to eat or syringe feeding.

I always tell the bunnies it was tested on a human (me) for their safety because I had it after my own surgeries.