• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Dental every 3 months and now watery eyes

Sarah298

Young Bun
Hi all a lot has happened since I last posted.

Betty, the mum of Jessica had to be PTS just before Christmas because of neurological problems. I took her to the vets expecting to pick up some medicine but they noticed her behaviour was odd and along with other symptoms/ signs she was showing they said that was the best thing to do. I was absolutely distraught.

That has left Jessica, the daughter of Betty. Jess has had about 4 dentals now I think and the vet has said they need to be done every 3 months, in that space of time she develops quite bad spurs. Her last was the end of Dec and she’s booked in for her next in March. During her 3rd dental they removed a tooth as it had a bad infection and I was told the roots are getting lower into her jaw and might end up growing through?

Quickly after her most recent dental in Dec, she’s developed weepy eye? Ive got eye drops to use twice a day for 7-14 days and if that doesn’t help then I have to take her back to get her tear ducts flushed. The vet did say this sort of thing is common with dental rabbits even though I can’t remember her having this issue before.

How often do the flushes need to happen? Is it painful for her and will it be something that’s going to be ongoing like the dentals? I’m worried about all the stress it’s putting on her, she’ll be 4 in May - not exactly old.

I feel like I’ve failed her and am pretty upset with it all. She doesn’t really eat hay no matter how much I try and the different variety’s I buy. She started eating fiberfirst sticks (?) but has recently gone off them again but I’m going to persevere.

Last edited:
I’m so sorry you lost Betty :cry: none of this is your fault.

Often you can get samples of different hay, mine love the Timothy hay from Timothy hay.co.uk and also the sweet green hay from nature’s own. They eat far more of that than any other hay, which has helped, my Frosty was having dentals but hasn’t needed one for over a year now.

I don’t know about eye flushing as I’ve not had experience of it.

Sending lots of vibes and hugs xx

Hi all a lot has happened since I last posted.

Betty, the mum of Jessica had to be PTS just before Christmas because of neurological problems. I took her to the vets expecting to pick up some medicine but they noticed her behaviour was odd and along with other symptoms/ signs she was showing they said that was the best thing to do. I was absolutely distraught.

That has left Jessica, the daughter of Betty. Jess has had about 4 dentals now I think and the vet has said they need to be done every 3 months, in that space of time she develops quite bad spurs. Her last was the end of Dec and she’s booked in for her next in March. During her 3rd dental they removed a tooth as it had a bad infection and I was told the roots are getting lower into her jaw and might end up growing through?

Quickly after her most recent dental in Dec, she’s developed weepy eye? Ive got eye drops to use twice a day for 7-14 days and if that doesn’t help then I have to take her back to get her tear ducts flushed. The vet did say this sort of thing is common with dental rabbits even though I can’t remember her having this issue before.

How often do the flushes need to happen? Is it painful for her and will it be something that’s going to be ongoing like the dentals? I’m worried about all the stress it’s putting on her, she’ll be 4 in May - not exactly old.

I feel like I’ve failed her and am pretty upset with it all. She doesn’t really eat hay no matter how much I try and the different variety’s I buy. She started eating fiberfirst sticks (?) but has recently gone off them again but I’m going to persevere.

I am assuming that skull radiographs were taken to enable the Vet to assess the situation regarding the tooth roots. Unfortunately with Dental Disease tooth root elongation can cause several problems, including blocked tear ducts- the tooth roots press on to the nasolacrimal ducts (tear ducts) and block them. This leads to 'running eyes' and often to recurrent tear duct infections. The problem is chronic-ie it cannot be cured, but can be managed by treating symptomatically. Elongated tooth roots can also predispose the Rabbit to Dental abscesses, so regular monitoring by a Rabbit savvy Vet is needed. Pain relief will eventually be essential as the condition progresses as it will be painful. This then leads to inappetence and secondary gut stasis.

These links would be useful to read

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Dental_diseases/Differential/Rabbit_dentistry.pdf

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00dis/Miscellaneous/AcquiredMolarAbnRabbits.htm

http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Dental_diseases/Differential/Rabbit_dentistry.pdf

Rabbits with advanced Dental Disease often cannot eat hay, the jaw action required to chew hay is rotational and consequently more painful than the 'up and down' jaw action mostly used when chomping on a pelleted feed. Getting her to eat fibafirst is certainly a good idea.

Thanks for your replies.

Jacks Jane - yes scans were taken on the second dental. She had an abscess under a tooth that was removed in that one and the vet said her roots weren’t going through her jaw but were close. Just worried about the stress it’s putting on her on am I doing all that I can etc. Will have a read of those links after work later thank you.

Back