• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Hutch and run

Alicia

Mama Doe
Where are the best places to get hutches and runs now? Jelly currently lives in a shed but it’s not working anymore

I was talking to Laura at Burrowed Hearts the other day and it's hard: lots of decent places have shut and some are so far behind with orders. I don't have any answers but it's worth reading reviews to see if they're behind with orders AND still taking them, which would be worrying.

Where are the best places to get hutches and runs now? Jelly currently lives in a shed but it’s not working anymore
Why doesn't the shed work anymore? Just thinking you could add a run to the shed you've already got, as having a shed is way better than a hutch :D

I can't remember the place I got my runs from off hand but I'm very happy with them, can find out for you :)

I can't really recommend the guy who built my hutch.. Its a great hutch.. But I've had a few issues with the roof which he's always taken a long time to fix unfortunately. Which isn't great imo.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

I think there’s something wrong with the shed that has caused my rabbits to become ill and pass away. I’m still trying to figure it out (with the help of a vet) but either way I’m not comfortable with that shed anymore and I can’t have another shed right now

I think there’s something wrong with the shed that has caused my rabbits to become ill and pass away. I’m still trying to figure it out (with the help of a vet) but either way I’m not comfortable with that shed anymore and I can’t have another shed right now

Oh gosh :( sorry

You thinking something the woods coated in?

Can Jelly live indoors temporarily? It's just most of the decent hutches will need to be made and won't be super quick.. Most ready made ones don't seem that suitable to me.

Pets at home sell a double 6ft hutch I think, although quality isn't great supposedly, depends how much you want to spend really too, I think my hutch was around £500, but it is a solid piece of wooden garden furniture rather than a flimsy hutch.

I would never recommend keeping rabbits in a hutch due to many different factors (extreme confinement/lack of shelter and warmth/exposure to predators/harsh weather conditions and/often leads to feelings of isolations and unintentional neglect, as well as many other reasons). Is there any way you would be able to provide the rabbits with an indoor set up instead? I would be happy to advise on what materials and answer any questions about this that you may have.

However, if a hutch is the only option then I would recommend Manor Pet Housing who make ‘hutches’ (more like sheds; they are very spacious and seem good quality). Although, I must warn you that they are very expensive (like any decent ‘hutch’ should be), another reason I would always recommend housing your bunnies indoors, but of course it is your decision. Hope you find what you’re looking for!

Chartwell do hutch/run combinations. They are more expensive than Pets at Home and claim to be well-made. You would need a cover for any hutch you buy.

I just don’t know what to do. The shed she has now is amazing but I’m convinced it’s something to do with the shed. It is such a big shed that replacing it isn’t really an option right now, a hutch seemed like the best idea because it’s something that’s brand new so will be fine. I’m too scared to get anymore rabbits now but I’m also really worried about Jelly being lonely. The other option is rehoming her but I really don’t want to do that, but is it fair on her to keep her. I don’t know :(

I just don’t know what to do. The shed she has now is amazing but I’m convinced it’s something to do with the shed. It is such a big shed that replacing it isn’t really an option right now, a hutch seemed like the best idea because it’s something that’s brand new so will be fine. I’m too scared to get anymore rabbits now but I’m also really worried about Jelly being lonely. The other option is rehoming her but I really don’t want to do that, but is it fair on her to keep her. I don’t know :(

It's such a tough situation :( what are you thinking is wrong with the shed? Is there anyway it could be rectified?

How long has Jelly lived in it? Has Jelly had any problems? Just wondering if there's something you can do to make the shed "safe" again.

Jelly has lived in the shed since June, and there doesn’t seem to be any issues with her at all. I just don’t know, she’s going back to the vet on Wednesday but she was seen about 6 weeks ago and the vet was happy with her.

Jelly has lived in the shed since June, and there doesn’t seem to be any issues with her at all. I just don’t know, she’s going back to the vet on Wednesday but she was seen about 6 weeks ago and the vet was happy with her.

How long did the rabbits live in the shed without problems? Whilst I can't be certain, I would be wary of blaming the shed without any evidence? Also Jelly has lived there for 6 months now without problems. Such a hard decision to make. Hutches are certainly not so easy for owners and obviously not so good for rabbits.

I can eco all the comments about hutches not being ideal, we struggled for a good few years and got to the point where it just wasn’t working anymore. The buns had room but it still felt cramped and it was uncomfortable getting in and out to sort them out, plus when the weathers bad everything got wet (including us & them)

We used to have the 6ft chartwell hutches with the runs attached from Home and roost. The hutches are good quality but the runs are not so good, the woods quite thin and I think they are badly designed (especially the 6ft version as it has a support beam running down the middle that you have to step over constantly when inside it) - absolute pain in the bum when your short like me and it’s about 2ft high :lol:

Here’s our old set up:

And here’s our new custom designed 16x8ft walk in run made by manor pet housing :)

It took a while to come (as expected) and cost a small fortune but it’s amazing quality and has changed both ours and the bunnies lives forever!

It’s got full polycarbonate panels on all of the meshed parts that can be removed as needed in the warmer weather.

We still have the 6ft chartwell hutches inside - excuse the colour they need painting :oops:

You can see them better at night with the lights on :D

I can eco all the comments about hutches not being ideal, we struggled for a good few years and got to the point where it just wasn’t working anymore. The buns had room but it still felt cramped and it was uncomfortable getting in and out to sort them out, plus when the weathers bad everything got wet (including us & them)

We used to have the 6ft chartwell hutches with the runs attached from Home and roost. The hutches are good quality but the runs are not so good, the woods quite thin and I think they are badly designed (especially the 6ft version as it has a support beam running down the middle that you have to step over constantly when inside it) - absolute pain in the bum when your short like me and it’s about 2ft high :lol:

Here’s our old set up:

And here’s our new custom designed 16x8ft walk in run made by manor pet housing :)

It took a while to come (as expected) and cost a small fortune but it’s amazing quality and has changed both ours and the bunnies lives forever!

It’s got full polycarbonate panels on all of the meshed parts that can be removed as needed in the warmer weather.

We still have the 6ft chartwell hutches inside - excuse the colour they need painting :oops:

You can see them better at night with the lights on :D

that looks amazing.

I would echo all the previous comments re: hutches. imo a shed is so much better. I can't imagine what might be wrong with your shed, Alicia.

Back