• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Henry at vets again - Henry has sadly gone- U/D 6am thread page 20

Craig can you get your hands on dried willow branches/leaves? My bunnies all had sluggish guts and some of their favorite fiber was willow. I used to buy it from a website in the US that carried them and my bunnies would demolish a 7 inch diameter 'wreath' in about 15 minutes. Did wonders for their output.

https://store.binkybunny.com/willow-wreaths-with-foliage-p42.aspx

This site's forum has been down for a year but I think their store is still open. Not certain these would ship to the UK but perhaps with this info you can find something like this in your region? Galen's Garden perhaps, if they still exist?

I am once again, eternilly grateful for your advice MimzMum - and your extremely useful resource for herbal/natural remedies. I'm afraid my knowledge of rabbit friendly on line suppliers of dried forage is extremely limited, and, thanks to you, I have placed an order just now for a small selection of dried forage, leaves and stuff. It's not a huge order but I would like to see how my bunnies take it. I am hoping that the dried leaves selection and small mix selection will work and that Henry (and hopefully Lillian) will find them tasty. So thank you so much for your help and I will let you know how the forage goes. I am so grateful to everyone for your helpful and kind advice.
Craig xx

I'm a massive fan of tree leaves/bark for rabbits tummies, so I would second MinzMum's suggestion of Willow. My OH has been slowly pruning our Weeping Willow and the bunnies have been enjoying stripping the bark off the branches. FibaFirst has a higher fibre content than ordinary pellets, so if they miss their pellets, maybe try a few of them.

Do they eat much hay? Lots of hay would be really beneficial.

They don't really eat much hay - but I'm going to absolutely fill their nighttime bedding 'chamber' with hay tonight and see what happens.
Thank you Omi.

Sorry to hear this Craig :(

Just a thought, If he's not into the fibreplex there's the protexin pellets

https://www.vetuk.co.uk/dog-supplem...72/protexin-pro-fibre-for-rabbits-800g-p-1178

Idk if it's worth a try as he likes pellets? But they may do a similar job to the fibreplex?

I'm going to get some for Atticus who suffers with chronic gut issues, so I've not personally tried them yet.

Atticus also will eat just about anything (cardboard, paper, plastic) if given the chance. He has megacolon, his cecum is sluggish and doesn't seem to work properly.

Sending lots of vibes for Henry x

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Thank you Graciee
You are all fabulous caring helpful people and I have just purchased some of these pellets. Anything that could be beneficial and helpful to the aid of Henry (and Lillian) is worth every penny so thank you for the recomendation.
Craig x

Thank you Graciee
You are all fabulous caring helpful people and I have just purchased some of these pellets. Anything that could be beneficial and helpful to the aid of Henry (and Lillian) is worth every penny so thank you for the recomendation.
Craig x

I think they helped Rudey, he isn't hugely keen so I add some to his recovery mix he gets spoon fed.

I've recently (yesterday & today) got Rudey to eat hay for the first time in many months . Maybe your buns are as fussy as Rudey but there is a hay out there they'll enjoy. I must have tried a dozen previously (all scoffed by J, B & M but rejected by R). Why don't I send a sample of the hay I have from timothyhay.co.uk & hay&straw - worth a shot?

I hope you can get them to eat more hay, I think it would really help. The key I have found is finding hay that they really love. Frosty and Fern love the Timothy hay from Timothy hay.co.uk and the sweet green hay from nature’s own. They also love the dried sweet green herb mixes from nature’s own too. There’s hardly any hay waste anymore and they love eating it. I’ve cut out pellets and give fibafirst sticks instead.

Just another thought and one which is free :) Have a good look round your garden to see if you have any rabbit friendly trees. If so, you could cut a small branch off and give it to the bunnies to nibble the bark off. It would take their minds off pellets and also be good for their tummies.

Just another thought and one which is free :) Have a good look round your garden to see if you have any rabbit friendly trees. If so, you could cut a small branch off and give it to the bunnies to nibble the bark off. It would take their minds off pellets and also be good for their tummies.

:thumb:

Or a neighbour, overhanging/semi-nuisance branches in public spaces etc. :) Matt's just going to get some apple from the canal towpath :thumb:

Or a neighbour, overhanging/semi-nuisance branches in public spaces etc. :) Matt's just going to get some apple from the canal towpath :thumb:

Yes, anywhere you know hasn’t definitely been sprayed is a good idea :thumb: you can also get apple sticks from Fluffers on here who raises funds for a rabbit rescue.

Thank you all so much for taking the time to post all these helpful ideas. There’s not much scavenging foliage round here- we live 20 yards from the busiest ring round round Ipswich and 50 yards from the main freight line (diesel) and all we have is a pear tree. But will keep eyes open to see what I can find.
Quick update- Henry still very poorly in my opinion. He’s not moved this morning from his hunched up position in living room. He’s had some celery stick and some tops and a small bit of cabbage. We’ve got critical care into him and he had quite a bit last night. Tummy gurgling but he presents as depressed.
I went to the vet on my own 1st thing and had a one to one with vet and vet nurse and discussed my concerns re treating for uti when it may be cecum issue and they seemed receptive to this. I’m concerned re stasis and asked about metaclopromide and the vet off the record said we could use Lillian’s metaclopromide. Trouble is we’ve got none left. Vet (rightly) not wish to prescribe without assessing so I am taking Henry back to vet this afternoon for further assessment. I know this seems soon after the visit on Thursday and I’m probably not giving any fibre /critical care stuff time to work. But I am extremely worried. I can’t stay awake 24/7 to monitor Henry and I’m desperately trying to make him better but I’m failing badly. So as much as it may seem like I am being excessive and paranoid, Henry just isn’t right and I must do everything I can regardless of cost, to make him better.
Will update later after vets trip.

Thank you all so much for taking the time to post all these helpful ideas. There’s not much scavenging foliage round here- we live 20 yards from the busiest ring round round Ipswich and 50 yards from the main freight line (diesel) and all we have is a pear tree. But will keep eyes open to see what I can find.
Quick update- Henry still very poorly in my opinion. He’s not moved this morning from his hunched up position in living room. He’s had some celery stick and some tops and a small bit of cabbage. We’ve got critical care into him and he had quite a bit last night. Tummy gurgling but he presents as depressed.
I went to the vet on my own 1st thing and had a one to one with vet and vet nurse and discussed my concerns re treating for uti when it may be cecum issue and they seemed receptive to this. I’m concerned re stasis and asked about metaclopromide and the vet off the record said we could use Lillian’s metaclopromide. Trouble is we’ve got none left. Vet (rightly) not wish to prescribe without assessing so I am taking Henry back to vet this afternoon for further assessment. I know this seems soon after the visit on Thursday and I’m probably not giving any fibre /critical care stuff time to work. But I am extremely worried. I can’t stay awake 24/7 to monitor Henry and I’m desperately trying to make him better but I’m failing badly. So as much as it may seem like I am being excessive and paranoid, Henry just isn’t right and I must do everything I can regardless of cost, to make him better.

Based on what you've said about Henry, I would also take him back today. Vibes for him and I hope the vet can help.

I'd be doing exactly the same thing if I was in your position, I don't think you're being excessive at all.

Sorry if you've said, what medication is he actually on rn? And is there output currently?

Hunched to me sounds like he is in pain.

Sending lots of vibes, you're doing a great job Craig x

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

I'm really sorry to read that Henry still isn't right [emoji17] I also agree that you're right to take him back to the vet to be reassessed as he doesn't seem to be showing signs of improving.

I wonder if it's worth asking your vet whether they should start doing more extensive diagnostics? CT scans, blood tests, urine test. I know that probably seems a bit full on, but my general view is that the earlier you do the extensive investigations, the quicker you get to the root of the problem and can get it dealt with. I also think it saves money and stress in the long run as you're not then going backwards and forwards to the vets trying different things that may or may not work.

Good luck with the appointment this afternoon.

Sent from my SM-T585 using Tapatalk

I agree, I would be taking him in as a matter of urgency based on his description. Sending lots of vibes xx

Back