Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Using a dog crate to bond?

Wise Old Thumper

They seem very relaxed in that photo - do they eat the hay together or some pellets?

Quote Originally Posted by tonibun View Post
    They seem very relaxed in that photo - do they eat the hay together or some pellets?
    They ate some readigrass together. My girl is being quite territorial and will bite my boy if he tries to come to what she has decided is her side of the pen. Had to put in an extra water bowl as she wouldn't let him drink either. She pulled some fur from his nose and now he has a little bald patch. He now seems quite frightened of her, should I abandon the bonding for today and keep doing sessions do you think? Or persevere? He seems happy to let her be in charge but I don't think she realises she's won the dominance battle and will bite/chase him every now and again

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Persevering for now and it slow progress I think.

Wise Old Thumper

Is the space neutral to the female and is the male the rabbit who had stasis for a month?

Is the space neutral to the female and is the male the rabbit who had stasis for a month?
    yes space is neutral for both and yes it was my boy with stasis. Fully recovered now after a dental but they've both been unwell with infections, she just handled it alot better. Feel like it's very up and down so far today. My girl will attack my boy (chasing him/biting/fur pulling) and then be fine for hours and lie/eat next to him and ask to be groomed. He's pretty much ignoring her now, he's stopped grooming her & following her around the pen which he was doing at first. He never retaliates if she tries to bite him but I've been stopping that as soon as I see it incase it leads to a big fight. In general he doesn't seem very stressed, he's been lying down & eating hay all day etc. Seems a bit upset whenever she has a go at him but that has only happened about 3 times in 6 hours. Can't decide whether to leave them together over night. I'll be in the same room but worried I won't wake up quick enough!

Frosty used to chase and fur pull his brother Snowflake during bonding but eventually they worked it out. I kept them together in a pen in my bedroom (bonded 4 the boys and 2 bonded sisters).

Here is bonding thread http://forums.rabbitrehome.org.uk/sh...=Bonding+begun

Looking OK so far, good luck and best wishes for it continuing in the right direction
    The geeky one...

Often available for bunny runs: PM for details.

Wise Old Thumper

Do I see another rabbit in the photo? Could he be disturbing the 2 you are bonding?

Do I see another rabbit in the photo? Could he be disturbing the 2 you are bonding?
    No, there's only 2. Think that's my slipper haha. I separated them again over night as Mary started chasing Fred right as I was about to go to sleep but I'll put them back in the bonding pen today. Sure they'll get there eventually, I did see some progress as the day went on

Your bonding sounds like itís going fairly well in my opinion, especially considering how little time theyíve been together. The only thing Iíd say is remember to never end a bonding session on a bad note. For example, if one bunny bites the other, donít immediately separate them as them the bunny who bit the other one could see separating them from the other as a reward and it may reinforce it to bite again. Always end a bonding session on a good note (eg: putting the bunnies next to each other and stroking them or giving them both a treat as this helps them associate the other bunny with good things). Also, if a serious fight ever does break out, consider a small amount of stress bonding (eg: short car journey) as this encourages the bunnies to find comfort in one another and can reduce fighting by finding common ground. Hope it helps!