• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.

Mesh under rabbit run?

Bojangles

Young Bun
I’ve just built my bunnies a new 6x6 run and one of them keep digging round the sides! I want to make sure they can still eat the grass as they already have attached runs to their houses on paving slabs. What size galvanised mesh could I put on the base of the run or is there any cheaper alternative ideas?

If you are wanting to mesh under the run you would need to put it under the turf so the rabbits weren’t directly on the mesh, as their feet could get caught in it and it could make their hocks sore. I would use weldmesh 16 guage with 1cmx1cm holes.

… or possibly peg a 6" strip of chicken wire on the ground around the inside boundary of the run & see if that stops the digging?
I have noticed mine sometimes try & dig their way under the fence to next door if they are able to dig right by the fence but if they can't get right up to the fence to dig they don't try.

Is it not possible to lay something without turfing up the grass? I'm about to add a large run and I have fears they'll dig out so I'm trying to find a way to stop them. Obviously I don't want to damage their feet but I thought chicken wire was a safe option to lay on top of grass?

If you don't want to dig up the turf to mesh underneath, you could lay mesh on top of the grass and build up a layer of soil / compost / sand over it. If you brush it in well, the grass will grow through a thin layer (up to 1cm?), which should be enough not to snag the wire on lawnmowers or bunny toe nails. You can always build up the layer again later as the grass grown through.

I’ve always found chicken mesh rusts quite quickly even when it’s supposed to be galvanised. Weldmesh always lasts much longer in my experience.

I’ve always found chicken mesh rusts quite quickly even when it’s supposed to be galvanised. Weldmesh always lasts much longer in my experience.

Agree. Chicken wire doesn't last long above ground. For anti-digging mesh under the soil, you can use a bigger hole size but thicker wire gauge weldmesh than you would use for the sides of a run. I have about 2" mesh for this as they can't realistically escape by digging down through a hole that size, in my experience.

If you don't want to dig up the turf to mesh underneath, you could lay mesh on top of the grass and build up a layer of soil / compost / sand over it. If you brush it in well, the grass will grow through a thin layer (up to 1cm?), which should be enough not to snag the wire on lawnmowers or bunny toe nails. You can always build up the layer again later as the grass grown through.

Thank you. If I got the Weldmesh and did all this now, do you think it would be ok for the spring/summer? We won't be getting the run sorted for at least a month so would it make sense to start laying the foundations for the mesh etc now?

Back