• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Syringe feeding tips please!

Meganb

New Kit
Hi,

One of our rabbits had a very scary trip to the emergency out of hours vets this week when he stopped eating and was diagnosed with gastrointestinal statis. The vets were amazing and discharged him the next day as he was eating voluntarily again. They've sent him home with 3 different types of liquid medicine that he needs 3 times a day for 5 days. He has had metacam previously after he was neutered and seemed to like it as it would eat it straight from the syringe, however I think the past 24 hours ordeal of him having feeding tubes up his nose/ constant syringes in his mouth has put him off syringes for life. Feeding him his meds by syringe takes over an hour each time and massively stresses him out - which is what we're trying to avoid. He will happily eat his medicine if its mixed up in a bit of banana, which is what I've resorted to but I know rabbits shouldn't have too much banana and I dont want to upset his tummy again. Has anyone had this experience before and found anything that works? Would be grateful for any tips! Thank you

I’ve given meds mixed in with a little vegetable/fruit baby food or purée. Frosty’s favourite is the Aldi mamia carrot apple and parsnip pouch baby food, I think it’s a copy of Ella’s kitchen!

Baby food is a great idea thank you will try that! And have never heard of meds on toast so will see how he feels about that! Thanks for the suggestions :)

Shreddies are good. The malted ones have a little sugar content but the husky type ones are 100% wheat & very popular for meds here.

Back