• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Heard something interesting about metaclop last night

I was at the emergency vet around midnight last night with Fudgie. She wasn't eating and was showing signs of abdominal discomfort. She seems to be doing a lot better today: running around as normal, has pooped and been eating hay so hopefully we've managed to nip a stasis episode in the bud.

Anyway, there's a new vet doing the night shift. We were discussing gut meds and I mentioned that I've pretty much always been given metaclop to administer. Interestingly he said that he and quite a few other vets didn't think metaclop worked that well and they prefer to prescribe zantac and/or cisapride instead.

First time I've met this vet so not sure how rabbit savvy he is. He did do a thorough examination and was straight onto the importance of pain relief, which is something that always makes me feel more confident about a vet treating bunnies.

I just wondered out of interest whether anyone else's vet has expressed similar reservations about metaclop?

Sent from my SM-T585 using Tapatalk

I’m glad she is better today. Mine prescribed both metaclopromide and ranitidine to work in conjunction with each other if I remember rightly.

I'm glad that Fudgie is feeling better today. My understanding is that the different drugs work on different parts of the rabbit's stomach, which is why they're often given together. I agree it's reassuring when a vet accepts that a rabbit needs pain relief.

I'm pleased Fudgiepops is back to normal - you are so on it with your swift actions which must help.

I trust my vets & (not but!) I've noticed they prescribe & do things differently to a lot of bunny savvy vets. I think mine prescribe domperidone &.....off to find bills . Never had metaclop from them

Thanks Zoobec, I am a lot happier with how she is this morning. [emoji3]

Yes, mine are usually given the metaclop and ranitidine combo, sometimes metaclop on its own. I think our conversation last night made me wonder whether there had been new research or anecdotal evidence on which gut meds were the most effective for rabbits and if it's starting to filter down through practicing vets and then onto owners.

Metoclop' only works on the upper GI tract ( and may not work at all on baby Bunnies). I have always found Ranitidine (Zantac) to be much more beneficial in most cases of gut stasis. It's a shame that it has currently been withdrawn. But at least there is still the option of Cisapride .

See pages 3/4 on here

http://anyflip.com/dvpt/hzvv

Also, if Buprenorphine (Vetergesic/Buprecare) is given as an analgesic at the same time as Metoclop' the sedating effect of the Buprenorphine can be MUCH greater. If this is not explained to the client it can cause a huge amount of stress as Bunny can become very 'flat' and unresponsive.

Thanks very much Omi and J&B.

Yes, my understanding was that metaclop is supposed to work on the upper gut and the ranitidine on the lower gut. I can't remember if cisapride just works on the lower gut or all of it. I did have that conversation with another vet ages ago but for the life of me I can't remember exactly how she said it worked!

So glad she's feeling better, quick treatment always helps ime :D

Mine always does cisapride and emeprid together.. Also had Ranitidine before the issues with getting that one.

So at one point Clementine was on all 3 together [emoji38]

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Years ago my vet told me that vets are questioning the effectiveness of metaclopromide. I asked him if the studies were done with injectable vs oral versions of the drug because my own experience was that the oral was not as effective as the injectable. He still will give me a prescription for it and also prescribes cisapride which can be used together.
My vet said that the key items for stasis treatment are hydration, pain relief, and getting the bunny to eat or syringe feeding.

I always tell the bunnies it was tested on a human (me) for their safety because I had it after my own surgeries.

Metoclop' only works on the upper GI tract ( and may not work at all on baby Bunnies). I have always found Ranitidine (Zantac) to be much more beneficial in most cases of gut stasis. It's a shame that it has currently been withdrawn. But at least there is still the option of Cisapride .

See pages 3/4 on here

http://anyflip.com/dvpt/hzvv

Also, if Buprenorphine (Vetergesic/Buprecare) is given as an analgesic at the same time as Metoclop' the sedating effect of the Buprenorphine can be MUCH greater. If this is not explained to the client it can cause a huge amount of stress as Bunny can become very 'flat' and unresponsive.

Thank your once again for sharing important information. I will need to ask the vet on Tuesday how long to wait after Raven's dental before I can give him Metoclop'. His dental is for the morning and I am picking him up in the later afternoon, so it may not be an issue. In the past he did not always need pain relief, yet good to know if he has it this time or in the future.

I had a discussion with my vet about a year ago about cisapride and while he knew about it he said it was harder to get hold off - something about licences? Does this still apply or would a vet buy it through normal suppliers? I know cisapride has been off and on the market.

Back