• Forum/Server Upgrade If you are reading this you have made it to the upgraded forum. Posts made on the old forum after 26th October 2023 have not been transfered. Everything else should be here. If you find any issues please let us know.
  • Please Note - Medical Advice

Please keep in mind that posts on this forum are from members of the public sharing personal opinions. It is not a replacement for qualified medical advice from a veterinarian. Many illnesses share similar symptoms but require different treatments. A medical exam is necessary for an accurate diagnosis, without which appropriate treatment cannot be given.

You should always consult your vet before following any suggestions for medication or treatment you have read about. The wrong treatment could make your rabbit worse or mean your vet is unable to give the correct treatment because of drug interactions. Even non prescription drugs can do harm if given inappropriately.

We are very grateful to members who take time to answer other members questions, but please do be clear in your replies that you are sharing personal experience and not giving instructions on what must be done.

Urgent Medical Advice: If you need, or think you might need, urgent medical advice you should contact a vet. If it is out of working hours phone your vet's normal number and there should be an answer phone message with instructions on what to do.

Madelyn update 2/5/20-Not eat/poo stressed

That's really odd, I hope your vet can figure it out, Clementine had a few months of going into stasis on and off frequently, stopped when she stopped moulting.. So my Vet thought it was that. One episode lasted like over a month.. Was insane [emoji21] so it could be something similar... Its so hard, I wish buns could tell you what's up sometimes [emoji38]

Poor Raven :( I've yet to have a dental bun, so I don't know much about it tbh, it does sound like an ongoing fight though :(

Thanks :) Atticus is okay, he needs to gain weight still, and he's still not back to how he was before, it's a bit messy all the time.. Clementine needs to go back to the vet, she suffers with bladder sludge, and she's dripping again, so I've gotta take her for an xray again [emoji21] my other two, touch wood, seem okay.. Seriously don't want to jinx it [emoji38]

I really hope you can get to the bottom of Madelyn and Ravens problems, sending lots of vibes for you all, it's tough having sick bunnies xxx

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Hi Gracie,
I know what you mean by not wanting to jinx yourself. Sometimes I feel like I am on a roller coaster (which I have not ridden since I was a teen). As soon as I think they are improving and will not need to see the vet they get worse and if I beg the staff for an urgent vet appointment they decide to have a good day.

Madelyn may very well have fur issues like Clementine. That was my first thought because I saw a strand of poos connected by fiber/fur right before she got fussy. Last time she had similar symptoms, fur was one possible culprit. She is a fuzzy lionhead and some of her fur is quite long. She does not shed much, and I groom her often (which she loves) yet even a little of her long fur goes a long way. I have not seen any more fur in her poo, though it could still be elsewhere in her GI system. My biggest concern is she is not drinking enough, even when I stopped sub Q fluids for a day and a half. It makes me wonder if she has a bladder issue that is not obvious.
Before I left for a few hours today, I gave her fluids, pain meds, and motility meds. When I got home from picking up supplies/greens (people food too) she came running to me and was jumping over her litterbox in circles when she wanted some pellets. It made me smile. She still is fussy about her hay.
Today I scheduled a vet appointment for Madelyn on Monday. I will try to get a fresh Madelyn urine sample Monday morning so I can have vet check for crystals/blood/etc.

Raven is coming to me in the morning looking for a treat which is a positive. In 2019 he had 3 dentals. Unlike some bunnies, he takes several days to a week after his dental to recover even though Raven has dentals done before points cause sores.

Atticus's difficulty in gaining weight reminds me of my late Dash. Dash would eat more than a bunny three times his size and he never filled out like his brother. Following his bouts of stasis he was even thinner and it took months before he got back to being is normally slender self. As with Dash, Atticus must be a challenge because you cannot feed him foods that normally help bunnies gain weight like pellets.

Good luck with Clementine's urine leaking. Over my years with bunnies, several had similar issues and keeping them clean and dry can be a challenge.

Thank you. Madelyn has a vet appointment on Monday; and Raven is scheduled for a dental on Tuesday. I am hoping to either confirm or eliminate possible reasons.

Topping up the vibes, I hope the vet appointment goes well xx

Madelyn had her litterbox cleaned 2 hours ago and she got fresh hay and greens. She is not eating greens nor hay . She made pee no poo.
Will give Cisapride, She had metocloprimide and medicam 13 hours ago along with fluids.
Send poo vibes.

Sending loads of poo vibes for Madelyn. I hope she soon starts to improve. Also sending more vibes for Raven.

Sending loads of poo vibes for Madelyn. I hope she soon starts to improve. Also sending more vibes for Raven.

Thank you Omi. Madelyn made some nice poos shortly after getting the Cisapride. She also ate more hay so I wonder if it was the Cisapride, fluids, or extra Medicam (or something else) that made a difference.

Sending lots of poo vibes to Madelyn, topping the vibes up for Raven too xx

Thank you Zoobec. She did make some nice poos after her Cisapride. Then she made more after I finally got to sleep. I just cleaned her litterbox tonight so I am hoping to see some nice fresh poos.

Madelyn went to the vet this morning. I put her in her carrier early to see if I could get a urine sample. It took an hour before she made a very small amount of pee that was dark (not bright) red and very cloudy. I was not sure if it was enough to test so I waited for her to produce more urine and she then produced a lot of pee that was normal yellow and a bit cloudy. I also collected a few poos to show vet. Vet tested urine and said no blood in either sample, no signs of infection, and crystals were normal for a bunny.
Madelyn was a very good girl. Vet said good gut sounds (she got Cisapride about 8 1/2 hours earlier) and her bladder was small and he said the bladder walls felt thin, so not inflamed. She allowed him a good look at her teeth and from what could be seen conscious, she did not have sores though she had some points straight up on the tongue side of her lowers. His surgery schedule was very overbooked for tomorrow so I asked if I should bring her instead of Raven for the dental I had already scheduled for tomorrow. The next dental appointment was 3 weeks later and I spent the afternoon stressing over which bunny needed it more--Raven who had a dental in October with a confirmed history of dental issues who was stable with meds and making more normal poos after much supportive care; or Madelyn, who never had a dental in her 5 years and was making small, hard irregular poos. Then as the vets were closing I got a call that they had a cancellation and the vet thought I may want to bring them both for dentals tomorrow. I was overwhelmed with relief and cried some happy tears that neither of them would have to wait.

I am hoping Madelyn's issues are able to be solved by her first dental and that it will be her last dental for a long time.
I am also hoping Raven's progress will not be set back too much with this dental.

Please send me a double dose of vibes that Raven and Madelyn both have successful results from their dental's tomorrow. Madelyn was already spayed when I adopted her as a young adult so I have no idea how she will react to a GA. Raven had 3 dentals in 2019 so I am hoping his dental issues are not progressing.
They are both such good bunnies (as is my Heidi who decided it is time to moult this past weekend).

Last edited:
Madelyn went to the vet this morning. I put her in her carrier early to see if I could get a urine sample. It took an hour before she made a very small amount of pee that was dark (not bright) red and very cloudy. I was not sure if it was enough to test so I waited for her to produce more urine and she then produced a lot of pee that was normal yellow and a bit cloudy. I also collected a few poos to show vet. Vet tested urine and said no blood in either sample, no signs of infection, and crystals were normal for a bunny.
Madelyn was a very good girl. Vet said good gut sounds (she got Cisapride about 8 1/2 hours earlier) and her bladder was small and he said the bladder walls felt thin, so not inflamed. She allowed him a good look at her teeth and from what could be seen conscious, she did not have sores though she had some points straight up on the tongue side of her lowers. His surgery schedule was very overbooked for tomorrow so I asked if I should bring her instead of Raven for the dental I had already scheduled for tomorrow. The next dental appointment was 3 weeks later and I spent the afternoon stressing over which bunny needed it more--Raven who had a dental in October with a confirmed history of dental issues who was stable with meds and making more normal poos after much supportive care; or Madelyn, who never had a dental in her 5 years and was making small, hard irregular poos. Then as the vets were closing I got a call that they had a cancellation and the vet thought I may want to bring them both for dentals tomorrow. I was overwhelmed with relief and cried some happy tears that neither of them would have to wait.

I am hoping Madelyn's issues are able to be solved by her first dental and that it will be her last dental for a long time.

Please send me a double dose of vibes that Raven and Madelyn both have successful results from their dental's tomorrow. Madelyn was already spayed when I adopted her as a young adult so I have no idea how she will react to a GA. Raven had 3 dentals in 2019 so I am hoping his dental issues are not progressing.
They are both such good bunnies (as is my Heidi who decided it is time to moult this past weekend).
Oh bless her! Sending a million vibes for them both tomorrow, I really hope it all goes well and that recovery isn't too difficult for them both xx

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

Sending them both loads of vibes for their dentals tomorrow. I hope they both recover well.

Thanks for your support.
It is 6pm and we have been home 45 minutes.
Raven is more active. He ate some greens at vets.
Madelyn is alert yet quiet. Vet said she was coming out of her carrier which was in their cage to look around then she would run to hide in carrier. Vet said she ate a tiny bit of hay.
Both got medicam.
Raven and Madelyn both had identical points on tongue side of all lower molars and pre molars.
No sores. I am hoping they will eat enough to keep gi moving, and that this was the sole reason for stasis.

Thanks for your support.
It is 6pm and we have been home 45 minutes.
Raven is more active. He ate some greens at vets.
Madelyn is alert yet quiet. Vet said she was coming out of her carrier which was in their cage to look around then she would run to hide in carrier. Vet said she ate a tiny bit of hay.
Both got medicam.
Raven and Madelyn both had identical points on tongue side of all lower molars and pre molars.
No sores. I am hoping they will eat enough to keep gi moving, and that this was the sole reason for stasis.

I hope by now both Bunnies are brighter and that their Dentals have sorted out their GI tract motility problems. It would be good for you to be able to catch a break from all the stress involved when a Bunny(ies) are poorly xx

Back